Command and Conquer for iPhone/iPod Touch

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by randomdude, Mar 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChocoVanilla

ChocoVanilla Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Traveller
    SweetsTown, DessertVille, CandyLand
    Nope...only eliminate out in CAN right now...Nova isn't.

2. gospel9

gospel9 Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008
    #382 gospel9, Nov 1, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2009
    I was watching the demo video and the new screenshots on the new iphone C&C website, and I am surprised that no one's mentioned these things so far:

- from the screenshots, all the maps look Very Small. the bases look like they are almost built next to each other.

- No civilian buildings to garrison. (There's one screenshot with a few buildings, but not sure if you can garrison).

- there seems to have No Naval units at all! (one of the biggest parts for the series no?) There's hardly any sea in any of the screenshots on the website (including all of the new ones)

- There seems to be only 3 infanty and 3 tanks and 2 aircrafts for both sides.. and a "hero" Tanya / Natasha. So the whole game only has only 8-9 units per side?

- None of the units have special abilities other than the basic attack. Even Tanya and Natasha have no special abilities. No time belt no vehicle sniping. No calling airstrikes.

- The refineries don't have a collector, it's just a stand alone building.

- The buildings are recycled from Red Alert 2. Barracks, Power, Refinery, Contrusction Yard, Tank Factory, Airfield, and a Tech building. Each side also seems to have two defensive structure.

- From the video, it looks like units have No Voice responses except for special Commandos (Tanya and Natasha).

- The zoom looks like was only made for eye candy. It dosen't look like it's useful at all. It zooms into this narrowed angle that makes everything very difficult to see anything.

- Each side have a "super weapon" that takes over a spot of your screen near the top.

- No cutscenes. This is totally not EA's flagship game. Need For Speed yes. Red Alert no.

This looks like a incredibly stripped down version of the game. Not the "full core experience" claimed by EA. Which is by all means expected though.

3. Hmar9333

Hmar9333 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    I'd hold your tongue until you actually play the game.

4. gospel9

Oct 5, 2008
    Right. I am still surprised that no one's mentioned these things yet. At least from looking at all the stuff we have now.

5. STP_Tim

STP_Tim Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2009
    I'v beaten it and he is pretty spot on at the moment, unfortunately.

6. kugi_igi

kugi_igi Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Punturin
    ok,i'll hold his mouth open for you :D

7. Hmar9333

Hmar9333 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    Oh, well that's a bit disappointing then...

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2009
    And rockband is too easy right Tim? Are you even allowed by ea to say all this negative thing about a game they allowed you to preview? Are you not on NDA or something or do you treat every dev that so kindly give you a review code this way? I don't know why you seem to hate this game much that you want to quench all excitement for this game! Do you enjoy people telling you 'thanks tim, I'll pass this game' well Thanks tim I won't be getting this game!!! Happy now and I hope ea reads this and never gives you a preview build again ;)

9. STP_Tim

STP_Tim Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2009
    I'm entitled to my opinions.

10. gospel9

Oct 5, 2008
    #390 gospel9, Nov 1, 2009
    To be fair, the stuff that I pointed out is obvious from the screenshots and videos. Actually, I am very glad that we have someone who has tried the demo can acknowledge these things.

EA did have a full playable game that they were demoing sometime ago so really, anyone could have played the game if they were there (and know what the game has).

It's to our best interest to look forward to a rock solid game... but it seems that EA isn't delivering it (at least it was to me). Maybe one reason for the delay would have been for them to add more content first. And I am hopeful that that's the case.

11. Blueseas25

Blueseas25 Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Good eye, gospel.

No collector for the refineries..that would be blasphemous!

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2009
    And your opinions are based on a preview build, a work in progress.

13. jeremyBABY

jeremyBABY Active Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Sydney, Australia
    im pretty sure that theres more units than 8 units..
    from touch arcades hands on preview..
    and from what i could see..
    the infantry section from soviets had natasha, conscripts, warbears, flak troopers and engineers
    there was another video of this game too showing the allied side.. i couldnt see much
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gacMLYHp2I - know your mobile
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yB6Tz7kfZy8 - touch arcade

14. AgentOrange

AgentOrange Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009
    I can't believe this is an Iphone game, my jaw is still open!

15. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    It wont really be fair if the reviewer doesnt give his honest opinion about the game.

16. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2009
    Exactly! And to think that Tim did play the game and would have been easy reply to gospel's post that there are indeed more units in the game instead of just saying that he is almost spot on, he focuses on the negatives more than the positive and I can hardly call that impartial! His post as well as his post in the Rockband thread shows he is not an honest or fair reviewer or maybe he's just not that competent!

17. gospel9

Oct 5, 2008
    #397 gospel9, Nov 1, 2009
    Thank for those videos. The first video really proved me wrong about the interface. It seems to work really well and not cluttered.

As for the units.. well, I said there were around 8-9 per side, plus a hero. Maybe I missed counted the engineer. If you don't count Natasha as an infantry, you have the Bear, Conscript, and Flak Trooper. That's 3. Engineer would be a 4th. Which is still pretty good. But still lacking. Don't get me wrong though, I am still going to try the game out as soon as I could. Let's just hope that there's more.

18. SarcasticGamer

SarcasticGamer Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2009
    NYC
    Lay of STP Tim! He doesn't give a hoot! Only unfair revs ;)

19. Drfishy

Drfishy Active Member

Sep 9, 2009
    #399 Drfishy, Nov 1, 2009
    Wow that almost completely killed all my excitement for the game.

From the gameplay videos the maps seem like they are a decent size considering this is for an iphone/ipod. I dont think we can expect them to be massive but the bases are certainly not " built next to each other".

That will suck. Cutscenes are a big part of the Command and conquer game.

20. AgentOrange

AgentOrange Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009
    I love those cut scenes it's over the top and funny :D Nevertheless I'm getting this!