Universal Colossatron: Massive World Threat - (by Halfbrick Studios)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Dec 18, 2013.

1. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Probably hacks

2. Birth1118

Birth1118 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    Auditor
    MA, US
    It a myth to me why they would do this. Gamers' pride? But it's cheating. Lower than cheating.

3. squashy

squashy Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2013
    *burp*
    The Garden of Sinners
    "Some men just want to watch the world burn."

...aaaaaand that's why we're all here playing Colossatron :D

4. But, better than stealing.

5. philodygmn

philodygmn Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2012
    #345 philodygmn, Jan 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
    Not I, nihilist: it's probably more like misapplied hacker's pride and contempt for (or idiotic deification of) competition; _I_ play for the mockery of blowhard military warmongering, of civilizations bound by dimensions not of their citizens' individual making, and of lobotomized "journalistic impartiality" capable of compartmentalizing others' destruction into an "objective" newsread with the same banality as daily stock fluctuations or a carefully dispassionately handled "controversial" corporate-political initiative. If you're getting off on destruction for its own sake, I invite you to go outside, and stare in bewilderment at the glowing yellow ball in the sky, directly, for a long, long time. Alternatively, if wives' tales are to be believed, you may prefer less ambitious fare with your leisure time—it would still get you there.

You were just joking? Glad to hear it. Still, a bad joke.

6. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    You haven't seen The Dark Knight have you

7. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    You shouldve just said "Why so serious?" :D

8. philodygmn

Sep 29, 2012
    #348 philodygmn, Jan 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
    What can I say? Allusions to genocide and burning the world turn my stomach, including that they're made jokingly. Especially if they imply that to be a gamer, I would enjoy them and/or others' so doing.

9. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    It was a quote from a movie, and the quote itself did not refer to the world burning, haha

10. philodygmn

Sep 29, 2012
    That's good to hear. It's just my way to say knock it off, without actually telling other people what to do, particularly when I feel them to have spoken for me.

11. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Ohhh I gotcha. And I respect your stance

12. philodygmn

Sep 29, 2012
    I do agree hacking leaderboards is lame, even though I also dislike too much emphasis on competition (on excellence, however, I have no problem...though typically can't perform it all that well, I can at least try to understand and cultivate it).

13. rozetta

rozetta Active Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Anti Virus research
    Helsinki
    The point of leaderboards ceases to exist when they are hacked. Since all leaderboards for iOS games seem to get instantly hacked as they appear, this removes the point of the functionality completely. This, in-turn removes the point of playing survival mode outside of grinding for coins or prisms (which is only mildly better than just continuing with the scenarios anyway).

Developers should learn and not spend resources implementing leaderboard functionality, tbh. I'd prefer an additional game feature instead.

On a completely different note, does anyone know how high the prestige levels go? Last time I was playing this I hit prestige 7 and I read a post from someone on here at prestige 8. Eventually the graphic will complete (presumably at 10, given how it looks at 7). Does it continue to increment once the graphic completes?

14. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    Pretty sure leaderboards in the abstract amount to putting in a single function call if you've implemented GameCenter already. The in-game display is more effort, but certainly nothing in the realm of an actual feature you would care about.

That said, get 150 active GC "friends" and hacking problems go away. I don't bother much to look outside of my friend leaderboards for any game, and that's not just because of the hacking issues, it's just more interesting when you actually recognize the names on the list.

Also, developers *can* purge the top positions of the boards, most just don't bother because they get replaced with other losers in short order. If Apple cared about GC what they would do is have a small team that would investigate reports from developers of obviously spoofed scores (i.e. impossible) and permanently ban the Apple IDs associated with them even if that Apple ID is tied to thousands of dollars of purchases. A handful of well publicized idiots losing access to their iTunes purchases for the "glory" of posting eleventy billion to a leader board would go a great ways to fixing the problem.

15. philodygmn

Sep 29, 2012
    That's what's so weird they rolled their own. I guess they figure on building a captive marketing audience, or something?!

That's another reason people's obsession with them baffles me: aren't your friends typically fun enough competition? People get, just, _obsessed_! While it's true I doubt it detracts much from other features, _faulting_ devs for foregoing it seems ludicrous, to me.

I have to agree; if they're already hand-rejecting apps, hand-rejecting flagrant offenders should be a no-brainer...however, that could conceivably become a slippery slope, though in Apple's hands it's hard to imagine it turning truly sinister.

16. Birth1118

Birth1118 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    Auditor
    MA, US
    Batman? From Alfred if I recall correctly.

17. squashy

Jan 21, 2013
    *burp*
    The Garden of Sinners
    Yeah, I was just refering to hackers simply wanting to piss off legit players, and at the same time making a pun on the "world burning" element of Colossatron. But apparently I was mistaken for a nihilist =))

18. philodygmn

Sep 29, 2012
    Yah, it was the hackers as world burners, there...the sarcasm against them, mockingly identifying us their victims with their own ill intentions, _was_ lost on me because I didn't know the context for that quote. I haven't seen the movie. Way too dark, for me.

I still have to say tossing around the word genocide light-heartedly nauseates me, mostly because I do know gamers who mask violence, bigotry, and worse behind both gaming and a fig leaf of "humor"...we all know people like that, or have witnessed the same type of thing, yeah? Trivializing the word by stretching its definition to mean anytime the victim is attacked rather than referring to the attackers' intention is a really lazy oversimplification that makes tribalist group-think entirely too easy: it's like saying the Earth is out to get us by creating so many storms because of climate destabilization (whatever its cause), it's just so myopic that it becomes dangerously ignorant.

Your comment's having followed on the heels of the other combined with implying players would feel the same way was why I spoke up again. I meant it when I agreed earlier in the thread I find the world destruction theme distasteful. It's the intelligent satire leavening the presentation which won me over. As I said, I rarely play anything resembling violent games...

19. squashy

Jan 21, 2013
    *burp*
    The Garden of Sinners
    How'd you know if the movie is for you or not if you haven't seen it? It's very mature for a superhero movie, if you have any interest in nerdy stuff you should see it.

I DID not mean anything near the level of "genocide" seriousness. Collossatron, or the old Rampage series, or just Japanese mecha vs giant monster Sunday morning superhero shows are for laugh, for some light-hearted sense of cartoonish global mega-crisis. If you come to this thread with such a serious mindset I can only utter:

"Why so serious?"

There, I started with a quote and end with another one. No more derailed Batman reference argument :rolleyes:

20. philodygmn

Sep 29, 2012
    I dislike its subject matter. That doesn't automatically mean I think it can have no artistic merit: maybe its script says something about how unjust the world can be, the way, for instance, Toxic Avengers casts its heroes as pollution's victims. I don't have to be murdered to know I don't want to be, nor watch another's to know I'll regret it.

While I can appreciate moving beyond charicature, the way, say, Beauty and the Beast did with what its cast described as "3-dimensional" human characters who happened to be animated, I definitely do _not_ applaud injecting harshness into animation for its supposed artistic bravery.

Acting like its being fiction alone justifies its content is why. You'll find no more staunch defender of videogame violence than me, however I also detest it, and won't shelter its fans from the consequences of their interest in it: watching violence or listening to violent music doesn't _cause_ crime, however, those of they who engage in such activity incapable of properly maintaining that distinction in their own behavior deserve every bit the punishment as perps who'd never been exposed to it.