Universal Colossatron: Massive World Threat - (by Halfbrick Studios)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Dec 18, 2013.

1. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    You could probably have applied that effort toward learning more about the game than a tutorial would have offered.

The subtleties in the gameplay manifest more when you are purchasing permanent use of different turrets and are trying to optimize the combination of them, at which point a tutorial would be useless or at least too rudimentary to be worth sitting through. I'm sure plenty of people here have a good two cents to share about their turret choices and the gadgets they prefer to get anyway.

2. Cryozeal

Cryozeal New Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Does anyone know the effective range of the Green Proximity Repair core? Does it repair only the cores beside itself?

Can Rapid Fire upgrade core improve Repair core/ shield core?

Now I'm on Prestige 5 and 80M high score on survival mode City 5, but there are lots of things in this game that are still unclear of how they work. I'm trying to figure them out :D

3. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    I don't really know, because I don't use those cores, but you should be able to tell by which other cores are getting the green regeneration animation. I always get the regeneration gadget, so I can't really test it right now either.

It should improve the repair core, but not the shield core since that's just another power-up rather than a turret.

4. eee5

eee5 New Member

Jun 11, 2014
    hi, just curious does anyone take supercharger? does a 50% movement speed increase really make any difference? Has anyone written a guide about which are the best 'perks' to choose?

5. 7lilwhitewolf7

7lilwhitewolf7 Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Male
    Not hear on earth
    Georgia,Cleveland Ohio,Texas,New York
    I very much like the old icon
    Tryin 2 keep my Godzilla goin on here.
    ThnX

6. squashy

squashy Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2013
    *burp*
    The Garden of Sinners
    Icon looks sorta blurry on my iPad2...

7. squashy

squashy Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2013
    *burp*
    The Garden of Sinners
    If anyone is still here, I have couples of questions :)

1. Which do you guys think are the most useful Red and Blue cores?

2. Any strategies for dealing with tanks and boom trucks?

3. When you prestige, does the army grow stronger and more resilient or are they just increase in number?

4. Is the Black hole generator any good?

8. philodygmn

philodygmn Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2012
    1st off, I couldn't agree more with whitewolf: bring back the roaring Colossatron icon!

eee, I tried Supercharger and found it harder to manage precise swapping on my tiny Touch screen, though if you're hurting it helps get you away faster toward the next area.

Red, it's the Missile Launcher definitely 'cause of its range, decent firing rate, and solid damage. The Reaper was a wash, I thought, 'cause it's low damage and really doesn't withstand much itself, still. Cluster Bombs are slow, inaccurate, and have terrible range to the point they miss half the time as your snake moves along. Spread Shot's super weak.

Blue, definitely Lightning Spire for its range, speed, and that it can stun flying enemies which causes them to crash. It also targets below-ground turrets even while closed, on the pesky military bases. Tractor Beam is kick-ass for aerials but only drags tanks to .0 range with practically no damage so I found it overall counter-productive, though if you can manage it, mixing with Fire Nova could be interesting (see next question). Ice Cannon is super-weak.

Beefy Fire Nova units up-front really help against tank clusters especially if you have Focus Fire and/or Recoil and/or a Rapid Fire power-up. Just, stay on top of using it at every possible opportunity, which can become difficult as things get hectic.

I have heard people say Attack Drones work great for that as well, but the delay while they travel to a given cluster ruined it in my experience.

Both.

I found it helpful for the final 2 levels once it was lvl 3, but unless they are protected with shields, their damage won't outweigh the investment in units, IMO, plus their range is quite limited. That's why Fire Nova wins out for me over it, which also seems to do more damage.

9. icoker

icoker Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2013
    is there a way to earn prisms? Does survival bestow them?

10. forsakenxe

forsakenxe Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2014
    Yup another review late to the patty due to working on finishing up my backlog at some point.

Graphics

A little dated by this point, I would hope for true retina support, texture resolution seem to be a little low but th effects are very nice, the cartoony look suits the game well and bringing carnage looks nice. I would love some zoom options though and even on my air 2 on iOS 10 I've got huge fps problems from time to time through the later levels.

2.5/5

Sound

While the sound is nice overall, it is a little above average but gets dragged down by the repetitiveness of sounds voice and music. There is some variety but the voice files (and events in the game) are very repetitive to the point where I wished that there was an option to turn them sounds are fine but infam missing a certain umpf to some weapons so they remain average. Music was average as well, it was there but it didn't catch my attention.

2.5/5

Gameplay

Well it's ok... for am hour or two? You assemble your Colossatron by combing 3 pieces of a color and then you can combine 3 of those stacked pieces etc. The same is true for mixing red and yellow to Organe and combining 3 orange pieces, you get the deal. Those pieces than get different attacks or abilities. Colossatron moves any itself and your weapons shoot by themselves. You collect money and combine more and more pieces over the course of 5 stages on 7 worlds while starting new on each world.

The thing Is that it gets boring rather quickly. The first few levels where nice but as different weapons for one color can be permanently unlocked only through extra money or excessive grinding ther is not much variety. This basically brought me to the point where I wanted to be done with the game after half the worlds and then slough through the following stages until I thought: finally! Time to delete. Xoxo concept though...

2.4/5

While the concept is cool and I like games where you bring destruction to everyone, I just felt that there was something special misssing: nothing particularly excited me after an hour or so: music and sound never immersed me fully, the voices and cutscenes got annoying very quickly and the gameplay itself wore of waaay to quickly. With no excictmemt nor satisfaction left on the gameplay it became a grind i didn't enjoy.

On the other hand I know that some will and even though it is a very mediocre game at 99 cents it's fine for a bit.

2.5/5

11. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    ^I get that reviews (especially scores) are personal opinions but i would like to point out some things i disagree with.

As far as visuals go, i think the game looks really good with vibrant colors and very nice color separation to be able to identify which parts are where and if there are pickups and pieces around. I remember ZERO instances of slowdowns playing on the ipad air1.

I dont usually play with much sound so i cant comment on that.

Gameplay. This is Zuma with a twist. Instead of a fixed path, the path here moves around, and the semi-auto-combat is a nice addition to Zuma's formula to add a bit of chaos in it. I cant see how you thought that was getting boring rather quickly when it has a lot more chaotic action mixed into Zuma's rather almost zen-like presentation. To add to this, i dont remember any other game fusing mechanics like this at all which makes it unique as well.

12. forsakenxe

forsakenxe Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2014
    Good points!

I think the colors are decent, too but I think it is too in between. On one hand it goes cartoony without fully committing to it (imo) but it try's to keep a somewhat realistic look as well. But it does neither very well and just didn't get any wows from me. It is still totally decent and I did not dislike it, jus nothing more than average for me. Good point about being able to see the parts clearly.

I agree about the fusing mechanics but I just never felt super excited about what I was doing. Maybe a Zuma game is not for me as well? Again, i didn't hate this game, it just never wowed me and felt average and got boring quickly.

Thanks for the criticism. Cheers!

13. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Indeed... Cheers. :)

14. 7lilwhitewolf7

7lilwhitewolf7 Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Male
    Not hear on earth
    Georgia,Cleveland Ohio,Texas,New York
    That Icon m'Lord EP
    #######

15. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    #395 anthony78, Sep 13, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2023
    This just got updated for the first time in 8 years with full screen support! Woo hoo!

Also, there are no longer IAPs.

adin, sebgo and ColeDaddy like this.