Console Quality Mobile iPhone Games?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by iPodTouchMan15, Nov 24, 2010.

1. iPodTouchMan15

iPodTouchMan15 Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2010
    What kind of real console quality games are there out there? I have a lot of Gameloft, EA, etc., and I realise that there are many clones out there, but I was wondering about some close to console quality ones? Like, for example, 'Red Dead Redemption', 'Batman Arkham Asylum', or 'Fable 2'? Anything like that coming out soon?

P.S. What really interests me is that 'Uncharted' clone by Gameloft. Excited :)

2. Frand

Frand Well-Known Member

Since Flight Control is out on PS3, it's obviously console quality :)

3. Omega-F

Omega-F Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    Honestly, it's kind of silly trying to find something of the quality of the games you mentioned. Those games often have INSANE budgets, teams of over 100+ people, etc. You'll not find those experiences on the iDevices, where games have to be sold for a buck in order to be succesful.

And no, the gameloft games do not count. Those games would be considered terrible on other platforms.

What you'll find on the iPhone are great casual games. From my experience, hardcore "console-like" games do not work well on the system.

4. zman2100

zman2100 Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Investment Consultant
    Jacksonville, FL
    Galaxy on Fire 2 is a great game that has amazing visuals, gameplay, and story. If you're looking for something that is done well for the iPhone then be sure to check it out. It looks and feels like a "console-quality" title.

5. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    #5 dumaz1000, Nov 24, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2010
    There are no console quality iDevice games. There are some high-quality premium iDevice games. The closest you can get really are the games that have been ported over from other systems. I hesitate to call them console quality. Something is always missing or something has been sacrificed. Usually, the content or lack there of leaves much to be desired.

When that d-pad update for LEGO Harry Potter comes out, I will say LEGO Harry Potter will be the closest. GTA:CTW would need voice-overs in order for me to consider it true console-quality (even though the orginal DS version doesn't have it, still, it's lacking without them).

The single-player is repetitive and the AI is dumb in Modern Combat 2. The story is unfocused and the characters are much flatter. MC2 is a step back in terms of campaign from the orginal, although MP is great.

The voice-over work in GOF 2 is terrible. And I believe there would be interactive 3-D interiors in GOF 2 if it were truly console quality. It would be somewhat similar to Mass Effect, only with an emphasis on dog fighting.

I am a firm believer that you get what you pay for. A true console quality experience will almost always cost you a console quality price. A range that hovers somewhere between 4.99-0.99c, with an occassional jump to 6.99 or 9.99 isn't going to net you a whole lot of console-quality games. Not surprising since console games usually retail for 59.99 a piece.

6. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Prince of Persia: Warrior Within is console quality (except for some control issues... but I really enjoyed it.)

7. tsharpfilm

tsharpfilm Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    Whaaaaa? I thought the voice work in GOF2 was great.

8. McCREE

McCREE Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2010
    there are plenty of games that rise to the top of the pack, but nothing on the appstore is 'console quality'. plenty of things are on par with mobile platforms though. a few have been mentioned...galaxy on fire 2 and lego potter come to mind...the CAVE games are pretty sick...usually when people around here talk about what the best games are, as a whole, they are right...so anything that you see being raved about on here is probably a good bet.

the games you mentioned are in a different league.

9. ManofAegis

ManofAegis Well-Known Member

May 1, 2010
    California, USA
    #9 ManofAegis, Nov 24, 2010
    You should wait for Aralon: Sword and Shadow. By the looks of it and all the effort the developers have put into it, it may be one of the better (if not best) games on the idevice and closest to console quality requirements.

Also, you can't forget Call of Duty: World at War Zombies. That's one of the closest console quality games I can think of that is currently out

10. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    #10 LBG, Nov 24, 2010
    "Console-quality" is a really bad term as it can have multiple meanings (different consoles) and if it's taken to mean "the same quality as a current gen console game", then in what aspect? I've seen iPhone games that have better graphics, story lines and controls than current generation console games, but I'd hesitate before calling them "console-quality". The term "console-quality" should be banned, IMO :p. It's just way too ambiguous.

But there are some really great games on the iPhone. Many exceed overall quality than games on other portable platforms like the PSP and DS, even though iPhone games cost a fraction of the price.

11. kingkong120

kingkong120 Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    Really? I thought that MC2 was a step forward in terms of campaign and that the excellent multiplayer was a big bonus. Anyway, I do agree with what you say. Either way you look at it, "console-quality" can mean something for everyone. So, in the end, I'm going to go ahead and enjoy what's offered for the platform I'm playing.

12. iPodTouchMan15

iPodTouchMan15 Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Imo

I'm really just looking for a good clone by gameloft or someone else of a free roam game... I just wish we had Read Dead Redemption for the iPhone. And I think that a Gears of War clone would be amazing as well.

13. alchemistrpm

alchemistrpm Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Funny how we get hung up on semantics around here. We all know what he means when he says "console quality."

I have to say Black Pegasus and Galaxy on Fire 2 (despite brevity of main story line) are the closest to this ideal.

14. Krehol Games

Krehol Games Well-Known Member

console

Well 1st you have to factor in cost of product and selling price . Ok lets look at a console game in general terms

buy a license about 5$ off of each game
    Shiping cost about 15$ off of each game
    Overhead is about 10$ off of each game

Total that is $30 dollars without a profit . So the remaining 20-30$ is the profit
    of the console game if it sells all of thier copies. Now in iphone you can take off the license and shipping price. Thats $20 off and your left with $40 a game. Now lets say the company doesnt try to gain such a large profit.

Lets say they will try to earn $10 a game. The final price would be around
    $ 20 for a console game at cheapest . Will iphone buyers pay such a premium price ? I dont think so if people are fighting hard about $1.99 or $2.99 being "extremly high price" .

15. exgamer

exgamer Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2010
    sense

@krehol games

That makes no sense what so ever!!!

16. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Street Fighter IV is console quality.

17. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    .... says the king of nonsense.

18. exgamer

exgamer Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2010
    cb

You tried to make a comeback but you FAIL

19. Zevious Zoquis

Zevious Zoquis Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Canada
    Lots of the games I've got on the iphone are as good as or better than games I've downloaded on the PSN. Are people seriously expecting to get games on a portable (any portable) equal to what they can find on their PS3 or 360? I think quite a few games I have are at least as good as anything I've played on other portable game systems. You guys do realize that games like Red Dead are about 6 gigs in size right? Why do people even bring up home consoles when they talk about iphone games? Its totally unrealistic...

20. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    No you fail, you're banned :p