Universal Combo Queen (by Tap My Game)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Jan 26, 2015.

1. tmgalex

tmgalex Member

Oct 12, 2014
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yes, we initially thought it would be a great new way to play a game but it ended up not appealing to everyone. We had to scrap the system. Thank you for supporting us now though! lol

That sounds very odd. Can you possibly explain a little more what happened? Unfortunately that's not enough information to diagnose anything.

What device do you have? Also do you have a bunch of apps open? I know this sounds silly but the average user has many many apps open in the background which usually slows down the phone. It's possible your device might be slowing down. Either way, we're going to be making an update soon to help with timing but keep its difficulty.

2. tmgalex

tmgalex Member

Oct 12, 2014
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thank you so much for your feedback. I like to hear what my users have to say about the game, regardless it being positive or negative. We do have a lot of improvements that are going to be coming in the next update for the game. It is the first release of the game so bare with us please. :) Already working on the next update to balance out everything but keep it's hardcore difficulty aspect. All this data everyone is providing is really awesome and I just wanted to say thank you all!! :D

Yep, no forced consumerism in this game! Just wanted to make a cool game! Thank you for your kind words and feedback.

We're going to be fixing the issue that a lot of people are having with enemies getting tougher at a faster rate than the user getting better at the game. It will be user controlled as well. ;) Pretty sure people are going to like it. Well, we hope, haha!

I don't take offense to any feedback for the game. I'm all ears!

3. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    Really glad you found a better solution and seeing you so dedicated in this thread makes it an easy "smash the button".

4. Wizard_Mike

Wizard_Mike Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Texas
    Ok, I was really looking forward to this one, but I found it too unforgiving to be very enjoyable.

BUT!!!

I didn't want to give up. I knew that the game would be great if I could only just get the hang of it. So I kept trying.

At first, I thought there was a glitch because the fourth hit never made any sound. Then I noticed the fourth hit never counted as a hit. That's when I realized the fourth tap in a combo wasn't a hit at all, but a pause.

Then BAM! It all clicked. She does a three hit combo, a "reset" beat, and then starts the three hit combo again. I had no idea it was a loop! Once I knew this, all I had to do was get the rhythm of it all stuck in my muscle memory.

Now I'm killing stuff like a boss! Lol. Well, ok, maybe I'm not THAT good yet, but I'm killing stuff! lol. I'll only get better from here out. Also, now that I have the hang of the combo timing/rhythm, I don't have to focus so much on the little hit box and can be more aware of what else is happening on the screen.

My main point is simply to say that the game may seem too hard at first, but once you get the hang of it, it's pretty freaking rad! :D

5. Zunda

Zunda Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2014
    I agree. I've reached level 15, and it requires around 50 or more hit only to kill the very first enemy. The strict timing limitation itself is pretty fun! I don't think it should be fixed anymore, but I think the only problem is that enemies are too durable.

6. chief78

chief78 Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2012
    tmgalex, thank you for being open on the forums and open to improving what must be a labor of love. I'm downloading now. The difficulty thing was throwing me off but I also saw a few opinions on here that kinda swung it for me. No matter what, some of the hardcore in the forums here are represented and, then seeing u here really addressing and looking to make it all better......that's just what we TA'ers love to see. I'll follow their lead. Kudos, and whatever cool stuff to come, thank you! I wish this game great success and exposure ##

7. crazylegs19

crazylegs19 New Member

Jan 28, 2015
    This all sounds very promising! Thank you very much for being so open minded and willing to receive criticism.

I very much look forward to the update, and despite my previous post outlining the frustration I am feeling at the moment, I don't regret dropping the money on the game. Please keep us updated and if we can help be a sounding board for ideas, hit us up!

