Universal Combat Monsters - (by Rubicon)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Oct 22, 2013.

1. ChaosProdigy

ChaosProdigy Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2009
    Male
    Account Manager
    Boston
    #121 ChaosProdigy, Oct 24, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
    I would also add why don't we see our enemy turn timer? I see my own a whopping 30 seconds and enemy i don't see at all. Most of the time my turns take less than 10 seconds the 30 sec is overkill

Referral code: JQ9PA28

2. qklilx

qklilx Active Member

Nov 24, 2012
    Entertainer/Teacher
    Timers are 90 seconds. Trust me, even that amount of time can become short in bigger games. You'll find yourself rushing to make a couple final moves during the final seconds of your turn. You still get coins for quitting opponents, but it looks to me like that only happens if they quit after turn 1. Can't remember what happens for AFK AFTER turn 1.

I think the issue about AFK is the lobby isn't quite at a busy point yet, so people are lingering in there without actually being in the app or at their phone. We actually managed a 6p last night and two players AFK'd from the start. Still had a great game after that with 4p. #2658 for those interested. Might take 30 minutes to watch the whole thing.

3. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    I'd like to see the turn timers too. Be nice if you could toggle them.

4. Jacques Cousteau

Jacques Cousteau Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Still having a blast with this. What hero is everyone using? I'm still using the beginner Mage deck guy (name on the tip of my tongue lol). I came across one player who was pretty insane, he seemed to be using a solo-esque hero deck and just demolished me by pumping his hero with armor and weapons haha.

Been playing pretty much all day though off and on, can't wait to really figure out some crazy strategies as we all progress.

5. steelsauce

steelsauce Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Do any beta testers have thoughts on how to spend gold? I finally have 4k saved up, is it best to go for the most expensive chest?

6. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Luckily, the devs do not ;)

(If done right, you should have the option to play either async or realtime, eliminating that frustration which I can understand and would probably share, had I time to game for longer contiguous sessions :) Also, realtime mechanics should be fully integrated into the async mode, which means that the game only goes async once a player leaves. Unless it is a realtime-only game, of course.)

On-taking coming up ;)

Yeah, seems yer right. Had I gone to Combat Monsters for a truly competitive experience, that advantage would have bothered me regardless. For casual play and relaxed progression, it seems to be a non-issue.

Me as well. But it seems to be a (perhaps strangely) weighted issue for many.

I can no longer find the help files that explain the Facebook connectivity mechanics in-game, but I believe it was fairly minor unless you had a big "posse".

7. Kirenx

Kirenx Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2012
    Yeah I believe you gain 1 extra coin per FB friend with the game every time you normally gain coins. Overall I really didn’t like the game, but the freemium structure was among the best I’ve seen.

8. Birth1118

Birth1118 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    Auditor
    MA, US
    How much are you buying? I'm considering it but not quite sure.

9. Birth1118

May 31, 2013
    Auditor
    MA, US
    I'm new to this game. It seems a lot of fun collecting monsters and spells. Way more variety than hero academy and xcom. The graphic, not so much.

Anyway I have tried a few online games by now. How did these guys get 150+ cards or super rare ones in such short period?! The game has just been released yesterday! I've just managed to complete the simple quests!

Another question, is there no gold for playing the same quest again?!

10. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    #130 ArtNJ, Oct 24, 2013
    The 400 chests give the most commons per $, tied on uncommons, the 1200 chests are tied on uncommons and give the most rares per $, the $4000 chests give the most legendaries per $ and are very close on rares. For overall power, once you have a rounded deck, the $4000 chest is best. Before you have a well rounded deck, you probably want some of the 400 and 1200 coin chests.

There are some good common items. For example, compare the Aurlean mage staff with the others and see what you think. I also still use Julian the common werewolf archer, and there are a few other commons I still like. No question the creatures/spells/items are generally better the more rare though.

11. qklilx

qklilx Active Member

Nov 24, 2012
    Entertainer/Teacher
    1. Some of us beta testers, as well as brand new players upon release, bought coins and chests with real money. Some beta testers just played their hearts out, both AI and MP.

2. Unfortunately you only get rewarded for each mission one time, but completing the hard campaign will give you a 7500-coin achievement. The campaign is fantastic for getting lots of coins while you improve your skill before MP matches.

12. Birth1118

May 31, 2013
    Auditor
    MA, US
    It's really unfortunate that there just ain't that many newbies to support the game. I've tried a few matches. Only one of the opponents had less than 40 cards. One even got 150+! That's crazy!

I've love PVP turn based games so far. Played Hero Academy to the top 50 of the game center lead board once. It attracted so many because you still have a fighting chance even without spending a penny. It's because there were the same number of units and spells. Yet I still got accused of using the premium team so often that I had to use the basic team to beat the crap out of someone to prove it.

