Universal Connectrode (by Deep Plaid Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by syntheticvoid, Jul 2, 2011.

1. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    I added a 5 star review on iTunes, this game deserve this. Also, is there anything in the update beyond GameCenter? Perhaps a new mode or something like that?

2. strayrobot1

strayrobot1 Active Member

I love this game. But if I had two wishes I would ask for smaller levels (quarter or half option??) and I would ask for harder levels. I want to puzzle through something reaaally tough - feels too easy even on extreme.

Awesome graphics too, nice theme.

3. jyhjyh

jyhjyh Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Denmark
    Great - looking forward to the update :)

4. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    WOOHOO!!! Game's in the New & Noteworthy section in the US AppStore!!! CONGRATS!! =oD

5. nonentity

nonentity Active Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Way to go Deep Plaid!

So glad this is doing well for you!

Since I helped out a bit in the beginning stages of this game, I feel a great sense of pride that it's doing so well. Proud of you!

Now where's mah iPad version?

Also, BWOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWW.

6. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

Just got a "Portabliss" shout out through Joystiq! Awesome :)

Any chance of an HD or Universal version (the latter, please!! :))

7. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Haven't seen much action on this thread lately and was wondering if audio options/Game Center integration are still planned. I hope so, as this is a really solid puzzle game that I think would benefit from both additions.

8. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    WOOHOO!!!

The update just went live

Version 1.1.0 -

- GameCenter support for leaderboards! Access the leaderboards on the "Scores" screen. Compare your high scores with you rfriends!
    - A change to the scoring system; previously the "Triple Clear" 500-point bonus would never combine with the "streak bonus". Now they do so! If you make 5 normal clears in a row followed by a Triple Clear, the last clear will be worth a total of 1000 points!
    - Anotehr scoring change: we removed the upper limit on the streak bonus - now your streaks of 9 or more will just keep getting bigger!
    - Added volume control for both music and sound fx. To control this, go to your phone's settings and look for the "Connectrode" settings panel; change the volumes there and relaunch the app.
    - For impatient players; you can now skip the clear animations; simplyl tap while the animation is taking place and it will end instantly, letting you go right on to make your next move.

=oD

Sounds like one hell of an update!!! Thank you so much!! I'm all sorts of excited to check it out

9. DeepPlaid

DeepPlaid Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Yes! Also, although I didn't list it, we added a "please rate this game" prompt, which is something we should have had from the beginning... we've had thousands of sales but only have 61 ratings!

Of course something else we wanted at launch was to have volume control. You can now control that! (You'll have to get to it through a "Connectrode" panel in the "Settings" app... and on multitasking devices, you'll have to close and re-launch the app for it to recognize the new audio settings... but the volume controls are there!)

GameCenter leaderboards was NOT something I had planned for the first version... as a player, I hardly use GC at all. But there was so much clamor for it on these forums that that's definitely part of this version!

WHAT'S IN THE NEXT UPDATE? Good question, thanks for asking! This update took us a long time but that was partly because these features weren't all that fun to work on. :) However adding a totally new mode to the game is very fun to work on... so I'll be prototyping some new modes, and we hope to find an exciting new mode to add! In particular I know that many TouchArcade fans have wanted a harder mode so we'll be sure to explore that.

We already have a number of ideas in mind. But feel free to suggest things you'd like to see in the game, perhaps it will encourage us in which direction we should continue going down and which ideas we should explore!

10. andsoitgoes

Big question that I'd really like to know....

Are you going to do a universal build, iPad only? Anything? Please :)

Oh and if you allow this on the iPad, I'd LOVE it if you could make it workable in landscape mode :)

You'd be my heroes :)

11. EnShinNoi

EnShinNoi Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2011
    Cool I was waiting for this update! Now to topple the leaderboards :D

12. DeepPlaid

DeepPlaid Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Hey Connectrode fans,

After launching Connectrode last year we got very distracted (mostly due to the invasion of our home, Austin, by a marauding band of nomadic robot barbarians... also some tax stuff). So we really only had time for a couple of bug fixes. But now that things have settled down and we're used to the new schedule of curfews and daily mandatory gladiatorial combat, we've started looking at making a new, harder mode to Connectrode.

Here's my question for the TA crowd. Everyone on here seems to be asking for a universal or iPad version. I have to say I don't get this - maybe its just that we think the game looks good when scaled up and pixelated. (Although I guess that the iPad's scaling-up makes it look less pixelated and more fuzzy, so it would be nice if we could at least control that.)

But was there something you folks wanted from a Universal version aside from a slicker look? We've been thinking about doing a mode with a larger board, we wondered if the TA community had any interest in a feature like that?

Gotta go now, it's time to armor up. Wish me luck!

