Universal Combat Monsters - (by Rubicon)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Oct 22, 2013.

1. grenadedodger

grenadedodger Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Manchester, UK
    Thanks SteveVenezia, at work at the moment but will watch that Deck Building video with interest later.

About a 3rd through the Easy campaign at the minute. Very much enjoying it, much deeper than I thought it would be.

2. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    I have some strategy posts on the forum:

How to Beat the AI:

http://www.rubicondev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1819&sid=362e9d00872c020a27952341ee0c2cc2

Deck Building Tips:

http://www.rubicondev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1759

3. CliffAhead

CliffAhead Active Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Game looks good. But I'm not interested in the multiplayer aspect, just the single player campaign. How solid is it?

4. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    The most important tip I have is DO NOT GET ONE OF THE 3 MOJO HEROES AS YOUR STARTER HERO.

I am not convinced they are balanced at all, but they are certainly not appropriate for new players.

5. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    #65 ArtNJ, Oct 23, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
    Its not a campaign in the true sense, as their is no story. Its a bunch of battles. They did make some effort to vary up the maps and the decks. Some of the single player levels are challenging, and the rewards are nice, but despite being a huge fan of the game, I cant claim that the single player is much of a reason to get the game. Its clearly not.

Because the rewards are nice, completing the single player is a productive way to improve your deck faster than immediately diving into multiplayer. You may even find it a lot of fun. You may enjoy the "quick play" against the AI when your done. But its a multiplayer game.

6. CliffAhead

CliffAhead Active Member

Dec 22, 2010
    That is saddening. Would have been an instabiy for me.

:(

7. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    ?
    Dude it's free. I'm having a blast on the sp at the moment. Why would you not at least try it?!

8. SteveVenezia

SteveVenezia Active Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Developer
    London
    The singleplayer is actually quite lengthy and challenging, I think the multiplayer just outshines it.

I'd compare it to playing the old Unreal Tournament and Quake Arena games - singleplayer bot-modes were fun but they couldn't compare against the multiplayer-fests.

9. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    I agree with Lost Deputy and SteveVenezia.

The game is free, and you might enjoy the single player a good deal. I dont know if it will stay on your device if you are against multiplayer, but its free.

I did say I view it as a $2.99 game. But that is really only if you want to build your deck to compete against other players. If you are into single player only, I think it would be fun without any investment at all.

10. Jacques Cousteau

Jacques Cousteau Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2013
    This game is wonderful and exactly what I've been looking for.
    I've played shadow era since it came out on ios off and on, (played mtg irl but didnt get into it on ios) pretty burnt out on it. I've always been a sucker for CCG/TGC and then this takes it a step further and adds a whole other layer of strategy.

Gave it five stars, would reccomend it to anyone whos a fan of mtg, shadow era or any other ios card game.

11. Zeillusion

Zeillusion Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2013
    #71 Zeillusion, Oct 23, 2013
    As the devs said, it's a 2.99$ game but they let you play for free. If you want you can buy the coin 3x tripler to make it a lot easier. Although you don't have to, it's just going to take longer to get established. ^^ love the game

12. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    #72 ArtNJ, Oct 23, 2013
    Deleted - sorry. Was about our facebook chat group that we use to organize larger multiplayer games, but its not set up to allow people entry that arent already facebook friends. We probably need another way to organize larger games. Although if the game is popular enough, random should work.

13. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Not sure if this has been mentioned before but this is a really good game :D seems like a great fit for me as it's got everything I like, collections stuff, turn based, cards,

Only one thing, is there no reset button? I picked the warrior at the start and I'm wishing I'd picked a different class!
    I can find a way to reset other than making a new account but then I'd lose my name?

Unrelated but I still can't take the name rubicon serious as it just reminds me of the juice (at least here in the uk anyway)
    http://www.rubiconexotic.com

14. qklilx

qklilx Active Member

Nov 24, 2012
    Entertainer/Teacher
    Hey guys! I'm another one of the beta testers. Let me fill you in on a few things being discussed.

- Yes it's freemium. If you enjoy TCGs, tactics games, and even deck builders, you may be interested in immediately getting the coin tripler for $2.99 USD. The single player campaign provides a hefty sum of coins for beating somewhat easy AI and those will be tripled. The other IAPs are completely unnecessary. ArtNJ built a very respectable deck and strategy in just a couple weeks or so by purchasing ONLY the tripler.

- This being a TCG at heart, players who pay money will of course have an advantage, but as stated before, this is temporary and dependent on the skill of the player to use that cash well. It won't be long before tripler players start to win consistently over paying players.

- No async... I actually don't know the details on that but I'm sure it will be implemented soon. They can't hold a reasonable tournament (you can see the icons for them in the multiplayer menu) via live games due to all the time differences and IRL schedules people have. Everyone in beta wanted it though.

- Internet. Everything you do is sent to the server: matches, wins, coins bought, coins spent, and so on. Without an internet connection you couldn't do anything. I predict it will also be a great aid for preventing cheating since the game also requires an account be made (super quick and easy).

- FB integration is actually very discreet. I agree it's cumbersome, like with any game that uses it, but it only posts to your wall if you tell it to at the end of a match and if you get 10 friends with the tripler then you're gaining an additional 30 coins a game. That will add up fast.

- My referral code: MJ4PLYF

15. badmanj

badmanj Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Software developer
    Reading, England
    Just installed on my son's iTouch as well as on my iPad and it seems the coin triplet isn't something that works on all your devices - you need to pay again...

I guess I can live with this because it's on two different 'game' accounts in Combat Monsters - however can anyone confirm if I install the game again on my iPhone and use the same in-game account as on my iPad, I will NOT be charged a third time for the tripler? Are coins and powerups retained across devices using the same login?

16. qklilx

qklilx Active Member

Nov 24, 2012
    Entertainer/Teacher
    Indeed, all account data will carry over if you log in on another device. The beta testers all confirmed this earlier today when we installed the game on our phones (beta was Windows-only).

17. Bischi777

Bischi777 Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2013
    This game sucks...

...up my iphone 5 batteries rather quickly :)

Apart from that, i'm loving it! Big fan of the werewolves race, which after a few kills have a lot of health.

18. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    Yes, stuff is attached to your account and stored on their server, not your device

19. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey

Yeah, 3,000 coins to get a new hero wont cut it for you, even if you had that much, since you'll still have your warrior starter deck, which wont work well as a mage or archer starter deck. So either new account, IAP, or stick with warrior for a while. Wont take too long to earn enough coins and cards to branch out.

I am not fond of Dean because 3 mojo is tough to work with, but the other warriors are pretty good, no disadvantage. I especially like Ouranus, but the others are good too. As you get more cards, you'll add archers and mages to your deck to round out your deck, so its not like you'll be without range. Warrior weapons do the best damage at the cheapest cost, and the move 2 thing is handy as well.

20. Twenty One

Twenty One Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012
    Oil & Gas Engineer
    Oklahoma City, USA
    Great game as usual from Rubicon!

However I am VERY disappointed that there is no asynch play!