iPhone Companions - Dungeon-Crawler/RPG by smuttlewerk interactive

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by smuttlegiaco, May 26, 2011.

1. Savant

Savant Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Give us a heads up once its available as I'm holding off on the purchase until the new version comes up - thanks!

2. smuttlegiaco

smuttlegiaco Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Game Designer
    Germany
    thx fiend! we like it much more than the old one! :)

the update is still "waiting for review" :( . we uploaded on tuesday evening CET. I'll keep you guys informed.

3. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Whoooo

It's out!!!! Gj guys :) I'm happy for you smut!

4. the9quad

the9quad Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2011
    yes! I can finally start this game I have been patiently waiting.

5. Savant

Savant Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Nice! Will download later once I get home! Thanks and good job!

6. ade

ade New Member

Aug 2, 2011
    Thanks...very interesting!

7. smuttlegiaco

Aug 19, 2010
    Game Designer
    Germany
    #147 smuttlegiaco, Aug 2, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
    seems that I slept too long! you guys saw it before I did :) finally it's out. enjoy!

please note: a lite version is now also available. feel free to check it out!

Edit: I forgot to mention: we invested some money and had a native speaker correct the english text. there should be far less spelling errors and stuff like that right now!

8. pka4916

pka4916 Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    Playing this on easy, but just started with the 3rd character in the beginning, but keep on dying almost right in the beginning.. the character doesn't have any weapons or whatever.. starting it for the 11th time, but never had this with an RPG before.. am i missing something here?

9. smuttlegiaco

Aug 19, 2010
    Game Designer
    Germany
    you mean you're playing with the dwarf? on map 1?

if yes, then all you have to do is to build a few towers/traps (actually as many as you'd can in the given time). with, say, three towers it should be all you need on easy. feel free to contact me anytime (we added support addresses in the options menu)

10. pka4916

pka4916 Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    I'm at work right now, but I managed that one,
    it's the one after that.

11. doomedge

doomedge Member

Jul 31, 2011
    will there be an itouch version?

12. smuttlegiaco

Aug 19, 2010
    Game Designer
    Germany
    @pka4916: ok, then it's the mage. it's all about right skill usage. always look at the cooldown of the skills and read what they do.

if you have, say, the "void mage", then try to freeze as many enemies as possible with one blast and use the higher shoot frequency of the "void mage" to deal damage while the enemies are frozen. when there are too many enemies, cast the vortex to a field where many of the enemies will possibly enter.

for other mage types other strategies are necessary, depending on the skills.

@doomedge: we are working on a game based upon Companions for iPhone/iPod. It'll be a random dungeon crawler. because of the tiny screen we're unsure if you'll be able to play all four characters at once.

13. Savant

Savant Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2010
    I must say - I was pleasantly, pleasantly surprised and impressed with the game once I started it up.
    * First, I was expecting just a simple dungeon crawler with little to no story at all, and less RPG-centric text (similar to Pocket RPG). Boy, was I surprised and glad that it actually has not only an over-arching good story but also good character interactions / dialogues and even good descriptions of scenarios, areas, and other minor aspects in-game! (Kind-of similar to the Avadon RPG of Spiderweb but not as wordy, but still very nicely written)
    * Second, I didn't expect the various equipment to get reflected in the characters although that is indeed a bonus. I was surprised that despite the top-view of this game the various weapons and armor were reflected! Since I just started, hope the various higher-level rare loot look better and more flashy compared to their starting counterparts!

All in all, a very good starting impression for this game. This is what I'm playing now - I dropped Avadon, I dropped Pocket RPG. :)

On a side note, I just wanted to ask - can't I control the summons I cast (Golem, Dragonling)? Even a "Call Summon" button would do. There are times when they just wander further from my character while he / she is getting swamped by enemies.

14. Movementcat

Movementcat Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2010
    Yea Smuttle is best German I-OS programmer i know ^^

The new speed is nice, okay it can be a little faster(for me) but okay i can good live with this.

And im REALLY looking forward to random generation thats an INSTANT Buy, hopefully TA will show this on Mainpage that smuttle get more Customers.

Lg Move

15. smuttlegiaco

Aug 19, 2010
    Game Designer
    Germany
    #155 smuttlegiaco, Aug 4, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
    thx for the praise guys. it feels good! :)

@Savant: you can always "release" a summoned creature by pressing the X-button on the skill. if your cooldown is refreshed you can instantly call a new creature to your side. (note: on a higher level the matter mage may have up to two golems! each one must be summoned independently.)

we begun working on a graphic update a while back, but our graphics man is currently focusing on our second title "Time of Heroes". As soon as this project is ready, Companions will be pimped up.

if you have time on your hand and if you want to help a small developer outfit in its struggle to consolidate itself on the App Store, please help us spread the word! tell your friends about our game. write reviews on forums where you're active and stuff like that. all help is greatly appreciated and will be honored in more great games. :)

16. Amenbrother

Jun 24, 2011
    Wow

To be able to play this on aiphone and just 1 character at a time would be straight awesome in my book!! I would like that even better probably. Also Movementcat I to would like all classes to be even a little faster, but I still love this game :)

17. bem69

bem69 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Companions is a rare gem, and having a lite version is great exposure for the game :D Congrats smuttlegiaco :D

18. smuttlegiaco

Aug 19, 2010
    Game Designer
    Germany
    thx guys!

one year ago we started with the concept work for Companions. Celebrate with us! We lowered the price to 3.99$ -> get your copy now! :)

19. Amenbrother

Jun 24, 2011
    Oooooo

Toucharcade review is up and its good overall! One thing he touched on that I definately would love to see is a store where we can buy or sell stuff like potions, weapons, armor, and rings! ;)

20. smuttlegiaco

Aug 19, 2010
    Game Designer
    Germany
    i just read it...it's great! :) made our day here! thank you touchArcade!

you will get your store in the endless dunegeon mode we're working on. and perhaps even in the planned campaign expansion (The Dwarven Fortress). we are discussing several possibilities!

as to the review: he said that you can only move all or one of the companions. that's not right. you can configure two groups in the formation menu. when you want to choose either group just tap on the shield with the 1 or 2 in it (next to the player portrait or in the formations menu).

all in all I'm very happy right now.