iPad Coming soon: Interceptor

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by pivotal, Sep 19, 2008.

1. pivotal

pivotal Member

Sep 16, 2008
    #1 pivotal, Sep 19, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2008
    UPDATE: Interceptor is now available in the App Store! I'd love any feedback, bug reports, or suggestions. Thanks!
    http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=291167440&mt=8

Hi all. I'd be interested in feedback on the game I've recently completed and submitted to the app store.

The video is a bit grainy, and the game looks A LOT harder than it is in reality, because I was trying to play and film at the same time (and was already up to level 5) :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZV_LJomy_Q

More details here: http://www.ben.geek.nz/interceptor/

2. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member

Apr 19, 2008
    Looks nice. I always thought touch missile command was a good idea. :)

Does it detect multiple points of contact?

arn

3. pivotal

pivotal Member

Sep 16, 2008
    Shhhh! It's not missile command ;) (after all the recent takedowns)

I haven't done multitouch. It could easily support it but I didn't really see the point. You can place 'interceptors' as fast as you can tap anyway, which is damn fast.

4. dudehuge

dudehuge Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2008
    #4 dudehuge, Sep 19, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2008
    You should've named it "Missile Interceptor" HAHA.

5. networkman

networkman Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2008
    toronto, canada
    Nice work. Like the different backgrounds on play through. What will be your appStore price?

btw Been waiting for a "missle control" game.
    Best of luck.

6. pivotal

pivotal Member

Sep 16, 2008
    I'm thinking I'll kick it off at $2.99 and see how it goes.

7. BulletDev

BulletDev Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    produce applications under "Bullet Development"
    Vancouver, BC
    The game looks awesome but I don't think i will be buying it for $2.99. You might want to price it at $1.99 considering all of the price drops happening on the store.

Just my opinion though - keep up the great work!!!

8. pivotal

pivotal Member

Sep 16, 2008
    Yeah it's a hard one eh? Prices are INCREDIBLY compressed on the app store. Something that I might pay $40 for on a console is $10 on iPhone, and there is utter, utter crap that people are asking $1.99 for.

Luckily it's fairly easy to adjust pricing, so I'll see how it plays out.

9. different

different Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    I think it'd be a cool idea to have it on a sale for the first couple of days, and then charge regular price... many publishers have done that and have had a lot of good feedback from it. :)

10. raps27

raps27 Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2008
    or free for the first 12 hours or somethin

11. Little White Bear Studios

Little White Bear Studios Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2008
    #11 Little White Bear Studios, Sep 21, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2008
    No, for the good of the paid app community, and your own app's reviews, do NOT do this. What will happen is this:

1. You put it up for free, and you'll get a huge download count.
    2. You switch to paid, and the Apple "free to paid" bug goes into play. Your free download count incorrectly counts as your paid count, and you jump into the top 25 list for paid apps.

Doesn't sound bad, right? Top rankings for zero effort! Guess who's not going to be happy with you? All the developers in the top 50, who just lost rank, and money, because you cheated the system. Guess who else isn't going to be happy? All the people who tried to get your app for free, but couldn't, because it takes awhile for Apple to update the system. They will get a "app is being modified" message, until the price changes. Then they will be very angry at you, because they think you are responsible for them not being able to get it for free. Your reviews will fill with a bunch of 1 star reviews over this. Sure, you may make a ton of money in one day, but the rest of the days are gonna be pretty bad.

So my suggestion, if you're planning on an opening sale, start with at least $0.99, so your ranking is gained honestly. People will respect a sale.

12. Manta Research

Manta Research Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    Great job on the app Pivotal! It's funny because I was looking at the xbox360 version a couple of months ago and thinking "Hmm, an updated version like this would be perfect for the iphone" and was on my list of upcoming projects. Guess I'll have to cross that one off the list :)

Given the work/polish that is evident from the video, I would suggest a fair price is $2.99 or maybe even $3.99. Anything less and you're underselling the app. Anyhow, it's easy enough to adjust pricing and look at the sales figures. Just be careful not to make too many adjustments in too short a period or you'll end up annoying the people buying your app! :)

I totally agree with Little White Bear above. Certain unscrupulous devs have been gaming the system since day 1 using different methods, and it may have good short term benefits, but it doesn't pay off in the long run. It also means that if everyone started doing this, then nobody would see any benefit. It's easy enough for anyone to cheat, but hopefully consumers will reward the ethical companies with their wallets and not condone this type of activity.

I'm also getting annoyed at the devs who have a long list of bugfixes lined up, and release one bugfix at a time, or even worse minor aesthetic changes like spelling/grammar and bog down the submission process. Yeah, it bumps up your visibility, but at the end of the day it hurts all developers because everything takes longer to get out. It's become so much of a problem that Apple has actually put out a guideline regarding this now.

Anyhow, sorry for the tangential rant, but I would like to say that the game looks well polished and I look forward to purchasing it when it's released! Good job!

13. networkman

Sep 14, 2008
    toronto, canada
    Dear Bear and Manta.

You are blaming the system. If the system is broken and is being abused. Fix the system not the developer. That is fair.
    Bill.

14. Manta Research

Manta Research Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    Yes, absolutely agree. The problem is that some developers are taking advantage of these holes for personal gain. The bottom line is that it's not rocket science, and what they don't realize is that if everyone was cheating in the same manner, there'd be zero benefit to anyone.

The proper solution of course is for Apple to address this. In the meantime, it just sucks that some developers think they're smarter than others and can bypass the line.

15. networkman

Sep 14, 2008
    toronto, canada
    Manta,

Agreed. But, have you contacted Apple yet to info them of this error? Surely, developers have better communication portals than the consumer.

I do understand your position. Get the message to Apple, the Mothership.

Keep your apps coming...

Best of luck. :)

16. Little White Bear Studios

Aug 27, 2008
    Yes, by all means, fix the system. But I can't bring myself to feel bad for developers who take advantage of the loophole, and then get bad reviews because of it. Most of them knew exactly what they were doing.

17. Little White Bear Studios

Aug 27, 2008
    I contact Apple about every instance of this I see. And no, we really don't have any better communication channel than you do. Developers are generally ignored throughout the whole process. Most of the time, it takes days, or even weeks, to get a response from anyone at Apple. And even then, it's usually very short, generic, and not very helpful. So no, other than the fact that we can upload apps, and receive money, we are no different than the average consumer to Apple.

18. tkphotograph

tkphotograph Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Hey arn. We have the jirbo developer on the forums now.