Universal Combat Monsters - (by Rubicon)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Oct 22, 2013.

1. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Yeah I just did this, it's one chest only.

2. REkzkaRZ

REkzkaRZ Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2010
    TV Production / AV Engineer
    SF Bay Area
    Fun game -- I was surprised!!

I shouldn't like this game.
    It's kinda slow, it has silly animations that don't add to the game, a bizarre narrator comes in and says "Your turn" until you shut that off (shut it off!!), combat is simple, and the animation doesn't look wonderful on iPhone.

But I like it.

I don't think I'll keep it for long. But it was fun to play it for free, buy a few boosters with in-game currency (I spent $0), and bash heads in single player. Have no tackled harder games, but the first bunch are very easy. You also get bonus in-game $ for finishing a 'level'.

For devs, the main suggestions I'd have are -- allow disable of "double tap yes' to end turn, allow rotation (since board is 3D anyway) not just zoom, allow a bigger speed up to game, have opponent 'think' during player's turn, add some way to look up different race bonuses (seems like lizard-men get to move 2x a lot, doesn't say they can tho), and how about a LOG showing what just happened (?). I also think your price structure is too high -- I'd say extra packs are $200, special purchase packs ~ $1000 or so. Making them $4000 is just silly -- changes the whole multiplayer to 'buy to win' completely.

I was surprised that this game is one of those darned "lemme just play one more" board games. Strategy is fairly simple, but maybe it gets harder as you go along?

What do I like -- lots of races w/different abilities, a bunch of uniques with fun abilities, game can change quickly, strategic location choices, and tactics must vary against warrior, archer, mage.

3. grenadedodger

grenadedodger Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Manchester, UK
    Well that decides that then. Anybody know what the chance of pulling legendaries out of 1200 crates are?

4. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    Some lose their minds over some sort of modern luddite response to "social media", and these folks may as well get mad the sun makes the day too bright ;)

However, the other side of it is that it's just a poor fit. Outside of that narrow youth demographic that collects "friends" like a 90s geek did MTG cards, there is very little overlap of games and FB friends. Just to earn the bonus widgets and/or stop the nagging, I usually link my iOS games to FB because I have no issue in the abstract with doing this so long as I maintain control of posting... and, in the 3 years or so this has been a thing, I've found exactly 2 FB friends playing the same games as me, and they happen to be my wife and daughter :). I've said it before but it always bears repeating when the FB topic comes up: I switched to iOS gaming for my casual gaming fix to get away from Facebook because it was such an awful fit. The only way I could game on FB was to add complete strangers to my friends, people who's only shared interest was a particular game, and then I had to rig multiple lists so I could segragate privacy matters properly - just a giant pain in the butt and I'm never going back there for any game. I really have no idea what devs think they or their players get from FB integration beyond data back up and platform independent identification. For purposes of leaderboards and advertisement you may as well have us write this stuff down on a chalk board in our basements for all the good it will do us or the devs.

-----

As for the multiplayer issues: Asynchronous is a must if I'm going to bother playing anyone outside of my living room so hopefully that comes sooner than later. I'm not overly concerned about the notion of inequality - it IS a CCG based game, so inequality and the struggle against it is a big part of the game. With so many cards handed out in the single player campaign, the amount of coins you can get with the tripler for only $2.99, and cards (outside of Daily Deals) only sold in tiered boosters, inequality at the start or not will be relatively easy to overcome. What the game will need, though, is some sort of multiplayer ranking for matchmaking purposes so the inequality isn't too big of a issue.

The cross platform stuff worked seamlessly. Tried some games on my computer last night.

Anyhoo, this is hands down my GOTW. Although the presentation is obviously different, the gameplay is reminiscent of Cabals, my favorite CCG I've seen on iOS, but it's been made much more accessible. I'm about halfway done with the easy campaign and picked up a couple of the 1200 coin chests and already am able to tweak my starter (Archer) somewhat. I will be curious to see where I'm at in a few weeks deck wise and if I feel any urge to play others or keep working against the AI.

