Universal Colossatron: Massive World Threat - (by Halfbrick Studios)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Echoen

Echoen Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    USA
    #41 Echoen, Dec 18, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
    Fully automated (at first, you unlock commands) battle serpentine war machine that plays a bit like a match 3 where 3 of the same color will upgrade that part. Each part does something different like shoot lasers, flamethrower, or send out heal drones.

The item for sale via IAP is also obtainable after destroying objective structures and is used to buff up the armor of your parts or quickly unlock upgrades.

The game leaves figuring out what each part does up to you and what colors can be combined. Overall, it feels like watching live news on the TV of an alien invasion with a semi-casual game tucked in. It does look and sound good. Need to play more to get a better feel.

2. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    ^This

It isn't about you or anyone here pirating, its about pirating in general. Eliminating jailbreakers are what keep developers in business. It's what separates iOS from Android. The vast majority of users are on iOS 7 and developers would be crazy not to take advantage. I do feel bad for people with an iPhone 4 or iPod 4... Just a reminder, iPhone 4 suffers big time from 7.

On topic: This is an instant buy for me.

3. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    The more i play this, the more i am inclined to believe this is a freemium game. I just have a feeling this is dropping to free anytime soon.

Other than that, this game is fantastic though.

Anyone who likes arcade action with a bit of strategy and match 3 should get into this.

Oh and the color combinations are basically the primary color combined to produce the secondary colors:

Blue+Yellow=Green
    Yellow+Red=Orange
    Red+Blue=Purple

4. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    NOOOOOOOO!!!!! :(

I didn't see all that IAP until now...

5. What kinds of iap are there?

6. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Secondary currency.

It can be converted to the primary currency, and it can be used to unlock anything and everything in the game provided you have enough.

Basically, it could be a cheat into the leaderboards.

Another lousy part here is that there isnt any GC integration. It uses Halfbrick's own server for leaderboards tracking which also handles icloud saving.

The gameplay is really fun, but there are things here that pull it down a bit.

7. Echoen

Echoen Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    USA
    Message #37 has a screenshot of the IAP screen. It's just a single consumable that you use to upgrade your armor, unlock parts, and change certain innate aspects of your ship.

You get some by destroying marked structures on the field and after destroying a capital

8. BoneyCork

BoneyCork Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2011
    I've played it for a while and feel this is one of those games where at some point I'm going to fail multiple times and be stuck trying to work out whether it's just because I suck, or because I need to buy some iAP.

Unless I'm missing something it seems like all the weapons only unlock permanently with premium currency, and it doesn't seem to drop for free very often...

9. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

Damn, all the IAP talk is disheartening. I guess I'll wait for the inevitable drop to free and spend my buck on some other true premium game

10. Lazer Kat

Lazer Kat Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2013
    I gave in. I wanted this so bad...
    I Updated to iOS 7
    Now I can't log into the App Store
    :(
    Anyone know how to fix this?

11. kenken11

kenken11 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2012
    Look good and it's like a matching game on a whole new level. Get bored very quickly but nv regret supporting halfbrick with a dollar. .

12. Baracus

Baracus Well-Known Member

You can turn of the animations and the moving gyro background if that is what you mean? Look in the accessibility options in settings and switch on Reduced Motion. I'm sure I read some other tips too, try googling it ;)

13. christopherrocs

christopherrocs Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2013
  14. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

What does this have to be freemium/"paid"-ium? :( Sanuku's gameplay looks so fun and polished, but I'm not supporting a paid game with that kind of IAP implemented

15. BoneyCork

BoneyCork Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2011
    It's not freemium enough to destroy the game. There's no timers or ads. But the premium currency is clearly integral to the game.

I'm more or the opinion that very cheap games like this should have one currency, that you can either grind up or buy more of (like Ski Safari or even Jetpack Joyride).

I think this secondary premium currency belongs exclusively in freemium games.

16. Jazzpha

Jazzpha Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2012
    Doesn't look like there's a purchasable doubler, either.

Oh well, that's a shame. Gameplay looks like a lot of fun, but the implementation looks really skewed balance-wise.

17. Xissoric

Xissoric Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Lol, iOS 7 required...what a joke.

18. Yeah, was going to buy this, but the freemium of this one seems bad, maybe will wait til it converts to freemium.

19. DonnyDJ76

DonnyDJ76 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Male
    Teacher
    Hackensack, NJ
    No Game Center leaderboards or achievements? Adios.

I think many people would love to see a sequel to Jetpack Joyride.