Computer/iTunes/Mac Gurus

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by marlenedegrood, Jun 20, 2009.

1. marlenedegrood

marlenedegrood Well-Known Member

I have 2 situations. 1. I have a 3g iPhone and would like to upgrade to the 3.0 software but I'm traveling for work for 3 months and only have my powerbook with me which is not my primary iphone synced computer (although authorized). 2. I'd like to buy the new 3Gs but for the reasons above I fear that I may run into trouble because I could sync the new iPhone to my "traveling" powerbook but when I get home I'll want to sync it to my desktop mac. So ..... is there a way around this without a lot of hacking? Because I really want the new 3Gs .... should I just wait until mid Sept. when I return home to buy it? I sooooo value the advise I get here vs. anywhere else.

2. Prab

Prab Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    You may want to check with an Apple genius (call tech support) to confirm this, but I think you don't need to hack anything. It's perfectly fine to:
    1. Have two devices for the same iTunes account.
    2. Have one iTunes account synced to 2 different machines.

For (1), you just need to restore from backup so that the second newer device gets all the data copied from the old device.

3. marlenedegrood

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I think that your best advise is to call tech support but I'm guessing they're pretty busy right now. It would seem only right to be able to have 1 device work with 2 computers but I know Apple is pretty fussy about only have 1 sync. I have no problem purchasing and downloading music and apps but I would sure hate for something to go wrong and lose my phone service for even a day. I guess I should just deal with a long wait for tech support . . . At least I have a good amount of roll over minutes.
    Thanks again

4. hkiphone

hkiphone Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2008
    Be careful

Hi Marlene,
    I have my first gen iPhone synced to the mac mini at home. However, when I connect it to the work PC which is also authorised with my iTunes account, it recognises the iPhone in the sidebar, but am wary of syncing, because there are no songs on the work PC. I think I also remember seeing once that there was a warning message saying that you can only sync to one machine. In short, you need to ask Apple Support for a quick answer.

Due to the time constraints that you have, and the exhaustive efforts by VoodooVyper in backing up and getting things normal again, I would recommend that you wait until you get back. By then, any bugs or issues with the first round of 3GS should have been addressed, and you can still work as before.

5. marlenedegrood

Thank you ... I think I will take your advise .... hard as it is to wait, I need my phone and certainly all my apps. I have read VoodooVyper's problems .... yikes!

6. looman9635

looman9635 Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2009
    you can always just uncheck the sync songs thing if you don't want thew songs changing as long as its authorized

7. marlenedegrood

Well I have it set to sync manually but what about applications? I have 9 pages of apps on my iPhone but only about 10 applications within iTunes on my laptop. On my home computer if I buy an app directly from my iPhone and then sync it to my computer the app is transferred into my applications. I'm not sure what will happen here, I mean my laptop is authorized but I'm still kind of afraid.

I don't even have any music on my iPhone since I have an iPod Touch and several other iPods that I use for music.

8. looman9635

looman9635 Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2009
    it will sync purchased items to the computer or just buy them again off your idevice

9. Prab

Prab Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    I think there is an option under the File menu to transfer purchases from the device to iTunes. Just make sure you turn off the sync when connected option.