Universal Combat Monsters - (by Rubicon)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Oct 22, 2013.

1. actionrpg8000

actionrpg8000 Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2012
    No, I've only ever had one account. I did install and play on an android tablet, but always under my actionrpg8k username. Maybe everything got converted into rubicoins during an update? Because I know I didn't have 10,000 rubicoins.

2. Rubicon

Rubicon Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Lead Programmer, Chief Bottlewasher
    Isle of Wight, UK
    #602 Rubicon, Mar 22, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2014
    I don't get this at all. Can you mail me at the link in my sig with your username and I'll get it looked into. I don't see how this could happen even in theory tbh, but will know more when I can get some data.

Thanks.

EDIT: Having made a guess, I can see your pertinent details here.

Progress
    Posse Points: 28
    Games won: 127 out of 157
    MP Games won: 23 out of 35
    Achievements: ACH_DID_REALM1
    ACH_DID_REALM2
    ACH_DID_REALM3
    ACH_DID_REALM4

Four decks with single word names, 3 with 30 cards, 1 with 50.

Are you somehow not seeing that?

3. actionrpg8000

actionrpg8000 Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Deleted the app and reinstalled it- I have see everything now. Weird- thanks for the help :)

4. Rubicon

Feb 22, 2011
    Isle of Wight, UK
    Very! Glad you're going now though. :)

5. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #605 Ayjona, Jun 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2014
    I don't know of there is still any active development of Combat Monsters, but if so, the option to create our own heroes with a simple appearance customization engine, and then apply an existing hero template, would be a wonderful addition, one I'd gladly pay good Rubicoins for.

(Often, custom characters in TBSs and TCGs is a fairly redundant feature, but in CM, where the hero features so prominently, both on the board and towering above it, it would be great to see my pixelated and vectorized self out there.)

6. Rubicon

Feb 22, 2011
    Isle of Wight, UK
    I like that idea a lot.

Monsters is still sort of in active development. We've taken some time away to get some other stuff out, but we'll be returning to it shortly. Can't wait! :)

7. Unfrozen

Unfrozen Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 11, 2011
    Canada
    Good. This is one of the best games on any platform.

8. Rubicon

Feb 22, 2011
    Isle of Wight, UK
    We feel it's the best we've ever done too. It's a total shame the lack of media interest practically killed it.

We actually make more income from an adware version yahtzee and that didn't take over ten man years to make.

Looking for suggestions on how to relaunch this game next year. It ticks every box for me, apart from the one labelled "in demand" :(

9. chaos_envoys

chaos_envoys Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Medical Doctor
    Pokke Village, Indonesia
    Online only... Just hate that......

10. brothamannp11911

brothamannp11911 Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2011
    #610 brothamannp11911, Oct 1, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
    1. Go $1.99 price tag, give the player a little more OOMPH than free version.
    2. Make hero prices cheaper, not a crazy amount, but make them more accessible so players feel some more progression
    3. Got to do something different marketing-wise. I read your guys woes on that and hate it. I have some ideas on that I'll pm u when I'm able to type on a real keyboard.
    4. A little expansion on 2.... A true single player experience, that does not require online connectivity. Let me play Rubicon's deck, but not have to play Rubicon online, just an AI that is controlling their best deck... Foursaken Media has done this with Phantom Rift and it is pretty cool way to it,,, but keep the "chess match" as well.... Maybe a campaign with a basic story...
    5. Don't change core game. It's as you guys say, perfect fun... The only thing that slowed me down was it felt like it ramped up too fast... I got thrown into battles I wasn't ready for, even after throwing some shekels your way I felt unmatched quickly.

11. Rubicon

Feb 22, 2011
    Isle of Wight, UK
    Useful so far, thanks.

I don't get this always online sentiment though tbh. All games in this and similar genres need a server to keep your coins and collection safe, which has an additional benefit that you can then play on other platforms with the same account.

I appreciate this is not as smooth as not requiring an online connection, but it's a mobile phone and WoW, Magic online and many etc's seem to get customers without that particular gripe. I get it won't be universally liked, but there has to be more than that going wrong.

Would a middle ground of needing occasional connections to sync up be any better? We can do that at a push with some major redesign.

12. brothamannp11911

brothamannp11911 Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2011
    #612 brothamannp11911, Oct 3, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
    Middle ground would work. If someone really doesn't give two bits about the multiplayer aspect, the Human vs. Human, you can store info locally from your single player adventures and arena battles and then have it load up when net connection happens again. Depends on our ROI, though, like you said, would take some major redesign... but, if you are looking to pick this back up, maybe some pushing on this would be worth it?

Combat Monsters: Dungeons with a full singleplayer, with some lite roguelike, random map generated stuff, find cards in a very basic dungeon that has the same graphics as the battles, with rewards that benefit your online side as well...

I know, I know, that is proposing a MAJOR addition, but you are wanting ideas, right?

I would also recommend, since this is such a deep game, creating a newsletter bi-weekly, something that folks sign up for, that talk about characters, maybe some fan fiction, some useful strategies, etc. that draw folks into the game; keep the FB page hopping with bi-weekly or more posts, have links to replays, if that is possible, have top players share strategies, profile different characters, etc. run contests on the page that say "Hey, everyone who has LIKED the page, we will give away 300 coins every Friday, etc." Anything to drum up interest, you know?

13. Rubicon

Feb 22, 2011
    Isle of Wight, UK
    That's all doable.

I do like the newsletter idea. To be honest, we almost did that then didn't bother at the last minute as GLWG had this and under 1% of people signed up for it. Different game type though so maybe a ball drop.

14. stbassy

stbassy Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 7, 2011
    Need help. Lost my user/player-name (not my password).
    Oddly, game allows me to reset my password, but cant email me my user/player-name

Rubicon, anything u can do?

15. Rubicon

Feb 22, 2011
    Isle of Wight, UK
    Your password isn't stored in a human readable format so even if you told us what it was it wouldn't allow us to match to anything.

However, if you put your email address in, we could probably use that. Mail it to me at [email protected] and I'll see if the server guy can rustle something up for you.

16. stbassy

stbassy Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 7, 2011
    Hi

That was fast!
    I have sent you the email I used when i created my account to your rubicondev email.

17. Rubicon

Feb 22, 2011
    Isle of Wight, UK
    Received. Hopefully we can use it.

18. markaman

markaman Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2013
    http://www.rubicondev.com/blog/combat-monsters-3-0-reinforcements/

This thread hasn't been that active on here, but here's an article on the next update. Anyone who hasn't played the game should really try it. It is very fun and IMO is better than hearthstone.

19. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    It is not comparable to Hearthstone (Hearthstone is a classic CCG, whereas CM is a TBS that uses cards to represent units, equipment and spells visually before they are played), and you might do both games a disservice with the comparison.

That said, Combat Monsters is a great game, and the new update sounds absolutely monstrouos. Tripling the amount of playable effects by adding another 1200 cards is unheard of! (And while Rubicon can do this more easily, since their units, spells and equipment follow very standardized themes and almost never offer unique, non-recurring effects - nearly all cards are varieties of other cards and recurring themes, with FAR more iterative effects and mechanics than any CCG - it is still danged impressive!)

I hope it does much better this time around.

20. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Played a bit on Steam, pretty cute so far but it's burning me up that I now can't play it on iOS (only understandable as the versions are massively out of sync to the tune of 1200 cards). Hurry up, Apple!