Universal Combat Monsters - (by Rubicon)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Oct 22, 2013.

1. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    QS5SP87
    That's my share code if anyone's interested.

2. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    Yeah, it's only $3, but it's disappointing to see the tripler, something I assumed was a non-consumable IAP when I bought it, is in fact consumable. I doubt very much either of my kids would go for a game with this level of complexity, but, at the same time, would be nice for them to be able to try the "full" game, but that ain't going to happen due to the very high risk neither will play it past a few days.

Not complaining exactly, and sure I would have bought it anyhow being Paul/Rubicon and all, but after Apple and other devs have spent years conditioning gamers to assume that permaboosts like the tripler are non-consumable IAP and, therefore, restorable on all your devices, feel that it should have been made clear the purchase was tied to the CM account NOT your Apple ID used to purchase it.

----

The quibbles with the nature of the tripler IAP aside, so far am very impressed with the game (and the recycling of the GBWG engine :)), only in-game complaint is the tutorial messages are smack over the game board on the iPod touch 5G, which made seeing what was going on a bit of a pain.

3. Crimzzen

Crimzzen Member

Feb 12, 2013
    QLT7B47

If you would be so kind!

4. andysmash

andysmash Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    I chose the archer deck at the beginning. Five attempts and I still haven't beaten the first battle of the Easy Quest. Is that normal, am I AMAZINGLY bad at this game on a level I've never experienced with a video game or did I just really screw up choosing Archer?

5. JagerBombS

JagerBombS Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2012
    #85 JagerBombS, Oct 23, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
    I chose archer and it took me a few tries, I was getting discouraged as well. The "Edgar"(?) card that buffs all attacks permanantly seems OP in that first battle! Once I cleared that level I've cruised through the next couple. Don't give up lol.

6. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    #86 ArtNJ, Oct 23, 2013
    Which archer? The one that starts with 3 mojo might be more of a challenge. But generally archer heroes are very good, and you definitely did not screw up by going archer.

It could be that this isnt a type of game you have played before, and it could just be luck. My almost 9 year old, he has very much played this type of game before, he made it to medium on his own without IAP, but certain levels he tried several times. Only on the straight path to medium, he couldnt do the "easy" branches with treasure, which are harder, and not actually all that easy. So, even if you havent played this type of game before, I'm sure you can get to medium pretty easily, might just need to modify your mindset a tad. Here are some tips on beating the AI: http://www.rubicondev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1819

So what hero, what deck modifications have you made, what strategy are you employing, etc...

7. andysmash

Apr 6, 2011
    I've played about every game like this there is in my 30 years on earth, haha. I am fully versed in tactical and strategy games. I've got every achievement possible in Hero Academy and was a tournament level trading card game in my youth. I am BUILT for this game. I don't get it...

I had Shaq (4 mojo archer) and have since bought Lavalem, 4 mojo warrior. He's doing better, but I still get to a point in each game where my opponent is spawning 2-3 creatures per turn and I have none. He then puts a shield of dudes around him so I can't reach. I can kill one per turn, maybe 2 if I'm lucky, and he puts two right back in their place. Insane.

I think I need to delete my deck and start over from the top. I can't gain mojo quick enough and my cards are worth too much, I think.

8. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    #88 ArtNJ, Oct 23, 2013

The biggest thing is that because the AI cheats, you cant necessarily rush him. (Sometimes you can when the AI does stupid stuff like place 3 runes in a row.) You shouldnt build units in range where he can build an archer and kill it, they will likely just be killed. Build units out of range, and when he builds or places a killable unit, then you move your unit in kill range. Patience is much more important than against a human, especial on the campaign levels, where the boards are screwy and the AI has access to attack bonus tiles. With patience, usually the AI will do something stupid and you'll gradually pull even and ahead.

If your hero has 4 mojo, you definitely cant have too many things that cost 5 or 6 - have to pick and chose.

