Universal Combat Monsters - (by Rubicon)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Oct 22, 2013.

1. RichRuzz

RichRuzz Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2012
    Anyone want to refer each other? I'll buy gold

2. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    There's a fast animations button in the menu.

3. Rubicon

Rubicon Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Lead Programmer, Chief Bottlewasher
    Isle of Wight, UK
    #103 Rubicon, Oct 23, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
    Glad to see our new creation getting a good reception in here. Means a lot, thanks. :D

Regarding the consumeable tripler comment above:

Whilst it is technically a consumeable, you will only need to buy it once ever if you want it - it doesn't ever get consumed.

We did it this way so you can get the benefit when switching play away from iOS onto your PC, the robotty alternative, or even the Mac version coming later on. That's not possible if using an iOS only iap.

4. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    Technically that is true ;) but it does get consumed... on my account. Normally if I buy a doubler or whatever myself and my 2 children all get to use that doubler. Now, arguably this is not in the developer's short sighted interest, but if you think outside the box, how many more doublers and such get sold because family's can amortize the cost across the number of people playing. Similar function for the up front cost of games. If I had to buy a copy for everyone (like with the Nintendo platform), I would buy a lot less games (like with the Nintendo platform ;)).

To be clear, my real complaint is not that you did it this way because I get the idea of having the IAP be cross platform, it's that it's not made clear up front that the tripler is tied to one account. I expect a lot of people are going to get charged more than once and demand refunds because the implied function is that all players on the same app store purchase ID should be able to use the tripler.

5. Rubicon

Feb 22, 2011
    Isle of Wight, UK
    #105 Rubicon, Oct 23, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
    Genuinely didn't think of that tbh., our primary focus has always been on "play anywhere". Shame there's not a solution that works for both circumstances.

(I will get the team to ponder some sort of "family ticket" or something when we start making feature updates, but cannot promise anything at this time - our todo list is already bursting with new features to come.)

6. RichRuzz

RichRuzz Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2012
    I wish I picked Mage starter instead of Fighter;(

7. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    Actually, that is a shame with the coin tripler and will probably stop me purchasing for now as I think my boys would enjoy this more than me. I tend to stick multiplayer games on all the devices in my house.

8. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    If the $2.99 is an issue, why not just share an account with your kids. They cant delete any cards by accident, that isnt possible. They can have their own separately saved custom deck. You'll earn more coins. The only things you'll be missing are the ability to play each other and the joy of discovery as to each and every new card you get.

My almost 9 year old has his own account and the trippler -- he paid for it with his "own money". We play each other sometimes, so that is best for us, but I could trust him not to mess up my saved decks as long as he had his own.

9. Rubicon

Feb 22, 2011
    Isle of Wight, UK
    Actually the pass and play option already uses just the single account anyway.

10. nosoup4crr

nosoup4crr Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2011
    Is the 50g advertisement option not working for anyone else?

11. Quantus

Quantus Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    Are there plans for expansions or regular hero/card additions?

12. C. Stubb

C. Stubb Active Member

Mar 10, 2013
    ...Living.
    On Earth.
    I disagree with the asynchronous part: I hate having to wait 2 hours for my opponent to make a move that should really take about 2 minutes.

Amen on the Ravenmark part though; I'm stil having lots of fun with that game. (Username Sunflash for anyone who wants to take me and my VVV/Foxwing combo :) )

13. C. Stubb

C. Stubb Active Member

Mar 10, 2013
    ...Living.
    On Earth.
    I've never seen a game like this that didn't add some sort of content update like that. If the devs are successful, they'll release new cards.

14. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Async with timers like playdek games. You can choose from say 5mins duration to 7 days or so. Something like that.
    Or a choice of async or live in the multiplayer options. If that's even possible?

15. Rubicon

Feb 22, 2011
    Isle of Wight, UK
    That does actually work but there's some issue with the display which we'll get fixed for our first update.

If you look at your coins, watch the vid then quit the app and reload you will see that you actually got the coins. You always get em, it just doesn't look like it.

16. Rubicon

Feb 22, 2011
    Isle of Wight, UK
    Absolutely, big style.

Making no promises about delivery dates here as some of them will take a while, but we have planned out the following already and are taking requests and suggestions on our forum too.

*) Player to player trading
    *) Asynchronous online play
    *) Team play - 2v2, 3v3 and 2v2v2
    *) Sit and go constructed tournaments
    *) "Draft" tournaments
    *) A boatload of new cards released regularly
    *) A stack of gameplay related achievements

This is not a fire and forget project for us. If we have even a whiff of financial success (ie can afford to do it) we'd like to stay focussed on expanding this game forever. Really. Can't get enough of playing it.

17. nosoup4crr

nosoup4crr Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2011
    My issue is that clicking "do it" doesn't do anything.

18. ChaosProdigy

ChaosProdigy Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2009
    Male
    Account Manager
    Boston
    #118 ChaosProdigy, Oct 23, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
    So... my first experience online multi-player was horrible.

My opponent AFK from start and never made a move. there was no move timer that would pass the turn back to me and he just forever stayed AFK. I had to quit and lost that for no reason - bad design.

Then players quit any time they are losing or too hard for them to win - there is no incentive for them to fight to end of game, they just rush to next game so they can farm more easy wins...

Please fix.

Use my referral code: JQ9PA28
    If you buy in game Rubicons use my above code and you get 50% more of Rubicons!

19. Rubicon

Feb 22, 2011
    Isle of Wight, UK
    There is a turn timer so it must have been you having the problem. Was there not a flashing connection symbol?

20. ChaosProdigy

ChaosProdigy Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2009
    Male
    Account Manager
    Boston
    #120 ChaosProdigy, Oct 24, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
    No I have perfect internet so far i played 6 games, first game the person just afk and i lost patience and quit so lost.

But after that i stick it out 5 games all of which the other player either quit or afk quit if they think they are losing.

What is the incentive for players to actually fight to the end???

Can we get a option for 10-15 second turns max, right now a player can just abuse waiting 29 seconds every time... its soooooo annoying and LONG games...

Worst thing is that when they AFK and waste my time - I get no reward in the end and they just stole my time/ruined my fun.

Use my referral code: JQ9PA28
    If you buy in game Rubicons use my above code and you get 50% more of Rubicons!