Universal Colossatron: Massive World Threat - (by Halfbrick Studios)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Dec 18, 2013.

1. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    walmartpolice and o0oJAKEo0o know what they're talking about. Also, people don't seem to realize that with the direction mobile gaming is headed, a $.99 price-tag on a "freemium" game is a good ****ing thing. Why? Because if it were free, you'd have ads in it and even though I love PikPok to death, if they're anything to go by...it's a toss-up as to whether you'd be able to get rid of those ads or not. Ultimately though, people who hate IAPs regardless of...anything...will never buy an IAP to remove ads, so it's a lose-lose situation altogether.

2. walmartpolice

walmartpolice Well-Known Member

May 12, 2012
    So I guess we interpreted the same trailers in different ways then?

Sorry if I'm being aggressive but it's irking me how ridiculous people are in the Forums sometimes.

3. walmartpolice

May 12, 2012
    Nah nah, these guys would rather have a free game with ads with an option to shut off the ads for $1.99.

4. Reading these comments makes me interested in trying this game out. Guess I will try it after I play Shadow Sun some more.

5. walmartpolice

May 12, 2012
    Good.

6. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

Sadly that's the case. A few devs do free to play right (Deadly Bullet, Clumsy and the Stars, Quadropus Rampage, pre-update Beat Leap, The Way Home) but most don't.

What kind of IAP is there? How balanced is the dual currency? Is it grindy or just normal progression?

7. walmartpolice

May 12, 2012
    I'm just saying man, think of EVERY game you've spent 99 cents on and I'll bet you a dollar it's better than 3/4ths of those games.

Shadow Sun is also pretty excellent by the way.

8. Bronxsta

#108 Bronxsta, Dec 19, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
    Making unsubstantiated generalizations doesn't contribute to the discussion here

9. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

Here's an idea: maybe try not being an ass?

You love the game. Yay. Just because you do, it doesn't give you the right to act in such a way towards those of its who are disappointed.

Personally, I held off reading tons about it or watching videos, as I didn't want to spoil the experience.

But when the description specifically says "Take control of a giant robotic snake..." One would expect that they also get to control it.

No studios should expect people will watch their gameplay videos or follow their blogs, that's not how to sell games.

10. o0oJAKEo0o

o0oJAKEo0o Well-Known Member

May 23, 2012
    Full-Time Student
    KCMO
    Holy Cow!

They made a great fun game that you can play anytime you want for less then a dollar. So, if 99¢ is too much for you to shake out of your pocket to support a company that makes awesome games. then I just have to ask:
    Why JCho133 why. Y u so greedy

Honestly, this is a great game. I wish people would play the game before complaining about the iap. Then you would see it is not needed and only takes the fun out of the game, or I think it would anyways I haven't bought any myself.

11. Diaboliq

Diaboliq Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2013
    Ouch ios 7? Oh we'll, they don't get my money

12. Bronxsta

#112 Bronxsta, Dec 19, 2013
    Slayin? Mini Dash? Beat Hazard? QWOP? 14px? Vector? Worm Run? Icycle?

Okay, back to the thread discussion, while the recent comments definitely seem more positive, I'll probably wait for more impressions

13. Shadow Sun is da bomb, keeping me busy tonight. But tomorrow I will remember this post and see if it passes this 3/4ths criteria.

14. Bronxsta

What kind of IAP is it? How balanced is the dual currency model?

15. walmartpolice

May 12, 2012
    Not talking to you man but I'll humor you since we're playing "my opinion is better than yours".
    Slaying would be just as good, dunno what mini dash is, Beat Hazard sucks, qwop sucks, dunno what vector is and worm run was free when I got it and I think it still is.

But the currency.
    You blow up stuff in game. Get money.
    You use this money to power yourself up between stages but not much else.
    In game, usually once a level, you'll get a prism and you use these to upgrade parts and make yourself stronger, etc.

Now in the final stage, if you've been matching well enough, when you beat it, you'll also receive prisms for stage two and stage three matches.

I have yet to hit a point in game that I can't pass because I didn't upgrade collosatron.
    If there was a problem with the game, it's that I'm plowing through it.

16. walmartpolice

May 12, 2012
    I really do apologize if I'm sounding hyper aggressive here.

In man avid defender chronicles player.
    Now that's a classic case of "oh it's too hard, it has IAP that helps you in game, it must be paidmium/freemium"

When it really wasn't. If any one of those detractors actually took the effort to play the game, you'd know it doesn't take a single cent to beat, just a little playtime and learning the mechanics.

Just real bitter because the guy wanted to make a ton of content for the game but became disenchanted due to to the whining amd just gave up. Try that out next time it goes free if you're into TD.

Colossatron is nowhere near as difficult as that game. I'm taking time to post here between beating levels to post my impressions.

I'm on level five. Got a little rough at the end, actually lost for the first time but granted I was literally trying to only make green turrets the whole time.

17. o0oJAKEo0o

o0oJAKEo0o Well-Known Member

May 23, 2012
    Full-Time Student
    KCMO
    #117 o0oJAKEo0o, Dec 19, 2013
    In order to upgrade your different turrets, you have to use the more rare currency. This is picked up in game, sort of like the colored turrets, you place them in your giant snake then at the end of the level/city you get them to spend. I have only played for about 1/2 hour and already upgraded all turrets to level 2 and have a few to spare. Keep in mind though for level 2 turrets the cost is 3 where the cost is only 1 for the level 1. But, trying to get the pieces that award this currency is fun. It does get difficult because as your snake becomes longer and stuff starts moving faster it gets very hectic, FUN though. Forgot to mention: it seems balanced perfect so far...
    As of now I don't see myself buying any iap but, if the game continues to give me enjoyment I might just to support this ,"greedy", I mean GREAT company! I hope this helps.

18. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    A-ha.

No worries. You arent the first. LOL.

19. Echoen

Echoen Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    USA
    #119 Echoen, Dec 19, 2013
    I'd say acquisition is at a good pace. You'll maybe get around 1-2 Prisms in 1 stage if you're paying attention and RNG is on your side. 4 stages per location.

Edit: where do you get prisms? Objects in stages marked with a question mark (?) may give you a prism or special booster segments that may increase rate of fire, a shield, etc. On finishing the last stage, your ship is converted into prisms, typically 2.

Where do you use Prisms?
    - upgrade each segment's armor individually, cost increases with each upgrade
    - 15 to permanently unlock segment types for selection instead of "loaned" for 24 hours for free. Each segment has 3 variations but you can only equip 1 kind at a time. The loaned segment type changes everyday.
    - 5 to reset a page of gadgets (commands/passives for your ship head)
    - convert 1 prism into 10,000,000 cash. Upgrades/repairs/mods in between stages. Minimum of 1M, power up for 15M.

What I think Halfbrick wants players to do is alternate between the campaign and playing survival. If you do that, umlocks and upgrades will come at a good pace with the difficulty.

What i would really love to have is Game Center support instead of Facebook friends for leaderboards.

20. Bronxsta

Okay, you guys convinced me. Downloading now.

But if it goes free in a week, I'm blaming you :p