Console Quality Mobile iPhone Games?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by iPodTouchMan15, Nov 24, 2010.

1. Stirolak26

Stirolak26 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2010
    2am trophy rally for iPad is like a full blown Colin McRae experience. At least the Colin McRae 3 to 5 era with less anti aliasing. It is really a game and gives u real adrenaline like driving experience with the iPads accelerometer. I also think samurai 2 is an amazing game with beautiful graphics on the iPad.

2. EpicAtheist

EpicAtheist Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2010
    OP, these are the best "console-like-quality" for the iOS for me. :3 You should definitely check them out. :D

1.) PoP: Warrior Within
    2.) Street Fighter 4
    3.) Galaxy on Fire 2
    4.) NFS Shift
    5.) Crimson Gem Saga
    6.) Resident Evil 4
    7.) GTA: CTW
    8.) COD: Zombies
    9.) Modern Combat 2: Black Pegasus
    10.) Chaos Rings

3. sticktron

sticktron Well-Known Member

#43 sticktron, Nov 27, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
    Honestly did noone get EA MMA? It really stands out as a leap in quality: excellent graphics, career, create-a-fighter, deep gameplay and a better MMA experience than UFC for PS3 (I haven't tried UFC2; also the iPhone UFC is a joke.

Oh and above: NFS Shift shouldn't be on that list: if you've played Most Wanted for PSP (like 5 years ago) you'll know what I mean. NFSHP is closer.

4. iPodTouchMan15

iPodTouchMan15 Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Thanks for the suggestions!

I am aware of most of these games, and they're on my wishlist. But keep up the debate! Oh yeah, and since I'm getting an iPod touch 4G for christmas (replacing my 2G), what games would be console quality on those? Like with the retina display and all? I am aware of Infinity Blade & Aralon BTW...

5. hlcc

hlcc New Member

Nov 29, 2010
    #45 hlcc, Nov 29, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
    the only "console quality" games on iOS are ports of console games. I use my iPhone for on the go casual gaming spurts, but in terms of game quality iOS games lags far behind those of PSP and NDS. ( Zenonia vs Dragon Quest IX, Chaos Rings vs Valkyria Chronicles of Crisis Core, Heroes of Sparta vs God of War Chain of Olympus or Ghost of Sparta, the list goes on)

6. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
    I think the iPad can provide better quality of gaming experience than the ds or psp and even touch only games on the ds like the new Mario vs dk get high ratings and can be done and more enjoyable due to the screen on the iPad. Plus the iPad also has a stylus so there is no reason an indie dev can't make such a game. Also some platformers like frogatto and gold miner are as fun to play as full ds 2d platformers. Plus on. The ipad you get constant game updates and support unlike the ds and psp and u don't have to break ur bank just by buying a few games that are just ps2 ports or dumbed down from the ps2 as is the case with psp.

7. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
    #47 Stirolak26, Nov 29, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
    And some iPhone games are also better like jet stunt cars is better IMO than any other handheld racer. And I can't think of any other mobile western rpg as good as Ravensword. Oh I forgot to mention games like 2am rally for iPad are as good as console Colin macro games and nothing on ds or psp can bring that experience due to controls and their small screens. The tilt controls I. That game are just done right. And the graphicsin reckless racing feel like ur looking from a birds eye view at a real race course. What psp or ds game even looks so good much less has similar gameplay? There are constant examples of advantages over those platforms we have. Who wants to have pockets full of a bunch of gadgets when u can just bring the iPad everywhere that does everything great and maybe have an iPhone in ur pocket as well since u need phone calls. And u mentioned some srpg games, but the ipad has Wesnoth and many others as well.

8. TNT_HEADSHOT

TNT_HEADSHOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2010
    yay your learning to post and not just make useless threads

9. hlcc

hlcc New Member

Nov 29, 2010
    you can't be serious. I like my iOS gaming for the portability and always being available (eg I always have my phone) but the quality of the games don't come close to those of the PSP or DS.
    You honestly think iOS racers such as jet stunt car, reckless, real racing etc are better than MOdNation Racers, Burnout Legend, Gran Turismo?
    As for RPG, I can easily name a few games thats leaps and bounds better than any RPG game on the iOS, eg. Valkyria 2, Persona 3, Kingdom of Hearts Birth by Sleep, Lunar and these are just some of the PSP RPGs released this year alone.

Also there's nothing on iOS that's even remotely close to Metal Gear Peace Walker, God of War Chains of Olympus, God of War Ghost of Sparta, Resistance, Ratchet Clank etc in terms of quality.

iOS gaming is great for what it's intended for, eg ease of gaming, easy pick up and constant availability but in terms of game quality is not a competition to DS or PSP. If I know i'll need some portable gaming ( on the plane, rail etc) I'll absolutely bring my DS and PSP.

10. jasonc506

jasonc506 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2010
    So hlcc your saying the iOS games have to beat the best psp games. Believe it or not there are many, many games on the psp that don't match God of War, MGS: PW, Kingdom hearts. There are plenty of iOS games that are just as good as psp games, I'm not saying they are as good as the best psp games but as good as your average psp games.

11. hlcc

hlcc New Member

Nov 29, 2010
    Of course I'm only comparing the best from the PSP and the best fro iOS, do we have time to waste our time on some mediocre games? I don't. I don't even have time to play all of the best games.
    The best games from PSP or NDS are leaps and bounds better than the best games on iOS (for obvious reasons, companies allocate much more resources and $$ to develop those high rated PSP&NDS games. a luxury iOS game developers don't have).

12. madmud101

madmud101 Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    But if you compared your average iOS game with your average PSP game (a bit more fair), you would definitely see a difference.

The load of crap that fills up the App Store outweighs the number of crap games on the PSP.

But the iOS is still great, and I would much rather have an iPhone 4 than the new PSP Go.

13. Videotape

Videotape Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2009
    student, journeyman
    pallet town
    it boggles me that people dont think Jet Car Stunts or Spider are console quality

14. Dan007

Dan007 Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2009
    Russia
    Aralon: Sword and Shadow will DEFINITELY be a console-quality game, and for breath-taking fights and TRUE current-gen console-like graphics wait for infinity blade. Dead Rising Mobile seems like its gonna be amazing as well, bringing the original gameplay to the iphone. Whatever you say, I think iphone is a spectacular gaming device my friends.