iPad Comet Dodge $0.99 (based on a Japanese classic)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ivzhao, Jul 12, 2009.

1. #1 ivzhao, Jul 12, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2009
    Hi guys,

I made a small action game based on the original Japanese classic, and it's finally been approved by the app store. However, now I am thinking it might be slightly too difficult for newcomers (my initial philosophy was to keep the game simple, yet challenging.)

So could you guys review it and give me some feedback? (I am worrying that I am too familiar with the game so it's not fair to make an objective judgment :mad::mad:)

lite/free version:
    http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=318808616&mt=8

full version:
    http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=317967181&mt=8

website with youtube video:
    http://ivzhao.com/cometdodge

Also, here are some promo codes (please let others know the one you take):
    NY3AP3XA4KTT
    7JJKHRFFRKWH
    H4P3E73XK7X3
    366ANM3AXNLA
    NAJX6EMERW96

Thanks guys! :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. GaiaIllusion

GaiaIllusion Well-Known Member

May 6, 2009
    Student
    加拿大
    Ah, I remember this game. It's the one where you move around while just dodging all the flames.
    Many variations of this around online.

3. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Thanks.

Got 366ANM3AXNLA.

4. weisome

weisome Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Behind You!
    Got H4P3E73XK7X3. Thank you very much!

5. Negamaki

Negamaki Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2009
    I snagged the first code. Thanks a bunch!

6. costanza

costanza Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Oh wow, NAJX6EMERW96 wasn't taken. I'll try it out and let you know my thoughts :)

7. brttrx

brttrx Well-Known Member

Jun 1, 2009
    Grabbed 7JJKHRFFRKWH. Thanks!

8. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    I'm figuring this is going to be a hard game. The screen posted showed he only lasted 3.5 seconds... I'll be curious to see what folks think.

9. weisome

weisome Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Behind You!
    The game is pretty hard. I lasted up to around 9 seconds. Okay game to play once in awhile.

10. Devilishly Good

Devilishly Good Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    Can you dodge like a maniac

Your goal: Don't let your ship get hit by the zillions of stars on the screen which ebb and flow, but luckily don't directly chase you. You control your ship's movement with the accelerometer and must keep your phone horizontal...any other tilting results in ship movement.

Pros:
    -accelerometer controls are very smooth, I don't usually like accelerometer controls because I don't feel I have any fine control, but this was very responsive
    -funny insults when you die

Cons:
    -NO SOUND :( - the game really needs some sort of sound, simple background music and an explosion noise when your ship gets killed
    -display my best time when I start the game up, right now you actually have to play a game and get killed for that to show
    -you have to play with your device held horizontal to the ground, I find this VERY uncomfortable to have to play hunched over like that

Recommendations:
    -have stages - fewer stars to dodge for the first stage, like 1/3 of the current, then 1/2 of the current, then jump to 3/4 or all of the dots you have currently so you have Easy, Medium, and Hard levels or you could do 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, 100% to have Easy, Medium, Hard, and Expert.
    -global leaderboards - you need to have this to make it something people will want to replay, I don't know if beating your personal best is enough of a draw
    -accelerometer calibration so you can manually set the device's angle for horizontal so players can play sitting up or even laying down if they prefer
    -take out the word "Dodge" on your icon and make the ship bigger against the background...the word isn't necessary on the picture since the game's name is already underneath

My personal best so far was 9.6 seconds...but I don't know if that was good or bad.

The one insult I didn't understand was "Fungus". Is that supposed to be insulting? All of the others were amusing, but this one I just didn't get...

Right now 3/5 for me. The game play mechanics work really well, but there are a lot of basic things that would really add polish to the game...#1 is sound.

11. Devilishly Good

Thank you so much for your kind and detailed comments. Yes, I totally agree that I need some sound in the game;
    However, in terms of the game levels, adujstments etc, I think keeping the game simply and minimal is almost better. (Maybe it could give it an timeless feeling?)

Thanks again : )

12. Devilishly Good

Devilishly Good Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    I hope you found some of the comments helpful. I agree having no levels keeps things simple...what if the number of stars increased gradually without there being any obvious levels...that would be a kind of sneaky way to make the game harder as you played...:p

Thank you for the opportunity to play your game and offer you comments.