iPhone Companions - Dungeon-Crawler/RPG by smuttlewerk interactive

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by smuttlegiaco, May 26, 2011.

1. Jensen

Jensen Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2009
    Quick question: how do I use the net attack that the Minotaur has? Dragging from net to enemy drops the net and tapping it in my quick inventory slot seems to have no effect. I'm sure I'm missing something simple here, thanks for the help :)

2. Osmiral

Osmiral Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009
    Great game, but I have one question, is the last part of the tutorial actually possible to beat? (I thought I was doing pretty good, but there seemed to be no end to the enemies).

3. smuttlegiaco

smuttlegiaco Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Game Designer
    Germany
    @jensen: just drag the net in one of the copper slots. then you'll see a new skill, right next to the class skills.

@osmiral: no, you can't beat it. just try to kill as many as possible and get the best highscore. :)

4. Jensen

Jensen Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2009
    #164 Jensen, Aug 16, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
    When I click on an existing tower with the dwarf, I see icons of a hammer and pyramid. I assume hammer is repair but what does the pyramid (made of little balls) mean? And is there a legend somewhere thatbexplains all of this?

Edit: answered my own question, it's for amo, though still wondering if there is a universal legend/help?

5. smuttlegiaco

Aug 19, 2010
    Game Designer
    Germany
    hey jensen!

we talked about doing a legend some time ago, but it would cost us time we don't have. perhaps in the future, when our other projects are finally done...in the meantime, contact me, whenever there are problems!

6. Andrew Smith

Andrew Smith New Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Mobile Application Development
    All features are great of this game and I think after read this post I am very excited for this game. Thanks for sharing.

7. Jensen

Jensen Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2009
    After playing a couple hours through the campaign, I have to say that I have been really pleasantly surprised by the quality and polish of this game! I love how there is flavor text on all of the items, and how the game will narrate (popup text boxes) as the party comes across different parts of the dungeon, it definitely spices things up, especially since this the graphics/engine are tile-based (usually a recipe for a blander game, but not here!).

The strategy is nice and deep too, sometimes I get a bit frustrated when I face a character in the wrong direction and then fail to see the enemy 5 feet away but in the wrong direction, but the finesse makes it so that each battle is satisfying to win.

Only small niggles: the interface could be a bit cleaner, especially since non-active buttons don't fade out (when inventory is open, it looks like I can still hit buttons on the left side of the screen) and some buttons can be a bit small and hard to press (inventory button!). And with no manual, the player is occasionally left to figure parts of the interface out on their own, but once the player gets over the initial hump, it really is smooth sailing.

Highly recommended, and a breath of fresh air after playing too many ultra-shallow "RPGs" on the iPad that are nothing more than hack-n-slash clickfests. This is much more, and well worth the cash.

8. smuttlegiaco

Aug 19, 2010
    Game Designer
    Germany
    hi. sry for the late answer. we were in cologne at the gamescom.

jensen, thx for your thoughts.

that's a good idea. I put it on the ToDo list, so with the next update it will be integrated. :)

9. smuttlegiaco

Aug 19, 2010
    Game Designer
    Germany
    just a little update. we are currently working on the following things:

- auto aim for ranged characters (optional) - integrated
    - what jensen suggested above is also already integrated
    - shop system (you can scrap items to get gold, with which you'll be able to buy stuff from shopkeepers appearing on all/some maps) - will take some more time

- the endless random dungeon crawler (will take some more time, at least 1-2 month)

the next update will be released once the shop system is implemented

:)

10. mekanikal fiend

mekanikal fiend Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2010
    I'm excited about the endless dungeon crawler! You guys do great work!!!

11. wilflare

wilflare Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2011
    Singapore
    any info on when's the sale ending? ^^

12. smuttlegiaco

Aug 19, 2010
    Game Designer
    Germany
    :) well, Monday the 29th

13. smuttlegiaco

Aug 19, 2010
    Game Designer
    Germany
    friends!

as we mentioned a few weeks earlier we are still working on the update. we will integrate a host of new items, the shopkeepers already mentioned and inApp purchases in form of Ur-Steel.

Ur-Steel can be used to buy quite a few new and ultra-rare items. these items will drop from time to time when you fight bosses, but the droprate will be rather low.

you can still scrap the "normal" items and receive gold/silver to buy normal stuff (basically all items that drop in the game, even unique items).

we also work on the random endless crawler. you'll be able to level up your heroes to Lvl 50 max. I can assure you: this will basically be a full game itself. (for a moderate price ;))

14. Ubisububi

Ubisububi Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2009
    California
    I am excited to hear this, especially the random dungeon crawler portion. While I am not a fan of consumable IAP, using them to permanently acquire items and unlock content is completely reasonable.

Can't wait..

15. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    Awesome, I look forward to another day one purchase or should I say day one IAP. Great job especially with the updates.

16. smuttlegiaco

Aug 19, 2010
    Game Designer
    Germany
    ok, so we gave all this stuff another thought. if we integrate it like we planned, you'd buy an item for one savegame only. kind of sucks.

we came up with a new idea this morning: you buy Ur-Steel as a global resource for real money. while playing on a profile you can convert a portion or all of your Ur-Steel into gold. gold is then used to buy items. this gold is "local" only, so when you delete the profile, the gold is lost.

the Ur-Steel on the other hand is available for all your future games (or profiles - even for the upcoming random crawler). you can also convert uniques/rare items to gold and sometimes you may even gain Ur-Steel (albeit with a very slim chance).

so, what do you guys think?

17. greengiant987

greengiant987 New Member

Jul 3, 2011
    Hey I have a question. I just got to the point where you have to defend two golems while they build you a bridge. How far into the campaign am I ?

Also I keep running into a problem where I tell my guys to attack someone, their icon appears next to the enemy but they just stand still. I end up having to move them next to the enemy before they do anything.

18. smuttlegiaco

Aug 19, 2010
    Game Designer
    Germany
    @greengiant987: you are on map 5 about halfway through. map 6 is the last map. after you finished of Raartaark on map 6 the campaign ends. but don't delete the game then: we will release a free campaign addon, hopefully before the end of this year. you may then continue to play with your party or start a new game.

as to your problem: when the icon appears next to an enemy, just tap a second time on him/her/it. your guys will then move/turn toward the target and attack.

19. Movementcat

Movementcat Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2010
    Hey Smuttle,

can i gain still all Items with normal Playing? im glad to pay for new content but i dont Like if there some Items i cant reach without normal Playing.

Regards Movementat

20. Ubisububi

Ubisububi Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2009
    California
    For me the litmus test is whether or not items purchased with Ur-Steel are permanently unlocked or not. If not, that wanders into the category of "consumable;" a place where I never tread. Ideally, any items purchased with Ur-Steel would be available for future games as well; much the way unlocked content is. A good example of this is Popcap's recent addition of a "coin store." These coins can be used to unlock powerful plants and Zen Garden items, all of which remain unlocked for future play.

IAPs are a great way for developers to monetize their hard work. For me, however, there is a bright line between what I will purchase (content, permanently unlocked resources, etc.) and consumables. The latter leaves me with the feeling that I no longer own the game, but am merely renting it.