Universal Company of Heroes (by Feral Interactive)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Feb 12, 2020.

1. chengchisang

chengchisang Well-Known Member

May 25, 2018
    #21 chengchisang, Feb 13, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
    Silly question: if I don't play RTS, would I enjoy this?

Put it this way, I play only Close Combat, would I enjoy this?

2. Jackaluk

Jackaluk Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2015
    Lol, it is a stupid question! How the hell will any of us know if you will like it??? Watch game play videos, figure out for yourself if it you think you might like it!!

but for the record I’ll say you will!

3. Skall

Skall Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Damn drinking battery... this time
    40% for 1:30 hour in game...
    Hope they can address this (ipad pro 12,9 2015)

4. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    @Skall did you try to enable Battery saver? It says it limits the performance to extend battery life and since you’re on iPad Pro, you’re playing with higher frame rate, so this might help. Won’t make a big difference on regular iPad, but due to lower graphic settings it’s not even necessary.

5. Skall

Skall Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2009
    I have seen the option but before using it, i wanted to know if i was the only one to have this battery drainer feeling or not in fact

about the graphics, i do admit that the texture are very low... even though i have downloaded the high res package (or something like this)

6. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    I can’t complain on battery life in general cause it’s never been an issue for me. I expect graphically highly demanding games to drain the battery in a few hours so it’s not a big deal. If it gives me 3+ hours of uninterrupted gameplay away from the power source, I’m fine with that.

Also the regular iPad is barely getting hot in comparison to iPad Pro. I wish there was an additional graphic settings instead of auto detection. For example the lack of shadows on regular non-pro iPad is a dealbreaker for me. I hate games without shadows.

You need to keep in mind this is a port of game from 2006, so hires textures doesn’t mean the same as current standards. I’m very satisfied with how the game looks on iPad Pro. It’s still much better looking than original (with high resolution texture pack). Unfortunately, for gaming I’m using strictly my regular iPad. And it’s hardly as impressive there.

Anyway, the battery saver should solve your issue and you won’t be able to tell the differences in visuals because there aren’t any. It’s just lower frame rate but still in stable 30fps which is perfectly enough for RTS genre if you ask me.

7. Skall

Skall Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2009
    #27 Skall, Feb 14, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    I did finish the game back in the old days so i m very well aware and can confirm that it s way uglier about the texture on my ipad pro 2015. That may be due to some « auto-setup » but i cant tell.

the 3 hour-ish battery is indeed very annoying at my end but i will have to suck it up.

i indeed fully agree that 30fps is much more than enough for RTS in general!

8. gmattergames

gmattergames Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2013
    Universal planned?

9. Yes but they cant push it at the same time as the ipad release. Maybe they didnt want to delay anymore and just published the ipad game first

10. Gavx

Gavx Active Member

Jul 5, 2013
    One of best all time classics online games without multiplayer feature and cost above steam version .??? Sorry guys Refund :( Add must have features and I will buy this again

11. stelph

stelph Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 16, 2016
    I have to say I am absolutely loving the game – given it was originally a AAA PC game which was warmly received back in 2006 its no surprise that its an absolute blast to play. I especially like how no two levels are the same, not just from an environment point of view but also from the type of gameplay, some levels you are the aggressor and are forceably pushing back the Axis often with superior firepower and armour, other times you are heavily outnumbered and outgunned and desperately attempting to defend a position. Its these differences that drags you into the game and makes sure it doesn’t get “stale” – love it

Feral have done a great job with the port IMO, yes the graphics aren’t great but it’s a 14 year old game and when you’re playing it really draws you in – I think Feral have been right to focus more on the gameplay side of the game as despite the usual challenges of an RTS on an iPad it plays really well, personally I really like using the command wheel as I think adds an additional tactile element and over time you get used to swiping to get the result you want.

Its well worth the price and a game I would say every gamer owning an iPad should buy

12. stelph

stelph Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 16, 2016
    Cost is a little unfair (especially comparing to steam) as they've had to put a lot of effort into porting, that's not cheap.

Multiplayer is a fair comment, I would assume like GRID it will eventually come over time

13. Bloodangel

Bloodangel Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Retail
    England
    Cool so it’s coming to iPhone?

14. Yes ...cos they had to rework it for iPhone, they postponed the iPad release for sometime

15. quangvietnguyen

quangvietnguyen Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2013
    How do you know that :) I contacted them a week ago, they said they will take it in consideration, but it does not necessary mean that they have worked on it

16. I think i read a twitter retweet or something. Hey i could be wrong

17. skoptic

skoptic Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2015
    #37 skoptic, Mar 6, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2020
    Past performance of other Feral ports suggests iPhone port some (not insignificant) time after tablet release. Quality ports when completed, but took some time.

18. speedcat_feral

speedcat_feral Active Member

May 9, 2018
    We've now announced that the game is coming to iPhone as well as Android later this year. Owners of the iPad version will be able to install the iPhone version at no extra cost.

Stay tuned to our news and social media feeds for further release information as and when we have it!

PraetorianX, ioso, Makara Nou and 2 others like this.
  19. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    Wasn’t the iPhone version supposed to be out today? Not seeing it yet.

Luci0 likes this.
  20. Brightsiderus

Brightsiderus Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2017
    Tomorrow.