13. DeepPlaid

DeepPlaid Member

Nov 5, 2010
    version 2.0 update

Hey guys,

Well it's been a long time since we've updated this game or posted here, but a lot has happened. I (this is Shay Pierce) actually ended up having to make a huge life decision due to Connectrode; my employer, OMGPOP, was purchased by Zynga and it looked like I would lose control of Ctrode if I accepted. They refused to clarify whether this was even the case and I ended up walking away. I told this story in the press and some drama ensued - the outpouring of support from the gamer community and the world of indie games was heartwarming.

Long story short: we decided we need to revisit Connectrode and add some of the features that have been often requested in this very thread:

• All-New 'Push Mode': Finally an infinite-play mode! Survive as long as you can!
    • iPad/Retina support: Connectrode is now a universal app! The menus have been redone in higher resolution, and gameplay is now crisply pixelated like God intended!
    • Colorblind support: Finally the colorblind can play, by customizing the piece colors to shades they're able to distinguish. Or, customize the piece colors just for fun!

We also added some bug fixes (our Twitter integration was broken) and we put the sfx/music volume "knobs" inside the game itself rather than just hidden in the iOS Settings app.

For those of you who haven't followed the other updates, we also added GameCenter support sometime last year - just leaderboard support.

You can buy the app here: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/connectrode/id438450056

We did a blog post with more thoughts and info about the update here.

This will probably be the last Connectrode update but it's a big one! Try the new mode, let us know any bugs (you can email DeepPlaid at gmail)... please rate us, and share the game with your friends!

Yes, the usual spiel, but it does make a huge difference. :) Thanks guys!!!

14. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Great news! This is definitely one of my favorite puzzle games from the past year, and although it doesn't really *need* anything else, it's awesome to see an infinite game mode coming. Really looking forward to it!

Also, kudos for sticking to your guns with the Zynga situation. I actually purchased the game after hearing about that to give support and was pleased to find that the game is more than worth the asking price anyway. :)

15. Baron Cappuccino

Baron Cappuccino Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Aug 1, 2011
    Member-Owner Steampunk Cafe, LLC
    Plainfield, CT
    I, too, got Connectrode after reading the back story. I didn't regret it.

16. andsoitgoes

I posted this in the blog comments but I want to post it here too. Mainly because I'm an attention whore?

Anyway. It's long. I ramble. I'm sorry. here's the letter now.

17. DeepPlaid

DeepPlaid Member

Nov 5, 2010
    I saw this before on my blog, sorry I didn't have time to reply to it. Thanks for all the kind words, the Zynga decision was very hard, but I haven't regretted it.

Writing the article was interesting given that it got way, way more exposure than I expected (Forbes and CBS News covered it...!). Let's just say that it's weird to watch yourself become a meme. I'm also glad that I took steps to clarify things in the article which might have gotten sensationalized. (Of course the story still managed to get sensationalized somewhat.)

But I'm glad I shared the story (in spite of some of the uglier sides of internet drama that emerged from it). The outpouring of support like yours was really unexpected, appreciated, and inspiring. People now identify me with creative integrity and the indie spirit... which is something I deeply appreciate, and I feel real responsibility to live up to that reputation.

I'm focusing on a new project these days and I'm afraid it won't be primarily an iOS title... it's something that would fit better on Steam I think. I hope people continue to enjoy Connectrode for a long time (Laura still plays it every night which is really incredible to me)... but even while I was making the 2.0 update I was very ready to move on to something more new and exciting.

18. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    #58 slewis7, Jul 18, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
    I just saw this thread for the first time and I certainly respect and appreciated DeepPlaid's story (I admit it, I despise Zynga), so I bought the game in support. The big bonus is it an excellent game and it plays and looks great on my iPad.

Unfortunately, a number of game modes are not posting scores to the appropriate Game Center leader boards. Also, it would be nice if there was a GC leader board for the Push mode (which is a very cool mode).

19. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    To correct my previous message, Game Center scores are posting correctly, but there is a delay before they show up.

The thing that makes this game so good is that it is simple to play but there appears to be a lot of strategy involved in maximizing your score. I have played all the different difficulties and modes quite a bit already but I find myself still wanting to play further to figure out new scoring tactics. To me, that is what makes for an excellent puzzle game and also what makes it fair to put Connectrode at the level of some of the other classic games already mentioned in this thread.

20. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    I tried the Push Mode, this kind of thing is right up my alley, but it seems pointless, it never gets any harder and so I can survive forever. Doing the same things over and over eventually gets monotonous, not fun. Is it supposed to get harder? I think the point of most infinite-play modes is that it keeps getting harder and so you will eventually lose (and not just give up from boredom).