Universal Combat Monsters - (by Rubicon)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #21 Vovin, Oct 23, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
    Just released here in Germany, instant download and first thing I did was purchasing the coin doubler. Might get a nice little coin package as well later, because these Rubicon guys are amazing. And I love their attitudes and to support their games.

I LOVE the mix. Damn, I've been waiting for years for a strategy PLUS Magic: the Gathering game.
    This one is actually beautiful in every way.

2. Kirenx

Kirenx Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2012
    Is the realtime play against actual people? I ask because so many freemium games have a pseudo combat system playing against stuff people have set-up, but controlled by an AI.

3. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    +1

This wont leave my phone for a loooooong time

4. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    #24 ArtNJ, Oct 23, 2013
    Volvin, if you do buy coins, make sure to use a code, you get 50% more coins, and the referrer gets the same bonus. My code is: JFLF5HT

5. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    #25 ArtNJ, Oct 23, 2013
    Yes KirenX, realtime against actual people. Each side gets 90 seconds per round. There is one on one, and 3, 4 and 6 player free for all. Team games will be added at some point. It all works really smoothly -- at least on the PC, where the beta testing was done.

The single player AI isnt terrible, as far as these games go, but it needs to cheat to compete. Multiplayer is where the (massive) replay value is.

6. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Out early!!! Awesome!
    (Why not just wait for conventional release though, as I thought this gave you a better chance of being in apples new and noteworthy.)
    Anyway, not complaining, have been looking forward to this release, and did play a little during beta.

7. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    Update out already sheesh! Just connectivity stuff apparently

8. Mr. Charley

Mr. Charley Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2008
    So if real time, how long does a match take? I like the Hero Academy asynchronous gameplay and not sure I have the time to stay online for a full game (especially when at work!) ;)
    Estimation?

9. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    10 minutes for a 2 player, give or take. More players can mean longer games

10. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Meh I don't like the online only aspect, totally not necessary. Unless the entire game is multiplayer then I'd be okay with that.

11. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #31 Ayjona, Oct 23, 2013
    Game Impressions

My first impression is that Combat Monsters lack the presentational polish of previous Rubicon titles, but perhaps that's just in the nature of freemium titles. Other than that, it already seems to have quite a lot to offer CCG and TBS fans, and has tremendous potential.

It would take async to get me invested in the multiplayer aspect (and a game like this REALLY should offer both realtime and async play, preferably nicely integrated in the manner of Carcassonne and Playdek games). Would anyone (ArtNJ?) happen to know if there are plans for such?

The coin tripler is a nice IAP option, and seems like the recommended default. A good way to both provide a premium-like experience, and accumulate a large player base with freemium appeal.

A word of warning to those that ill like to be surprised, though: this balance is marred by the fact that progress can also be bought, in the forms of cards, heroes and equipment for the little dudes. There are also social mechanics that give you a larger haul from battles if you've Facebook pals who also play the game (something that obviously require you to connect your Facebook account to Combat Monsters). I think this is a nice way to establish some level of initial connection to other people, but I know that some players resent having to give a game access to their social media accounts.

For pure and sophisticated turn-based strategy with persistance that does not impact battle balance, Ravenmark. Mercenaries will remain my primary (and only) choice. But for a nice mix of genres, with deck construction marching side by side with casual turn-based skirmishes, the mesh of the random and the carefully planned that the collective card game genre have polished to sheen, a strong sense of inter-match persistence and sense of progression, and low entry requirements on strategic skill and knowledge of mechanics before fun can be had, Combat Monsters might already be one of the finest (and also one of the few ;) ) offerings for the platform.

12. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    #32 ArtNJ, Oct 23, 2013
    My impression is that there were strong plans for asynch, but Rubicon was so happy with how smooth realtime is, asynch got backburnered. I think they are sort of waiting to see how many people ask for it. Tournaments and card trading are the first content update. Asynch, if people want it, could be after that. I definitely want asynch, although I do like the realtime mode a lot as well.

I generally agree with you about the facebook thing, but its a pretty minor issue, for me at least.

As far as "buying progress," that is fair, as long as you realize its only a temporary lead. A small minority that spend heavily will have a strong advantage at first, but trippler people can catch up in time.

13. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Revolting discussion.

14. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Guys does the single player campaign make this worth a buy by itself?

15. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    #35 ArtNJ, Oct 23, 2013
    Its not much of a "campaign" really -- just some battles (quite a few actually) strung together, with quickplay at the end. There is no story, and not enough variety to make it a true "campaign" in the sense that I use the term.

Of course, the game is free, so you can try it out without spending a dime. You dont have to "buy" anything to get the full experience and see what YOU think.

16. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    This is true!

17. Kirenx

Kirenx Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2012
    Ugh, this often kills freemium-style games for me. How big is the bonus from those who use Facebook and those who don't?

18. andysmash

andysmash Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Downloaded and going through the tutorial. Game is so slick.
    Referral code: Q2W1UVQ

19. RinoaHeartily

RinoaHeartily Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    People don't like freemium because they want to have level playing field with those who paid..

Why people can't just accept this is a great concept!! It's free!! U don't have to be the top player in the game.. Just have fun and things don't go your way just move on....

20. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    Crashed on 5s in tutorial...