Comments via app broken?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by houseofg, Nov 7, 2015.

1. vicsark

vicsark Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Same here, no comments anymore on the app.
    I guess I will have to try it on Chrome or Safari :/
    No more cunning comments in cumbersome English from me :D

But I'm so used to the TA app being in my daily routine that it will be a sad day when it's finally broken :(

2. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    No we haven't done anything, but we use a 3rd party for our comments system (Disqus) and it's possible they changed even something tiny on their end which is causing it to screw up on our end. Our dev is aware of it and if there's a way to fix it that doesn't require an update through Apple we'll do what we can.

3. houseofg

houseofg Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 1, 2013
    Amen. I tried the Safari route and it's so much clunkier.

4. squirpe

squirpe Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    Software Developer
    Honolulu, HI
    TA, not being able to see the comments in the app is a big deal, at least for me. Viewing by website isn't the same experience. I'm using the app less and less, and not visiting the website.

I've seen numerous comments before that you can't update the app because it won't meet Apple guidelines with all the features. Why not release a new app that has quick access to news and comments like many other media companies do, without the guideline breaking features?

5. Anonomation

Anonomation 👮 Spam Police 🚓

That's exactly the problem, making the app agree with the guidelines requires removal of everything that may alter someone's option on app or alter possible sales.

6. houseofg

houseofg Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 1, 2013
    Holy crap.

7. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

Because it costs tens of thousands of dollars to build an app and we honestly just don't have the budget for that right now. We're never going to get featured by Apple, so the downloads said app would get would be limited to the downloads we can push from our site. It's almost entirely impossible to monetize the low download numbers we'd see, so it'd be like spending $50-100k just for fun. Our bread and butter is still web traffic, so while it sucks to have any dropoff with the app, it's been slowly happening for years now. Part of me wishes an iOS update would just break it completely so we don't have to worry about it limping along anymore as there's a number of things we're actively not doing because it doesn't work with the way the app is set up.

8. Jakeopp

Jakeopp Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2012
    TA app is the main reason I visit the site several times daily, would be a shame to see it lose support.

9. Anonomation

Anonomation 👮 Spam Police 🚓

It's already lost most of what could be done, all there is is fixes and whatever, but those will only last for so long.

10. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    I am honestly surprised that no one at Apple has come to your aid.
    There is NO WAY that at least one significant apple big shot hasn't heard of you.
    TA is the next biggest mobile cultural power besides the App Store itself. Too bad the big guys like King and that game of war company can't throw you a million or two

11. amazingrace

amazingrace Active Member

Nov 10, 2015
    China
    i am not sure how long will i keep using TA since it lose support.

12. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    It should be FOREVER.
    This site/app is the greatest thing that has ever happened to mobile culture and gaming. We must do whatever we can to keep it going.
    Have you joined the Patreon?

13. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

Comments are back, the sky is no longer falling.

14. squirpe

Oct 15, 2008
    Software Developer
    Honolulu, HI
    Great news! ##
    What was the issue?

15. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    But what about the doom sayers sensei? Are they now reduced to soapbox hobos?

16. squirpe

Oct 15, 2008
    Software Developer
    Honolulu, HI
    This is a shame but understandable, thanks for explaining it from your perspective. I hope it thrives for as long as possible, though, in spite of iOS upgrades.

17. cofunguy

cofunguy Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2012
    Still getting error code 13. Have tried messaging the powers to be for why I am still blocked but not even a reply back as to why. Other folks have commented about getting error 13 and got at least a reply back.

So why no reply or even a PM as to why?

18. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    I have no idea what error 13 is, but Disqus is basically a black box. We have access to an admin panel that let's us do a few moderation actions, but not much else. I tried looking up your account (cofunguy?) and came up with nothing. Your best bet is to contact Disqus themselves and see if they can tell you anything: https://help.disqus.com

19. cofunguy

Sep 24, 2012
    #39 cofunguy, Nov 18, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
    Thanks will look into disqus. And see what they say.

But still think there is a restriction /blocked under TA permission as I will describe below.

On the web browser for TA, I get the message I am blocked. Message says :

× We are unable to post your comment because you have been blocked by TouchArcade. Find out more.

Can you look under the actual name of Thomas Vilfroy since that is the name displayed on browser (although the user name of cofunguy shows up under the app)? Thanks!!

20. cofunguy

Sep 24, 2012
    As no surprise, disqus says there is a restriction on TA's side. So can someone look into it?? It has been 4+ months now and still not heard back as to why or for what.

Thanks.,