Console Quality Mobile iPhone Games?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by iPodTouchMan15, Nov 24, 2010.

1. YouSuckDude

YouSuckDude Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Above My Postcount
    Modern Combat 2
    Galaxy on Fire 2
    Prince of Persia Warrior within

2. hkiphone

hkiphone Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2008
    TBH, I thought Real Racing was a proper console-quality game comparable to Ridge Racer on PS1 and Daytona USA on Saturn when they first came out. There's a whole generation or two between the iDevices and current consoles. You're not going to really see games being as extensive or brilliant as Gears of War for afew years (and don't expect the earlier iDevices to be able to play them at that point either).

3. Vinvy

Vinvy Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2010
    All so far mentioned kind of fail to grasp what makes a good complete console quality game, and if up-ported from the iphone would recieve overwhelmingly bad reviews in their current state. MC2, as has been said earlier, has terrrible AI, and a boring campaign, and for me stale/cramped level design(this is essentially the problem with all Gameloft games, which play and look stellar). Street Fighter 4 and Prince of Persia lost controls and content and graphics, gained loading times and choppy animation. CoD:zombies is just a part of a full fledged console game. Chinatown wars is actually just a great port of great handheld game(i don't know why people think this qualifies it for being a console quality experience, when for me it immidately disqualifies it). RageHD is more of a great arcade cabinet shooting gallery experience(still way too short), or (inreality) a simple teaser for the real console/PC game. Lego Harry Potter is again the handheld version of the game, and at that has less than stellar controls, and irritating loads that chop up the game. Real Racing doesn't compare to the Real Console Racers in content(let's hope the sequel ups the ante though). Samurai 2, while great, lacks content, depth, and lasting appeal(compare it to Ninja Gaiden on the xbox). Or hey, let's compare Ravensword to Morrowind. Or Resident Evil 4, to.. Resident Evil 4. Or Katamari Damacy to..

Sorry, but the best iPhone games, are the ones designed for the iPhone(think Squareball, Beyond Ynth, Angry Birds, Love Battle Princess, Sentinel, Spider,). The games that feel like mobile games; there are lot's of good games that feel like console games, but they aren't as good as console games, and they aren't even really as good as iPhone games, and you just have to be happy with that.

4. spacecowgoesmoo

spacecowgoesmoo Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Composer / Level Designer @ Bovinedragon Software
    Los Angeles, USA
    Prince of Persia - Warrior Within - PS2
    Crimson Gem Saga - PSP
    Phoenix Wright - DS
    i <3 Katamari - PS2
    Lego Harry Potter - DS
    GTA Chinatown Wars - DS
    Sonic 4 - Multiplatform
    Final Fantasy 1 & 2 - Multi

And all those Sega Genesis Ports as well. There's probably more but I don't want to spend hours researching this :)

5. Omega-F

Omega-F Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    Does it have the same features as the console versions?

6. alchemistrpm

alchemistrpm Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2010
    I thought that was Qordobo.

7. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Chaos Rings all the way.

8. Tmonine

Tmonine Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2009
    Casual
    Australia
    I consider Lego Harry potter to be console quality

9. Qordobo

Qordobo Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    I haven't even post in this thread!

I wonder how I can obsess you so much with my "non sense" posts. :rolleyes: Cool down your nerves and temper your hate I won't be the first that totally disagree with you. :D

10. Wediafom24

Wediafom24 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2010
    Student
    Asmara, Eritrea
    Well, so far I would say FIFA 11( if you're a hardcore soccer fan, then you would enjoy the great player animation including the commentary and the gameplay! My second one on the list would be spiderman: total mayhem( gameloft's best so far! Third one would be COD Zombies! Fourth one would be street fighter and last but not least: GOF 2!

I love sport games and FIFA 11 is my all time fave!

11. TenNix

TenNix New Member

Nov 25, 2010
    If it's Handheld game console quality, then I'll answer a YES for it.
    But if you're referring to a Video game console quality, obviously it's a NO.

The reason is pretty clear as mentioned by many others above. I guess there's no need to repeat the same thing over and over and over again.

12. alchemistrpm

alchemistrpm Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Hate? :confused: I freakin love you cap'n. What are you goin on about.

13. jasonc506

jasonc506 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2010
    I think people are going a little overboard here. To me console quality means gameplay that is polished and deep, decent graphics (that doesn't have to mean 360 quality), basically games that you might see on a console. My choices are
    1. Spider-man: Total Mayhem
    2. Modern Combat 2 (which I thought the campaign was great and multiplayer is better than most console games)
    3. Prince of Persia: Warrior Within
    4. Chaos Rings
    5. Samurai 2 (though it was a bit short)
    6. Lego Harry Potter
    7. Need for Speed Games and Real Racing
    8. Madden 11 and NFL 2011
    9. Nova
    10. The Sims Games (even though they were dumbed down a bit)

Those are just some of my opinions.

14. Eddie

Eddie Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2010
    In no particular order:

GTA: Chinatown Wars
    Lego Harry Potter
    Samurai 2 Vengeance
    iBlast Moki
    Let's Golf
    FIFA 11 (still needs the Manager Mode update)
    Plants vs Zombies

15. Stirolak26

Stirolak26 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2010
    #35 Stirolak26, Nov 26, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2010
    To me console quality would mean a game that if it came out on a console would at least get respectable sales or reviews or at least be competitive on the pen or live arcade if not in a package.I think samurai 2, total mayhem, reckless racing, prince of Persia, call of duty zombies could all come out on he wii or be respectable pan or xbox live releases but couldn't compete with the beat games on those systems (but could on wii due to wii being a 2d platformer and sport back fest and first party dominance with not much other competition).

16. Stirolak26

Stirolak26 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2010
    #36 Stirolak26, Nov 26, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2010
    But at the same time do you guys ever think well get the quality of stuff that is currently possible on the advices like dk returns or Kirbys yarn? Imagine how fun and awesome it would-be to get such high production platformers on the go and the iPads big beautiful screen. but why is it that the psp and ds have such crappy lineups compared to consoles yet the games always cost so much new on them and after the systems are so outdated by now. Why don't more ppl embrace the app store nowadays and wonder why the ds and pap aren't even dead yet wince idevice games IMO are much runner and cheaper and better. The pep has a horrible dpad and nub and can't play much and th ds gets dk vs mario touch games that could easily be Ported or copied to the advices. There is even a stylus u can buy for iPad. I mean shouldn't the app store have at least destroyed overpriced console and handheld shover ware for now? You guys remember the times of early psp and ds when $40 shovel ware was the norm with not much effort like barbies for ds or zombie infection for psp or other crap now you get for $1 on the app store?

17. orinationx2

orinationx2 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2010
    trollface.jpg

>mfw Infinity Blade hasn't been mentioned yet.

18. sticktron

sticktron Well-Known Member

EA released two console quality games last month. Finally. These are truly PSP-equivalent-or-better: EA MMA, Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit.

19. bigred447uk

bigred447uk Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    I think the OP was looking for game suggestions rather than endless debate.

I would suggest :-

1/ Jet Car Stunts

2/ POP: Warrior Within

3/ Crimson Gem Saga

4/ GTA Chinatown Wars

5/ Lego Harry Potter

20. Krehol Games

Krehol Games Well-Known Member

sense

As a developer and consumer I see alot of console quality like games on iphone. I also see people find one or 2 things wrong with a game then write the game off as junk. If your looking for console like games for 99 cents , its not going to happen.