Universal Combo Crew - (by The Game Bakers)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, May 22, 2013.

1. drloony

drloony Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2012
    The concept of this game sounded crappy to me, with the swipe controls, and the "unknown" characters. I was wondering why all the hype? But there are so few good "beat-em-ups" on iOS so I gave it a try.
    Turns out this game is hella fun to play, really surprised me how much fun I'm having with it. I'm not very far in the game but I'd recommend it to anybody not sure about it like I was, (in case this hot thread didn't convince you). Great game

2. l3aper

l3aper Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Hey guys-

I absolutely totally love this game, as I was pretty into Squids and looking for a good beat 'em up on iOS, and I really recommend it.

BUT I was playing as Parker, Lab level 2, about to finish when the game totally crashed and I lost every bit of progress I made. And, before that, playing as Dolph in Combo Crew mode, I couldn't complete any of his challenges, even when the game acknowledged that I had a perfect combo bonus on round 1, scored 2 million, etc.

Would I get this game? Totally. Go get it. Would I be expecting bugs? Yeah, dude. It came out yesterday. Can I (and you) trust the devs to fix it and add awesome new content? I think so. :)

3. ednan

ednan Well-Known Member

How do the two thumbs control work? I really don't get it. The other control scheme is tiresome after a while.

4. Echoen

Echoen Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    USA
    #84 Echoen, May 24, 2013
    Last edited: May 24, 2013
    The main difference is the 2 finger side swipes are now pinches

5. Emeric

Emeric Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2010
    I also play like holding a Nintendo DS and with 2 thumbs. It's really a matter of style, but I feel it's way better for gamers to hold it like a portable console and play with thumbs.

@Mrwubbs: you don't get bonus points for finishing in slow, but I'll remember the idea. The slow mo triggers when you finish an enemy with a combo, not with a normal attack. But I'll detail the scoring system soon here. Gotta focus on bugs for now.

@l3aper: So sorry about your progress loss. We'll be focusing on those problems 100% until it's fixed, and we'll probably do something for you to recover your progress somehow. Can you tell me your contact id (you can pm me your email) so that I check the database if your scores are still there? It's probably more a save bug than a database crash. I promise we'll fix that in the next update.

Looking forward to challenging you all for the hi-scores!

6. l3aper

l3aper Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Speaking of.... Which characters and/or combos do you think are the better ones in the game so far? I personally prefer Parker over Gina as a starting character for his really quick combos, but what do you guys think?

7. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

Questions before buying:
    - Will new characters be added in updates or as IAP?
    - Any possibility of weapons for your characters?
    - How do counters work? Is it just a block-then-counterattack move or is it a seamless counter like in the Arkham games?
    - Is the combat and animations smooth and well animated?

8. kioshi

kioshi Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Brazil
    - no idea
    - no
    - a very quick block then counter, had to play again to really notice the block
    - HELL YEAH

9. Echoen

Echoen Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    USA
    Doing an uppercut after a juggle needs to take priority over any other attacks unless it's a counter. My fighter often goes for the target behind the one I juggled and thus messes up combos and puts me at risk of getting hit.

Also with the uppercut, the window to do it is a bit too long. After a successful hit in the air, I try doing my swipe up combo again to juggle but end up doing the uppercut again hitting nothing

10. themostunclean

themostunclean Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2012
    Love the game. Been playing non-stop since launch.

But the real reason I'm posting is to bring up thread activity so CC can knock that godawful "Dead Ahead" off the top if the "Hot new games" list in the TA iOS app. It put me to sleep faster than the handful if Xanax I took the other night ;)

11. SumoSplash

SumoSplash Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    Is anyone playing this on the iPhone by any chance? With all these swiping gestures it seems tailor made for the large iPad screen, but I am worried if I get it for the iPhone it is going to be tedious and error prone.

12. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Yes, I am. And having a blast. But I'm also on a 5th gen... Though I can't see it being much of an issue on the 3.5 screen

13. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I can confirm that Combo Crew feels natural and smooth on the small screen; it's comfortable on my iPod Touch 5G.

14. Echoen

Echoen Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    USA
    I haven't tried CC yet on my iPad to compare but it works really well on my iphone. I've tried both single hand swiping with one hand holding my phone and also holding it like a game controller with two thumbs for swiping. They both work well though I suggest sticking to the default control settings even if you use both thumbs.

15. kioshi

kioshi Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Brazil
    I just played a game and did better on the iPhone.

I'm playing with 2 fighters on the phone and 2 others on the iPad because I prefer different control methods on the devices (default for iPad, thumb for iPhone) so I'm playing with different characters because I end up messing combos up if I change control schemes with the same ones.

16. Drummerboycroy

Drummerboycroy Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Clinician
    Maine!
    I've held back for the same reason...:eek:

It's weird how much my gaming has begun to fall into an, "either for the iPad OR the iPhone" pattern ever since I really started using the iPad for gaming...

Although, with all the praise for small-screen playing... ;)

DBC

17. SumoSplash

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    Hmmm... Well it sounds like it is feasible on the iPhone. Some games really stand out to me as being meant for one device or another and this just seems more suited for the iPad. Like with Shellrazer, I play it on my phone, but I always wanted to try it on the iPad, since I do the 'fork' method (yes, I just invented that term) where I hold my fingers to the side of the phone so I can use multiple weapons simultaneously. However, it is tough to get all three fingers on all three tiers since my fingers don't really fit. On the iPad though, I bet they would fit perfectly, which would change the gameplay greatly.

It also seems like there are more than one control scheme, so I guess at least one of those is bound to be suited better for the iPhone. Ok, thanks for the feedback, mighty Touch Arcade forum members.

18. SumoSplash

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    Sorry, forgot to include you :D

19. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Guys the app is universal...

20. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    ummmm....

Yeah I've tried both. Iphone 5 and ipad 2. Personally I prefer it on the iphone. It just feels a bit more snug. You really don't have any major gameplay handicap tho. I just feel the games aesthetics and theme suit the small screen more