Universal Colossatron: Massive World Threat - (by Halfbrick Studios)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Reading walmarts quote in your message is really funny.

"Not talking to you man but I'll humor you since we're playing "my opinion is better than yours"."

This thread is pretty Funny. Exact opposite of the shadow sun thread.

2. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    How frantic is the gameplay? It's hard to tell from watching the videos.

Also, I'm not clear on whether the upgrades you buy persist between plays or not.

3. Jake7905

Jake7905 Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Nice game by Halfbrick, I wasn't too impressed by their last game, but this is definitely worth the buck. Not your typical match-3 game.

4. o0oJAKEo0o

o0oJAKEo0o Well-Known Member

May 23, 2012
    Full-Time Student
    KCMO
    Okay, you are having an easier time than me then. Are you repairing or adding more turrets in between stages? Also, what color is your favorite? Green?

5. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

#125 Bronxsta, Dec 19, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
    Okay, I'll admit, this is more fun and involved than I expected. I guess I had a pre-conceived notion of what Match-3 is, that's why I was disappointed to learn that the gameplay was essentially that kind and not more hands on. But now that I've played a few levels, those worries have been swept aside.

To answer Misguided, the gameplay is very frantic. It's nothing but nonstop mayhem and weapon fire and explosions. Actually I think that the fact that you don't control the snake helps to streamline and enhance the gameplay. By removing that factor, it allows you to focus on the core puzzle-like mechanic

While you can't control the snake, that doesn't mean the gameplay is mindless or boring. Far from it. There is strategy involved. What weapons work best against what enemies? When do you want to equip a certain weapon and where do you want to place it along your body? Is it better to have two laser cannons to keep helicopters at bay or one fully upgraded flame thrower to deal with the horde of tanks closing in? And then you have special nodes; I've only encountered one so far and it gave rapid fire enhancement to the two weapons closest to where you place it along the snake's body. So that required some quick decision making to choose where was the best place to set that node.

That's just in gameplay. You also have options outside by choosing what each module does in the armory. Repair drone or rail gun? Minigun or flamethrower? Spreadshot or missile launcher? These various weapons are unlocked with prisms. Credits are used between missions to repair your weapons, reconfigure them, etc. Credit wise, I don't that will be an issue. I played for about ten-fifteen minutes and have over 5 million credits already. But gaining prisms seems a bit more stingy. Only have 1 so far and weapon variants cost 15 prism each. (However I could be mistaken, because the prism cost is to "Unlock now", so it's possible that you can unlock them through normal gameplay.)

Game can be challenging. You can be easily overwhelmed and if you're not actively upgrading your weapons, paying attention to which ones are going to be destroyed, you'll be destroyed quickly, especially during the boss fights. Also the whole nightly news aesthetic is really cool and adds some nice humor and style to the game.

I'll have to play more to better judge the currency situation, but overall I'm pleasantly surprised by how much I'm enjoying Colossatron.

6. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

Sorry, but those two are doing nothing positive for the game.

I have no problem with there being IAP in games, but developers can't seem to figure out the implementation of IAP and game purchase price.

Basically, there is a 98% chance this game will go free before the end of January. I've yet to see a game with IAP launch at a dollar and stay that way, so whether or not that is HB's intention, that's all many can see. I spend way too damn much in the App Store to not consider this when looking at new games.

Beyond that, the game as it is now is a very different game than the initial teasers and press seemed to state. Combine that with the entire tag line of the game, controlling a huge snake, and there's no way to see the end result and not, at the very least, be at least disappointed.

7. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    It definitely looks hectic, but the actual "grab the core and put it where you want" looks a lot less frenzied than, say, Zuma.

8. Bronxsta

Well Zuma's a pure puzzle Match-3, right? It probably does get more frenzied and involved

On the other hand, this game is more action oriented, and uses the general match-3 concept to give the gameplay some cool strategic depth

9. Bronxsta

Here's a better way of thinking about the game. It's not Match-3. It's a tower defense game with Match-3 elements.

A tower defense game where your towers are mobile and you need to upgrade your towers in real time and position them in the best places to deal with the waves of incoming enemies. Like in TD, some weapon types are better against certain enemies and you want to pair up certain weapons and choose when it's best to upgrade them.

10. walmartpolice

walmartpolice Well-Known Member

May 12, 2012
    On occasion, if I notice I have a level one turret or two, or I'm about to finish a stage 2 or three, I'll buy one and I'll repair if one of my major turrets is going down.

My favorite color so far has to be orange. I ended up using some of my prisms for the mini gun because I really like mini guns.

