Universal Colossatron: Massive World Threat - (by Halfbrick Studios)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Dec 18, 2013.

1. h1ryu

h1ryu Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2011
    That's good to know, as there is no tutorial or noticeable information on how to play anywhere it's easy to miss how you actually do play it.

I was tapping all over the screen trying to control the snake at first then when that didn't help I progressed to tilting it like an idiot to see if that worked before finally realising that it just moves on its own.

I guess I had a slightly different idea about what 'Take control of a giant robotic snake' meant than Halfbrick did.

2. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

You don't actually move the snake? My interest is quickly dropping

3. Red1

Red1 Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Nov 26, 2010
    Pre-occupied
    That was my reaction, exactly.

4. putermcgee

putermcgee Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2010
    Seattle
    I didn't really like the previews they had for the game, but I'm still picking this one up. I ran into two guys from HalfBrick a bit before TGS, and I couldn't think of the name of the game to ask them questions about it. Instead, we just talked about Barry.

5. h1ryu

h1ryu Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2011
    No, you can get a power that let's you do a targeted dash to attack after finishing the first city but so far otherwise it just moves itself. Maybe some later powers give you more control but I doubt you'll ever have a satisfying level of control.

6. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Later on you have minor control over the snake's movement. You can tap anywhere to ram it with the snake head. Not sure how liberated i could get controlling him though, as it gets a lot more frantic later on with about 4 parts flying around that you need to place correctly on the snake.

7. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Think of the game as having a lot more to do with the Match-3 genre than any other, and you'll have a better idea of what to expect.

8. Bronxsta

But was the game ever marketed like that? I never once got the impression from the previews and little teaser videos that this was more of Match-3 kind of game.

9. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Not really our fault having the game be advertised like this and give the wrong initial idea:

10. andrew9oh7

andrew9oh7 Member

May 29, 2013
    If you watched any videos on the game you'd know you couldn't control it.

11. putermcgee

putermcgee Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2010
    Seattle
    I think when they first started showing things about the game, my initial thought was that you would control it. But from most of the footage and mechanics they've shown since, I feel like it was pretty clear that it was more of a matching game.

It seems like how Puzzle Fighter is really more about matching the falling blocks to trigger attack animations, This game has some other puzzle mechanic (I keep thinking of Zuma) that triggers the Colossatron's attacks.

12. BryLoW

BryLoW Member

May 25, 2010
    Exactly how I feel. Reading these comments was a massive disappointment. I hate that Halfbrick is choosing to go this route. I was looking forward to playing this but now I just don't care. Fish Out of Water was mediocre at best too. Halfbrick may be losing their edge.

13. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    Exactly. It would be more accurate if the above description said:

"Match colors to unleash destruction on the city with a big ass, self-moving - metal snake." :D

14. Busy playing shadowsun now, but curious for any that have Zuma, which they enjoy better.

15. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

Blasted... Well, one less thing to buy this week I suppose.

My initial though was "man, but HBS makes some of the best games!" And I then realized that outside of JJ, I really didn't care for anything else they've created.

I have enough of a backlog as it is, and presumably this will be free within a few weeks so I can wait.

As for the comments of "had you watched the more recent videos, you'd have seen it wasn't a destroy everything game"... Yeah, no. The entire mentality behind the marketing was very Katamari/GBOD. It was clearly marketed as a "destroy everything known to man in as destructive a way as possible" kind of game, and pretty much every comment has stated that isn't the case. We shouldn't have to watch every gameplay video, or ANY, when it's being touted in a way opposite to what we have.

16. B3NDoX

B3NDoX Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2013
    I bought this so fast because I was so exited... It's worth 99 cents I guess but it's depressingly mediocre.

17. o0oJAKEo0o

o0oJAKEo0o Well-Known Member

May 23, 2012
    Full-Time Student
    KCMO
    Wow! I can't believe some of these responses...

I am really enjoying this game. I did initially think I would be in control of Colossatron but, it made more sense after getting further into the game. I would actually give this game 4-5 stars myself. It is definitely worth 99ยข Don't pass this one up.
    For those that did already buy this and are disappointed and think it is less than mediocre, can you please let us know what games are more then mediocre... How long did you spend playing before you came to this conclusion? Don't read me wrong, I know everyone has different taste in games and it's great that you take the time to share your thoughts. I just wonder if maybe you played longer then me and I am going to be upset when I reach the point you did in the game that made you think "this game sucks".

18. walmartpolice

walmartpolice Well-Known Member

May 12, 2012
    Whoever is whining about the IAP in this game needs to really come off their horse.

This is the kind of IAP that's designed for little kids to beg their moms or "accidentally" buy, definitely not the kind you need to beat.

I've been playing the game for about 3 hours and it's an absolute blast.

19. walmartpolice

walmartpolice Well-Known Member

May 12, 2012
    #99 walmartpolice, Dec 19, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
    And Jesus, the amount of numbskulls groaning about "looking forward to this game" and disappointed that they "can't control the snake" is absolutely mind boggling.
    If you even spent one minute catching a preview or listening to Half Brick talking about the game, you know you couldn't control the snake.

I'm on CITY 3 out of 7 by the way.

The best do far is the almighty, all powerful 9 match. Like you match 3 same color turrets to get a level 2 and you match 3 level 2's to get a level three turret. Can pretty much solo a level by itself.

I'm trying to see if they're are stage four turrets but it's gets super difficult to keep lower level turrets alive after a point.

20. Bronxsta

All I had seen were the short mini trailers so no, I did not know you couldn't control the snake. And really the trailer or screenshots don't give that impression either.