P.S. Designers are Brits. I thought they made a female valkyrie named "Shaq" ignorant that Shaq was a basketball player, but no, they did it on purpose -- it appealed to their sense of humor :)

9. Pagan Fox

Pagan Fox Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2012
    Chose the Mage pack to start and played some of the tutorial.....loved it immediately and so took the plunge and bought the tripler IAP.
    I have to say this game is deep, very deep.
    I'm part way through the single player easy campaign and there are so many tactical decisions to be made....very refreshing, very challenging, very rewarding.
    I think I am going to enjoy this game very much.
    Look forward to battling some of you online when I get my deck sorted.
    Oh, and here is my code for extra coins..... JCH71YE

10. JonnyRo1

JonnyRo1 Active Member

Jun 14, 2013
    Enjoying this game very much :) hope to see y'all in battle! ;)

11. andysmash

Apr 6, 2011
    OK, there we go. Deleted my whole deck and recrafted with a Magic The Gathering-ish formula of monsters / spells breakdown and did much better. I was running with 9 mojo a turn, summoning two monsters a turn and beat the first level only taking 6 damage on my hero. Excellent! I guess trying to make a deck at 1 a.m. and wondering why it failed so horribly was my mistake :)

12. sivad

sivad Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Purchased the triplet, and having a blast in single player mode. It's a great strategy building, deck builder. I haven't tried multiplayer, but the easy campaign so far has been challenging. I really like it!

Side note, I can't find where to put a referral code in, I will post my code for others in the appropriate forum however ;)

13. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    #93 ScotDamn, Oct 23, 2013
    So has anyone noticed the very first level, the enemy has a far superior deck? This is quite frustrating and doesn't bond well for a player trying to get acquainted with the game.

Edit: So it seems I'm not alone after some reading of this thread. (who wouldve thought?) :)

I have NEVER played Magic card game. But I guess it's similar to it?

14. sivad

sivad Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Which class are you? I've played 6 as a Mage and only lost 1 when I faced the archer for first time for a free card :)

15. ScotDamn

Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    I picked the Mage deck. I guess it's gonna take some thinking? :)

16. sivad

sivad Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Definitely more strategy than I was banking on, but so far I'm hooked.

17. Mycroft

Mycroft Active Member

Jan 17, 2009
    U.S.A.
    I'm in for asynchronous multiplayer. :)

The game is enjoyable, well worth the tripler for $2.99, I appreciate the option to try it out and reward the devs for a good game and receive the permanent bonus.

I will likely monitor the "daily deals" in the marketplace and take advantage of any that look useful, but don't see myself getting invested heavily (emotionally or financially ;) ) until asynch arrives. Along with that, don't see any way I would be able to participate in a tournament that was not asynch, personally.

18. Adsinjapan

Adsinjapan Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2013
    No offence to the devs if they're reading this, but I felt my interest immediately drop off as soon as I booted the game.
    The always online aspect means little no fun for people with wifi only connections.
    The menus are pretty garish and already the game seems to be begging me to promote it with my friends to earn cash.
    Sorry, not going to happen. I don't like to spam my friends with any kind of game requests.

These days I tend to avoid free-to-play like the plague. I HATE IAPs and would rather pay good money for a solid, refined product.
    I was already feeling put off my this, but I had to give it a try.

Sorry.

19. ChaosProdigy

ChaosProdigy Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2009
    Male
    Account Manager
    Boston
    #99 ChaosProdigy, Oct 23, 2013
    Love game but please please please please allow a Faster animations option as games even on Solo are Sooooooo slow. A quick game on mobile 15+ min?

Use my referral code: JQ9PA28
    If you buy in game Rubicons use my above code and you get 50% more of Rubicons!

Enjoy!

20. ScotDamn

Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    Yeah, strategy games are my favorite, however not so much with card games usually. So this is totally new to me and I'm not sure how I feel about it yet. :D