Universal Colossatron: Massive World Threat - (by Halfbrick Studios)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Dec 18, 2013.

1. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    Yep, plenty of IAP and the hated social network leaderboards, but this is a really polished, hectic and fun game, so all that crap is forgivable. Especially for just a buck. Developers need to eat too ;-)

2. Dams

Dams Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2012
    I will wait. I know halfbrick, very soon it will be free

3. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Just bought, I'll be trying it out soon.

4. philodygmn

philodygmn Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2012
    Beat it! As I hoped, there's a built-in difficulty ramp but you control when it does: a Prestige medal for beating the game, which you can accept or decline at any time, will reset your Colossatron's Gadgets but nothing else, not Armory upgrades either, and it will make enemies tougher. Perfect. I'm a tad disappointed the last tier wasn't another Gadget, but they had to fit the "medal" mechanic in someplace, and this is appropriate given it's the end of Colossatron's own upgrade path...I mean, there would always be just one more plaque tacked on the end of the Gadgets, so, whev.

I don't like that Prisms are required to change your mind on Colossatron's upgrades for a given "plot" playthrough, but the impact on gameplay is negligible in light of replays' resetting them anyway. Of course, you can grind all you want before accepting the medal with your existing Gadget loadout, but the type to _really_ _care_ which they picked is likely also, IMO, to care for the further challenge of replays, which has them pick a new set anyway. Perfect as can be, in my book.

I spent none of my (in-game) money until the end, and had enough to trick myself out pretty good, repair between cities, and enough Prisms to revive to my kitted-out landing state (a VERY wise design decision, otherwise reviving to nothing but your head would be a joke raping you for IAP to make continues meaningful), all of which saw me win handily. So much fun!

I think there should be some hilariously cataclysmic ending sequence like Colossatron burrowing holes through the planet so much it falls apart and its pieces drift into space or something, maybe into the Sun, and Colossatron's off into a time portal to do it again to Earth in another time for a sequel, or something?

Such a great little game!

5. oooooomonkey

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Well I'm not sure what I was expecting but this isn't exciting at all, I've just played through the first city then two locations in the next area and it feels like I'm just watching a giant robot snake thing destroy stuff without me actually doing much, I mean watching a giant robotic snake destroy stuff is all fine and well but it just doesn't feel like much of a game compared to half bricks other games,
    It was only 69p so no big deal but I'm disappointed that it's not as good as half bricks usual games. That I normally enjoy.

6. Asdone

Asdone Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2009
    In the description game center is enabled. Are achievements in the game?

7. oooooomonkey

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    No just leaderboards.

8. jameslavis

jameslavis Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2011
    Going on the non iap route. Where you guys dumping prisms? Gut is telling me purple

9. KeKhan

KeKhan Well-Known Member

May 28, 2012
    HOLY CRAP THIS IS SO MUCH FUN!!

I was initially put off by the "no direct control" and the presence of IAP.

As for the control, don't worry - this is as actiony as it gets! Your fingers are constantly moving and there is multitouch so the possibilities are huge and frantic. Later on you unlock abilities that give more direct control as well.

The IAP are not required at all.. Come on, this is Halfbrick, what was I worried about? IAP just for the impatient.

Match 3 + Triple town + dynamic tower defense + Zuma describes it pretty well.

10. walmartpolice

walmartpolice Well-Known Member

May 12, 2012
    Then you don't know HB.
    Any game they released waited at least 6 months before going free.
    Unless 'very soon' means that then there you go.

Edit: just woke up and beat this by the way. Now I get to prestige? (New game plus)

I'm ready.

11. RichRuzz

RichRuzz Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2012
    I'm not sure if I fully understand how to play. I match same colors? Sometimes non same absorb each other also..

12. Havelcek

Havelcek Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 30, 2013
    Thanks for all the comments everyone...I will definitely be picking this up tonight to give it a whirl.

I work in midtown Manhattan and I can't get a half-cup of coffee for 99 cents. Honestly at this pace noone is going to make games for the iPad except Chillingo and EA. I don't know how these shops are staying in business.

13. DannyTheElite

DannyTheElite Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
    Colours mix together
    Yellow and red = orange etc

14. o0oJAKEo0o

o0oJAKEo0o Well-Known Member

May 23, 2012
    Full-Time Student
    KCMO
    Just to clearify something. I did not "follow" you to the other thread, I simply enjoy the two games and I like many others are following both games (not one person). I think you need to get over yourself. You are quickly starting to piss me off... I would suggest you stop accusing me of being childish and immature.

...where did you see me ask "why you haven't bought the game?" I actually asked IF you had bought the game...
    Why in the world would I care WHY you had not bought the game?

15. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    This....thread...hurts my brain. :eek:

It's $.99. Nearly free. Not really worth derailing a thread.

Also, people are allowed to be let-down by games. It's ok that you like it and others don't. Enjoy it.

I haven't had a chance to play this yet, but I look forward to playing it soon enough. :cool:

SO. Has anyone been let down initially but than realized it was a fun game? Perhaps better because of it? It looks like mindless fun with a solid presentation and engaging gameplay. Would that be an accurate description?

16. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

**Raises hand**
    http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpost.php?p=3074991&postcount=127

I was going to skip this but the positive impressions swayed me and I'm not disappointed. Once I realized it's essentially a dynamic tower defense game with a real time Match-3 style upgrade mechanic rather than...say Super Mega Worm: Mech Edition, I really grew to enjoy the game and it has more depth and strategy than you might think

17. philodygmn

philodygmn Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2012
    Yep! That was my first play. Then green, which I think plays actually even more powerful, so in retrospect I might'a done that _instead_, actually, so that blue wasn't required for both my upgraded colors <:O) I would then have done orange (even though that doubles-up on yellow ;OP both the others are long-ish-range...) which does fantastic damage at surprising distance and is great near the front where enemies tend to crowd the most...I had counted on purple's being _infinite_ range, so my strategy was a bit off, and because they tend to aim near your head, trying to protect my purples by having them a ways down the chain wound up a bit counterproductive.

I completely forgot about multi-touch! I was always so busy or intent on watching for cores *donk*

I highly recommend selecting the Hot Swap Gadget, because between cities you effectively are granted infinite swapping, which is _far_ more valuable than Color Cycle, especially since cores you buy in space cycle anyway for you.

I wish they had zero-point units that freeze units in a beam then smash them into others!

I resent this has become something to mention, but I appreciate that it runs fine offline (except the obvious like real-money purchases and leaderboards).

18. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    Excellent. So there is indeed Hope! Wait, wrong game. :D

Thanks for the impressions.

19. jameslavis

jameslavis Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2011
    Into the second map. Third city beats me. Prisms for upgrades are rare. Did the base armor upgrade for all colours. Now gotta rack them up for purple upgrades. Seems like I will be waiting a while

20. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

What game were you commenting about? Because that comment fit this thread perfectly