iPad Combination - How to get reviews?

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ChrisJefferson, Jan 26, 2009.

1. ChrisJefferson

ChrisJefferson Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2009
    Hi,

I've just updated to a new version of my little game (Combination - iTunes link: [http://tinyurl.com/a7qswp] ). My biggest problem seems to be getting exposure. Too many iPhone games out there now!

I realise this post could be seen as an attempt to get exposure ;) but I'm also interested in if anyone has any suggestions. I've tried visiting a few iPhone review sites, but most don't seem to reply, and one that has took a 'free copy' code, and has never done anything with it!

As motivation, I'm willing to provide 2 free copies, to the first 2 people to reply to this thread, if they then write a paragraph or so review! I think the free codes only work in the US iTunes store, just as advanced warning...

2. Seien

Seien Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Ill give ya a quick review :) However i'm at work and i wont be able to try it out till tonight...

3. DHrox

DHrox Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    College Student
    Baltimore, MD
    #3 DHrox, Jan 26, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2009
    Hey, I'll review for you too. Give me an hour or two after the code is given.

EDIT: D/L now. I will give you a review soon.

4. McGill

McGill Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    Senior Member - Ready to Play!

I know i'm the 3rd, but i can do a great review within 5 minutes of recieving a promo...

5. thor0298

thor0298 Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    ill do one for a promo code. usually that seems to be the best exposure.

6. ChrisJefferson

Jan 25, 2009
    Wow, that didn't take long! Hopefully you both have private messages with codes in. Anyone else lie to try out the game, will have to pay, the low, low selling price! :)

7. spmwinkel

spmwinkel Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    The Netherlands
    Learn me how to do that, get to know the gameplay and available features of a game, AND write a review about it, all in 5 minutes! :eek::confused::D

8. Mr. Charley

Mr. Charley Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2008
    You don't really need to play the game then..
    Why don't you just be straight up and say I'll give you an awesome review in exchange for the game regardless of the game... :rolleyes:

edit: oh spmwinkel..I see we're on the same train of thought here....

9. DHrox

DHrox Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    College Student
    Baltimore, MD
    It's actually quite easy. The closest way I can describe it is like skimming through a book.:eek:

10. ChrisJefferson

Jan 25, 2009
    Like every game developer, I believe my game is much deeper than you could manage in 5 minutes ;) But then again, lots of iPhone apps have spent less time than that on my iPhone.

11. DHrox

DHrox Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    College Student
    Baltimore, MD
    Oh, I'm sure it'll take me personally longer than 5 minutes. I was just saying in general for non-deep games 5-10 minutes is sufficient time.:D

12. Donburns99

Donburns99 Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    ColdFusion Web Developer
    Rhode Island
    Interesting concept, they used to give us puzzles like this in math class back when I was in school. I always had a good time with them. Shame I saw this thread too late, am already over-budget for January. ^ ^

13. McGill

McGill Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    Combination...why aren't you playing???

OK - Here's the quick & skinny of this game:

What a GREAT GAME!!! I'm finding it hard to put down, but i promised a review, so quickly -

Some specifics...

First of all, a great 4 part tuorial that gives you everything you need.
    5 levels (Fun, Tricky, Taxing, Mayhem & SuperHard) & 74 stages.
    Completely pick-up & play, but impossible to put down & ignore.

If you are a puzzle fan, consider yourself a great thinker, or just looking for a fantastic challenge, this is the only game you need. Do yourself & your mind a favor; take that challenge, and try to figure out the COMBINATION...

14. ChrisJefferson

Jan 25, 2009
    Thanks for the review, I'll be sure to add it to my list :)

15. ChrisJefferson

Jan 25, 2009
    Oh, go on, it's only a few bucks ;)

16. ChrisJefferson

Jan 25, 2009
    For those who have now played combination, one question I meant to ask before!

What one (or two if you are feeling greedy) features do you think would most improve things?

Some suggestions, although do give your own!

1) More polish - title screen, options (not sure what options..)
    2) More levels - I have another 50 level pack ready to go soonish (as a free upgrade of course)
    3) Level editor - more work for me obviously, but also more work for users! do people really want to do that amount of work themselves? :)
    4) More 'things' - different types of blocks, something to mix things up a bit.
    5) Free version - I did try submitting one and Apple rejected it for no good reason.. and I feel like people should just buy it :) But maybe I should trust them to upgrade!

17. Donburns99

Donburns99 Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    ColdFusion Web Developer
    Rhode Island
    It all adds up when a ton of great apps get released daily. ^ ^

I've become more selective since filling my dock, having to find ways to remove the default Apple apps for more slots and am now running out of so-so games to remove. :p

Your game is now on my RSS feed of watched games, but sadly I won't jump on it instantly like I would have just a few weeks ago.

Once I do pick it up, I'll write up an in-depth review as normal though, maybe even some suggestions for improvements. :)

18. DHrox

DHrox Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    College Student
    Baltimore, MD
    Below is my review:
    When I first booted up the game and saw the basic menu I was wondering how good this game was going to be. But after I started playing it was clear the menu fit the general tone of the game; basic and fun. Combination is incredibly difficult and very rewarding when you beat a level. I like the nice effects when an orb is moved back. Overall I like the design presentation and I think this game is quite good.

19. ChrisJefferson

Jan 25, 2009
    Yes, I so kick myself for not getting into the game earlier.. imagine how many sales I would have got it I had been a first-day release? It would have easily paid for the iPhone, and the Mac, I'm sure!

20. DHrox

DHrox Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    College Student
    Baltimore, MD
    I've just about maxed out my app buying as well. Kinda stinks, but oh well!:D