5. Rubyjourney

Rubyjourney Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2010
    Real fun game so far, only complaint is I just beat a mission I was having problems with and low and behold the game servers are down and progress wasn't saved.. Boo.

6. sivad

sivad Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Are servers down now? I've been trying to get in but I can't sync, thought it was just me

7. qklilx

qklilx Active Member

Nov 24, 2012
    Entertainer/Teacher
    Yup they're down. I was an hour or so into a 2p game as well. I had JUST turned the tides. ;-;

8. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    Its about 1 in 10. Or so I was told.

I definitely think its reasonable to get some 1000 chests until you have a well rounded team and want some legendaries. If you have a well-rounded team, the 4,000 chests are pretty clear the best value.

9. ChaosProdigy

ChaosProdigy Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2009
    Male
    Account Manager
    Boston
    Is there any way to help us get the cards we are missing the more chests we get? I got 1 card in 20 chests and trying to get 1 more is horribly random.

Use my referral code: JQ9PA28
    If you buy in game Rubicons use my above code and you get 50% more of Rubicons!

10. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    They are going to add trading in the first major content update.

Until then, for rares and legendaries you cant seem to get, watch the deal of the day.

11. andysmash

andysmash Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    I've won every online game I've played so far (because my opponent quit in fear of my amazing skill)!!!

12. RichRuzz

RichRuzz Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2012
    Anyone want to use each others code and purchase?

13. nosoup4crr

nosoup4crr Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2011
    So, I just started the hard campaign as a Mage. So far, I've just purchased 2 mega chests. Should I basically restrict my purchases only to mega chests and new heroes unless there's a good deal?

Also, I'm interested to hear some words of wisdom going through the hard campaign. Things are starting to get stickier.

14. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    Megachest doesnt have any common cards at all; 0. There are some that are useful. For example, since your playing a mage, take a look at the mage staff Aurelian (which is common), compare it to some of the rare staffs and decide which is better without regard to the rarity label. IMHO, you do want a smattering of the 400 and 1200 chests to round out your deck before focusing on the 4000 chests.

Some of the hard levels can be, well, hard. Watch for trick decks -- some of the levels the hero has just legendary gear and no creatures, for example. Spotting that will help you. And, of course, be patient as hell. You cant rush into range of those attack tiles. AI loves to pop magic shield for some reason, something I found helpful.

15. Poo

Poo Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2013
    If anyone still needs a ref code mine is QNZX0AP

16. ChaosProdigy

ChaosProdigy Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2009
    Male
    Account Manager
    Boston
    Anyone want to add me on facebook for the "Pose" extra Rubicons at win screen. Add [email protected] and i will do same for you - extra Rubicons for each.

Please use my referral code: JQ9PA28
    If you buy in game Rubicons use my above code and you get 50% more of Rubicons!

17. badmanj

badmanj Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Software developer
    Reading, England
    I'm about to buy the 16,000 + 4,000 Rubicoin pack. If there's another TA regular who wants to do the same, happy to do a mutual code-share so we both get some bonus coins... My code is MXJKBQY

Let me know asap; only going to do this one time! May be best to do this via a PM...

Cheers,

Jamie

18. badmanj

Mar 16, 2009
    Software developer
    Reading, England
    Actually - is it possible to enter a different player's code when you do a purchase? It doesn't look like, with a second purchase of coins, I get the option to enter anyone's code. Does this mean once I've entered someone's code for a purchase, that code is permanently registered against my account?

19. RichRuzz

RichRuzz Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2012
    I'll get the same pack, PM me.

20. badmanj

Mar 16, 2009
    Software developer
    Reading, England
    As I suspected, unfortunately it seems once you've entered a referral code for a purchase, you can never enter another one; so I'm stuck and unable to do this, Rich. Sorry about that.

Devs - is this a bug or a deliberate choice? Or are you only allowed to make one single referral purchase per account?

Regards,

Jamie