Lastly, I like to cram as many purple cores as I can on to my worm.

I'll be back,

11. o0oJAKEo0o

May 23, 2012
    Full-Time Student
    KCMO
    Thank you for the advice :)

12. walmartpolice

May 12, 2012
    I guess of you're not already, try and keep from haphazardly adding cores to the worm.

In later stages as they go on, level one turrets go down so fast if you don't have unupgraded armor, it's not cool. I actually spent some time in survival mode just now snagging some prisms to do just that.

And I'm still trying to see if I can get a stage four turret, if it even exists.

13. andsoitgoes

It's funny, that couldn't be further from what I, and I think many others, expected from the game. I do appreciate the info, even though it's solidified my decision to not pick it up. It is probably a decent game, maybe even fantastic, for a great many people, though.

14. walmartpolice

May 12, 2012

This guy is talking out of his ass boys. Half Brick don't play around. Sides, with the App Store shut down, HB will have only a few days to decide to do that. I guess if you REALLY wanted, you could wait for free but you'll be waiting till about summer.

Anyways, don't listen to him. He's still stuck on how you can't control the worm.

I'm genuinely curious, I don't think I EVER once thought you could, so is there anyone here who actually owns this surprised you don't?

15. o0oJAKEo0o

May 23, 2012
    Full-Time Student
    KCMO
    Okay being that I am one of the two mentioned, Why did you say this?

16. o0oJAKEo0o

May 23, 2012
    Full-Time Student
    KCMO
    I have to be honest. I did think when they first showed this that I would be controlling Colossatron just as soon as I could.
    But, it wasn't long after that I learned you didn't. After playing the game and reading the comments here, I have tried to come up with a way to control the worm and do all the other stuff at the same time. It would be near impossible. Tilt controls would be the only way.

17. andsoitgoes

No, I'm stuck on the gameplay not being what it was initially proposed. Maybe they changed, or they weren't clear, but come on.

And maybe, just maybe, just maybe it won't drop in price... But then maybe the sun won't come up. The only HB game that hasn't gone free is Fish out of Water which also hasn't been updated since July. And if you read my post completely, I specifically stated that I know it wouldn't magically go free this year, but within a month or two after the store opens, there's an incredibly good chance it will. Like I said, Fish is the only game they haven't dropped to free, but you seem to understand odds and averages better than me.

I also own every HB game, I paid for each and every one that ever had a price on it, including JJ where I was in from the start, but I'm passing on this. There are too many other games out there to spend my money on. But you're free to keep being an ass, you certainly excel at that.

Because of the exasperated attitude for people who were upset, disappointed or otherwise unimpressed with the game. People get to express their opinions on games, and don't need people acting like teenagers and insulting them if their opinions differ.

Discuss all you want, disagree all you want, but do it with some level of maturity.

18. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    They are. In a thread where Halfbrick's being called a greedy developer, there are people defending them and actually persuading people to give this game a try. It worked for Bronxsta and it worked for me.

Also, regarding the "All $.99 games with IAP" thing you said...it seems Telltale Games now have a habit of releasing games at a $5 price-point, only to strip away the price and offer the first episode for free later on. That doesn't stop everyone from running and grabbing the games at launch, right?

19. andsoitgoes

They could do it with respect and maturity. They aren't. Bully for them defending a game, and I don't agree with the people completely crapping on HB, but people have a right to express their opinion and, I hoped as a mod and an adult you'd get this, treat others with respect.

As for my comment, seriously? You take it out of context and compare it to a game that has literally zero consumable IAPs? Am I complaining that I paid $10 for World of Goo which later dropped to a dollar? Or Little Inferno? Or Sword and Sworcery? No. If they all dropped to free, I'd have been completely fine with it. They're awesome, quality games.

But a game full of IAP, regardless of whether people feel it's just for the lazy, priced at a dollar is almost certainly going to drop to free. It plays the same for almost every game. So instead of games launching at free in hopes that the money will be recovered with IAP, they... Forget it. I don't have the energy to try to argue this. I've made my point and it is valid for me and others.

The game is what it is, but it's not what I expected and even though it seems solid in many ways, it doesn't for me.

End of story for me.

20. symmetrian

symmetrian Active Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Just want to chime in and say I'm really enjoying the game. Presentation and replayability are great. It can be difficult, but getting upgrades as you play through helps it along. I don't feel the iap is necessary at this point since you get prisms pretty consistently (use the charge ability and always take out the ? buildings for power ups and prisms).