8. wyzau

wyzau Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2012
    i'm loving this game so far (i'm at level 5), but i agree with everyone here that the enemies get too strong too fast. this makes earning money nearly impossible. i managed to buy the first upgraded weapon, but i can't see me getting enough money for the next upgrade soon.

as the enemies take more and more hits until they die, what if they actually lose money on hits and a bonus when they are dead? this way you would always get some money and you will still have a feeling of progression, even if you died on the first enemy :)

9. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Rlly having fun on this one, but devs; please ease up on the difficulty. It has ramped up immensely and quickly making earning nearly impossible, as others have stated.

10. PixyJunket

PixyJunket Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, that's all the information to be had. Regardless of my timing, nothing registered.

After forcing the tutorial again through the options menu, however, the hits immediately registered on the next time I started.

I have been playing fine since.

11. Duranki

Duranki Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2011
    Can anyone confirm that the items are one-time use? I would assume so, but gems are too scarce to test :)

12. chief78

Jul 24, 2012
    #72 chief78, Jan 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
    In finding the timing although tricky, is not impossible. I know it's me tapping too soon or late. But that's the challenge in this game. Others have mentioned what seem to be tap input issues maybe? I'm on 5S with the most recent iOS if that helps any.

My only Q is I notice every time I get a 3 hit combo and then hit on the 4th, there's no sound and I notice that the counter stays at 3. The next hit registers as 4 with a sound, but it should be the 5th hit.....unless the enemy always blocks the 3rd hit?

EDIT: Ok yeah, it's every 4th hit in the combo is not registering. So a 4-hit should be 5 and a 6-hit should be 8. There's no animation for a block from the enemy. This seems to be a glitch?

13. Duranki

Duranki Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2011
    I believe hit #4 resets the combo, which starts over with hit #5.

14. Wizard_Mike

Wizard_Mike Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Texas
    Yes, that was tripping me up, too, until I figured out what was going on. From my previous post:

Also, there's a book that upgrades her combo from three hits to six. I'm waiting a bit before I get that one. Still trying to master the three hit combo, lol.

15. Zerol3onheart

Zerol3onheart Active Member

Dec 7, 2012
    Here's something I found out that might be helpful on later levels.

When you're attacking an enemy and you hear a "gleam" sound (think the sound on cheesy shows where someone shows their teeth and it makes that "ting!" sound), it's a feint (fake) attack from the enemy. The real attack is coming once after the feint attack so you have to watch out for it. I hope I explained it right!

16. chief78

Jul 24, 2012
    Yeah saving for that and the axes....need every advantage possible Lol Thx for the explanation. I remember reading that, but not having played yet threw me off. This game has some serious depth!

Anyone else notice the cat who pops out from the corner and behind walls every now and then Lol Little touches like this....

17. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    I want to retract my earlier complaint about the leveling/difficulty aspect. The first few levels enemies did seem to outpace the queen but now she's clearly gaining damage potential.

18. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    I dig this a lot, but it has some difficulty issues. It feels like it's ramping up according to how many runs I've done rather than how much actual progress I've made, be it distance or XP levels

I feel like if the game was just slightly slightly sliiiightly more forgiving with its timings then it would make it 10 times more enjoyable.

Just my opinion and my observation, I don't mean to askew your vision, devs

19. Wow this game looks great, I really wanna try it out. I usually like games to be a little on the more difficult side rather than too easy, I get bored if I am just clicking my way through a game.

20. TheIllusiveBean

TheIllusiveBean New Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Game Impressions

The game is way too hard, and it does not reward you for making your character stronger.

Arcade game - easy level 1, hard level 10, get better to beat level 1 and brag to your friends about getting to level 6.

RPG game - easy level 1, impossible level 10, level character up to make it easier to get to level 10.

This game - impossible level 1, impossible level 10, get better and level character up to make level 1 more difficult.

The game ignores reward given by both RPGs and Arcade games, the two genres this game was built upon. It's unsatisfying. No matter how good you are, the game will always balance out to make enemy #1 impossible for you, and being constantly stuck on one enemy is not fun, at least for me.