Universal Contra: Evolution (by PunchBox Studios)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Jan 21, 2013.

1. SwordBytes

SwordBytes Active Member

May 17, 2013
    I've only just noticed that this game is the same as one I loved years ago. I spent a lot of money playing it!

It wasn't called Contra, though? I'm in the UK, and I'm sure it was called Gryzor or something?

I could be getting my games confused here. Probably am.

2. tblrsa

tblrsa Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Vienna
    It was also called Probotector or Operation C around here. ;)

3. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Yep in the 80s on the home computers it was Gryzor. In the original gameboy it was Operation C but the original from the arcades and the most well known name is Contra

4. AL3X83

AL3X83 Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2012
    #124 AL3X83, Jun 1, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2013
    Paying for diamonds to use continues??? I think I'll pass on this coulda been great title. They should have went freemium if they wanted to use inapp purchases. I would have gladly paid more for a version with no inapp purchases.

5. November's Chopin

November's Chopin Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2010
    On the contrary, the rate of Chinese pirating apps/games made by Chinese developers is extremely low, probably even lower than piracy rate of western games by westerners. Piracy only starts after many years the game is released (ie, when rarely anyone still buy it, or available in stores anyways). The idea is that they want to support Chinese developers in the gaming market, who really needs all the support they can get as China is very behind in developing games, especially 3D games, compared to Japan/Korea, due to complete lack of funds (government and Chinese traditions/ideologies views video games as detestable objects). If this game was developed by a western or Japanese (especially Japanese, given the anti-Japanese sentiment at the moment) team, rest assured it will be cracked within hours or days. I know this as I frequent several Chinese app forums, and you're not allowed to even request cracks for games made by Chinese developers.

6. Montanx

Montanx Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2012
    San Diego
    This is not in the US store it says.

7. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Seems to have been pulled already. Maybe they accidentally released early.

8. extol4000

extol4000 Member

May 9, 2012
    This was a major disappointment & is the only 'wtf' moment in the game. The game is hard enough as it is. I'm not spending $20+ to beat Contra on iOS. I too would have paid more money to avoid this bombshell.

9. mekanikal fiend

mekanikal fiend Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2010
    The controls stink. I kno it's on a touch screen, but these controls are the worst I ever seen. Plus dual currency on a paid game. Horrible. How are you supposed to aim diagonally without running off of all the tiny platforms?

10. warriorsage01

warriorsage01 New Member

Jun 1, 2013
  11. AL3X83

AL3X83 Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2012
    Yea Ikr what happen to freemium games having in app purchases and premium games being complete without in app purchases. So many devs ruining the gaming scene lately just trying to cash in big, some of my best apps are my oldest ones cause they are not tainted with in app purchases.

12. shawnbuddy

shawnbuddy Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2012
    Did Konami have anything to do with it? This doesn't really give me the feeling of an officially licensed release.

13. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    #133 Bool Zero, Jun 2, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2013
    Deleted

14. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    They allowed it to happen. I'd imagine the dev either paid to license the game for the port or is paying a royalty to konami for it.

Still, what a sad thing to happen to such a great license. Still I wish somebody would get hold of castlevania and give us some ports (upgraded or not) of the classic NES games as well as te fantastic GBA and DS games.

15. tblrsa

tblrsa Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Vienna
    Damn, what happened to this?

16. john360

john360 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    For mw control is absolute THE worst control. Its great you get item slot every level BUT still, this contra ruined the original franchise. Specially with the iap.

17. shawnbuddy

shawnbuddy Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2012
    Did Konami allow for it to happen? Or did they finally notice it and make Apple take it down? The fact that it disappeared makes me suspicious. Maybe it'll come back, though.

18. istako

istako Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2012
    I am... So sad this was taken down. I was waiting for my payday to come and for me to get my money so I can get it as soon as possible... And I am a few hours from receiving my cash... And its taken down... I feel... Violated, unlucky and... Why?

19. smj

smj Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2012
    This game is an embarrassment to contra. I'd rather play the ps1 games even.

20. emjeeman

emjeeman Active Member

Apr 30, 2012
    #140 emjeeman, Jun 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2013
    This game blows hard crap. This is not what Contra was about and I feared that this would happen to Contra after HCU. Combine the AWFUL controls to the "pay every 5 seconds" attitude of the game and you have the best justification to delete the app.

Imagine if the original arcade version required you to put in 50ยข for each weapon you picked up, for each life you wanted to gain (as opposed to gaining it by points), if a second player wanted to join, if you wanted to see the ending, if you wanted to put your hands back on the controls, etc. It's that bad.