In Combat Monster however, each player begins unequally. That's fine and the challenging part, which I love. For the record, I've purchased the triple benefit and is considering spending more. But my point is, there has to be a limit to the inequality! I just can't find friends around who would play with me. The disadvantage is so obvious that they are discouraged. Every time they got only line their asses got kicked. And that's not because they suck at turn based games! Something's got be done to make it more playable. Make it fun, build up a community, then charge money!

Here's what I would suggest for improvement:

1.Delay the IAP of chests. Let the game be hot and players become competitive, then offer rare cards.

2.Limit the number of cards to bring into a combat.

3.Give rewards to repeating single player quests. How much do you think the 20 / 30 /40 gp per game would hurt the IAP sales?! If you don't safe, just make the rewards diminish with each play. But don't just eliminate them entirely!

4.Another point about the campaign rewards. I don't think campaigns are designed for players to complete in one play through. Perhaps the developers want us to match some humans to build the deck first. But hey, with little chance of winning we'll just back out. Seriously, isn't it more common to strengthen up a little in solo mode before going out into the cruel world to face real people?!

I loved the game at first sight. It's not Xcom, not Hero Academy, not Warhammer Quest and not Magic. It's different and it's fun. But if you don't give those who can't spend much a good experience, there soon would be those who are paying. And then only nuts with unlimited time or money could be retained, with most of us pushed away. And finally it might just become a game of super rich people against bastards who pays nothing but get IAPs by jail breaking.

13. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    #133 ArtNJ, Oct 24, 2013
    I dont love it either Birth. Qkilix spent money during beta and kicked my butt for weeks. I spent $2.99 for the tripper. It was unfair for weeks. But...I have still only spent $2.99 and Qkilix is a good player...but I think I'm better than 50% against him in the last few weeks :)

Qkilix is right, the single player levels give really nice rewards, its a good foundation to build on.

There are permanent rewards for single player -- you can play as many quick play games as you like. The rewards are good, and the games are quick. But I advise you to finish the campaign first, quick play is hard at first, and the campaign pays better.

14. Birth1118

May 31, 2013
    Auditor
    MA, US
    Thanks for the tip! I'm stuck with the first few difficult quest. I'm gonna try for a few more days and see what happens.

15. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    I'm really liking the single player but all the talk of totally unbalanced multiplayer is what's keeping me off the multiplayer part,
    The fact there's no balancing makes me think I'll be sticking to the quick match against the AI after I finish the career mode as I don't enjoy games that are unfair, I like my multiplayer games to be on a pretty much even field which is why I like games like ascension or magic with the preset decks and things like that.
    If there's multiplayer where there's pre constructed decks that would be a lot better and more fair IMO
    (or I'm not sure but is there some kind of point limit to what you can put in your deck? Or are you free to add in all kick ass cards?)

16. Rubicon

Rubicon Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Lead Programmer, Chief Bottlewasher
    Isle of Wight, UK
    The "unbalanced" multiplayer is largely due to new players diving straight in without having played the campaign to learn how to play the cards effectively and with just a basic starter deck.

By the time you finish the campaign, or even close, you will have more than enough coins and free cards to build a competitive deck for free. If you want it quicker, well to be frank that's what the iap's are for. Even just the tripler in conjunction with some campaign play should get you moving in no time.

17. andreadeda

andreadeda Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2013
    Any suggestion as what is the better number of cards to take into battle? From games like MTG where the best decks were at 60 cards i'd suppose ideally you want to have a small deck with strong cards so they rotate better but haven't experienced yet multiplayer and not sure how loing a game can protract for...

Also what ratio between creatures/items/spells are you guys using?

I'm trying using deck of 30 cards and around 60% monster and 20% spells and 20% equipment

18. grenadedodger

grenadedodger Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Manchester, UK
    Right, I have 3535 gold saved up so far. I was going to go for a second Mega chest or whatever it is called to get a second Legendary.

However I've just seen the deal of the day is the mini chest for 150, that is a whole lot of mini chests! So considering I have the starting deck + 1 mini chest + 1 Legendary chest so far do I go for the guaranteed 3 rares and 1 legendary, or do I get 138 cards and just hope that a few of them are decent (I appreciate the chances of getting a legendary are close to zero!).

19. qklilx

qklilx Active Member

Nov 24, 2012
    Entertainer/Teacher
    Dev speaks truth. Most of the MP games I've played against the new players have been starter decks. A starter deck in any TCG doesn't stand a chance against a deck that has been built and refined. Shall the beta testers and I whip some legendary- and rare-less decks to prove this? :p

Also, larger decks do not mean better decks. You reduce the odds of drawing the cards you need. My main deck floats around 60 depending on what adjustments I've made.

20. qklilx

qklilx Active Member

Nov 24, 2012
    Entertainer/Teacher
    It's one mini chest for 150 Rubicoins. :p