Congratulations arn!!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by matt, Jul 22, 2008.

1. hazmat95

hazmat95 Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2009
    6 FIGURES!!!!!! wow.

btw i knew he was behind mac rumours, but i didnt know taht it was soooooo large...
    i thought TA was larger :p

2. supg328911

supg328911 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    pro ping pong player!!!!
    USA BABY
    holy cow arn mad mac rumors......gosh i didnt know that....well congrats doctor..:D

3. Fazzy

Fazzy Well-Known Member

Yay arn... I made you a wikipedia article. And I didn't know how old you were, so I said 207 (Am i close?)

Attached Files:

4. ibelongintheforums

ibelongintheforums Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    heres an thing to edit

"not only has arnold kim demonstated that asians run succsesful websites but also that they could be extremely good looking"

;)

5. GatorDeb

GatorDeb Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    You're a doctor and you're responsible for MacRumors?! :eek:

6. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
    Hah... thanks for the support brewstermax.

Fortunately, you are mistaken. :)

arn

7. Burton

Burton Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Canada
    Heh, successful bloggers make a lot more then you'd expect..

8. pablo19

pablo19 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2008
    ass-kisser?? sorry and I;m with brewster but arn probably gets more freetime from blogging than being a doctor.

9. Tennisking1o1

Tennisking1o1 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    If you read the article you could see that he is successfully raking in a 6-Figure salary with blogging, and as his sites expand they can only appreciate in value. I'm not trying to argue or start a fight, but if he is happy with his choice and feels confident in it (which I'm sure he does) then who are you to say he made a bad life choice?

10. pante

pante Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    somewhere
    arn.
    all the best!

pante,
    from poland! :)

11. taran420

taran420 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2009
    if i can correctly guess, i think he's behind appshopper as well, i might be wrong

12. dashzed

dashzed Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2009
    you live in Richmond? cool I'm in Charlottesville.

congrats you ur success man, I love this site, it just needs a mobile version.

13. MuN

MuN Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Game Developer
    Las Vegas, NV
    He is one of the very rare people I've seen in life who can manage all this very professionally without decreasing the quality, yet be so humble about it. He has awesome manners, deals with every criticism in a professional attitude without getting into any argument. That's really rare to see. He deserves all the attention and respect he gets. I'd love to meet him in person one day.

For the long term life choice - I think life is much more than a 6 figure salary. I hope he makes millions, but if he doesn't it really doesn't matter. Doing what you like, deciding on where you can divert your talent, where you can improve yourself, where you can be the most productive etc are much more valuable than money. My husband and I quit our 6-figure jobs 5 months ago - our current income is nowhere near what we used to make, but we couldn't be happier.

14. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, I'm afraid that I'm not. Think about it. If Steve Jobs never comes back, every single one of your websites are out of business. But, besides that, I'm not sure how much you make, but it isn't 6 figures, and perhaps you do enjoy this more, but you went to medical school for a long time to just throw it away. I don't understand it.

I was trying to be semi-supportive. I just couldn't bring myself to endorse such a bad decision.

15. CandyNJ66

CandyNJ66 Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Writer
    Holy cow...I did not know this!

16. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Kinda like Matt Damon. He had 6 months of med school to go and quit to go into acting :p

17. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
    What if "blogging" brought in 1 million a year? 5 million a year? 10 million a year? Is it a bad decision still? Obviously, the equation changes depending on that variable, which you admit that you don't know.

If you had read the article, you would have seen that blogging income exceeded my physician income and was 6 figures when the NY times article was written.

There were many factors in my decision to quit medicine. Spending more time with the family and doing what I enjoy were the main reasons. What I think that some people don't realize is that there comes a time when staying with the more "stable" job is a bigger financial risk than quiting it. The iShoot developer quit his programming day job (let's assume he made 70k) after making $800,000 in a few weeks. For him, staying at the $70k 40hr/week job risked the future of that $800,000 revenue stream, while quitting it only risked his $70k/year day-job and opened the possibility of far more.

arn

18. GatorDeb

GatorDeb Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    Say it ain't so! :eek: You are becoming a legend, arn! :D

19. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

But, the internet is a huge variable to be depending on. While I don't discredit it as many have, it is still not the best/most stable way to get income. At least the internet is recession proof. Apple products seem to be. :cool:

I did read the article. Most of it. I'm shocked that it could bring in that much, but either way, it is. It is encouraging, to do that, but just as Ethan Nicholas quit his job, which I also thought was a bad decision, the income and iPhone platform aren't very stable, nor long term. I'm just saying that you aren't guaranteed to keep making that money year after year. Things change with the internet, it has over and over.

For Ethan, the question isn't that you have a job or you develop, it was being opportunistic. He quit to continue developing, which may bring in money until either a.) Someone makes something that is more powerful, does more, looks better, and has a better distro platform. or b.) PRESS RELEASE Steve Jobs dies suddenly. Apple left in disorder. That would kill both TA and MR. Hate for it to happen. But Apple is nothing without Steve Jobs. And while neither of these are likely, you must consider the possibility. He could have enough saved to last. Your decision wasn't one of money, but time and happiness. Perhaps there is no difference, and I'm just being too perspective, but I wouldn't trust something as unstable as the internet to depend my life on.

20. taran420

taran420 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2009
    ^^^^ apple isn't going to fold even if jobs isn't around