Universal Colossatron: Massive World Threat - (by Halfbrick Studios)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Yup... it was basically Jake and Walmartpolice who instantly saw the brilliance in this one.

Like with TA's review, i didnt see that brilliance at first sight. I kept playing, and that's where it openend up.

I still gotta say the game starts out slow, and without a working tutorial you will be left in the dark when starting out.

Once you learn the mechanics and learn a few tricks, you realize more and more that there's lots of fun to be had with this one, and that you'll be spending a lot of time making matches and destroying cities.

2. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I generally prefer AOE weapons.

3. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

I love the spreadshot, with the minigun and rail gun close seconds
    A bunch of spreadshots + focus fire = total devastation

I also like the gadgets really add to the strategy. Especially focus fire. I choose the flame breath as my second gadget

4. Jazzpha

Jazzpha Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2012
    I'd appreciate the ability to trade in cash for prisms, instead of only being able to do prisms to cash... but that's the only minor gripe I have with an otherwise great game. Can't wait until I can permanently unlock some of these weapons and add some even deeper strategy.

5. The lack of control never bothered me one bit. This game thread and cut the rope 2 seemed like flamewars, but they both I thought were good games.

6. philodygmn

philodygmn Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2012
    #306 philodygmn, Dec 25, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2013
    It's funny how there seems to be a lot of crossover amongst masochist, "Premium!", and literalist gamers clamoring for comprehensive, nearly-free, irritatingly difficult twitch-/gore-/narrow-skill-fests, as though any game is illegitimate if it doesn't pimp out controls, if it leaves the player with breathing room of any kind, and fails to disallow deviation from its script's real-time demands. These, to me, are all punishments, not entertainment, and certainly not any fun. For this I am typically ostracized as a wimp by "True Gamers(TM)" whose cannibalization of any title daring to supply less than total fealty to their tenets in fact hamstrings the market even for their favored fare. This coming from someone who unlocked 2 of Super Hexagon's extra modes, who finished Metal Gear: Solid Snake (via Bleemcast, on Dreamcast) with no deaths, whose favorite game is Ōkami (PS2 original only, thanks!) which is the _antithesis_ of free-to-play...

More importantly to me, however, is that they too often employ the argument that casual games are _to blame_ for any deficiencies they perceive in their type of games, on the presumption that forcing the market to their liking magically converts its economies of scale to their preferred gaming incentives, a zero-sum folly precisely the cornerstone of copywrong extremists' jihad against any iota of enjoyment not pre-paid. When I said it's our enjoyment of games we pay for, I meant it in the broadest sense, which, like it or not, includes _paying for the game_! An unfortunate consequence of defending premium games with this line of logic is that the way they define their desired aspects of the gaming experience, these True Gamers(TM) emphasize value _against_ gamers in favor of _the game_, and paradoxically make more game worth less because it's less _enjoyable_, perversely _fueling_ their hysteria over the direction games are headed away from Premium!, when, in fact, _true_ premium _isn't_ those obnoxious aspects of gaming those anti-free have made their rallying cries, and those, like me, whose interest in gaming is driven by creativity are drowned out, making casual gamers _look for_ freemium crap lest it prove to be the kind of mind-sink for which True Gamers(TM) crusade—and _that_ really _is_ what keeps genuinely creative, premium titles down, IMO.

At the risk of an off-topic aside, I see evidence of literal-minded gamers responsible for Ōkami's lack of commercial success: those convinced the prospect of painting with The Celestial Brush demanded a literal painting control like the then-just-released Wiimote completely ignored the details of how imprecise it was and the loss of stately elegant pacing and controlled lines lent by the limitations of a control stick's ruining much of its beauty. To allow this towering achievement to languish in sales because you think you're a TrueGamer(TM) to starve it unless it reflects every scrap of supplanting reality you can find on the market is a contemptible shame the consequences of which may prove quite persistent, because Ōkami was an epitome of RPG-lite adventuring, a major pillar throughout premium gaming's history.

Anyway, I just saw the same attack-dog mentality about to ravage a silly little gem, and once I decided not to listen to their sky-is-falling malcontent, its proving to be every bit as much fun as I'd hoped, and then some, just inspired me to really let loose to be sure people weren't going to let the angry voices of petulant disapproval strangle it in its crib.

7. RangerInfantry

Jul 24, 2013
    I think your last paragraph summed it up pretty well. Not sure about the other ramblings though.

8. philodygmn

Sep 29, 2012
    That's OK. The comment about differing but good games despite flamewars against them reminded me that was another reason I advocated for Colossatron, and I just wanted to explain what about it convinced me to bother, in case anyone else who did happened to share any similar perspective; if not, that's fine. :)

9. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    My scores still won't show on gamecentre, I've checked and checked and checked no im def signed in, I don't get the usual welcome back message either when I load it up, tried signing out and back in and nothing seems to work. I seem to be getting quite a few crashes but I can live with that if my scores register.

is anyone else having this issue?

10. philodygmn

Sep 29, 2012
    Colossatron uses Halfbrick's own system, not Game Center, so you have to create an account with them, and your progress will live there, not on Apple's servers with Game Center. I can't quite imagine why, but there it is.

11. peon2000

peon2000 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    It looks like during a save sync I lost one of my gadgets.
    I have tiers 1-6, but now I have no gadget selected for tier 5.
    I previously had selected the hot swap, but now I only have the option to change my selection using 5 prisms because neither is selected.

Anyone else had this issue and/or know of a fix without having to waste prisms?

12. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    I see a gamecentre leaderboard for Collasatron, there's boards for each city, several of my gamecentre friends are on it.

13. Spinda

Spinda Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2013
    Attack Drones
    Laser
    Missiles
    Prox. Repair

Orange and Blue don't really factor into my strategy. Blue kinda sucks since it distributes damage way too much and Orange has pretty poor range and the Minigun is just a souped up Laser.

14. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    ^I like blue's stuns as they complement the damage the rest of your colors dish out.

15. Spinda

Spinda Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2013
    #315 Spinda, Dec 26, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2013
    Stuns don't really matter when you're hitting 10m+ on Survival 7. Or on high end Prestige Stages.

Cores blow up just as fast. And in earlier stages, everything is so weak that it doesn't matter.

Plus getting Blue forces Orange, which has really horrible range or just a better version of the Laser or splitting into Red and Yellow. And forces you out of Purple or Green, which is where healing comes from, which makes for better survivability.

16. I still don't really understand what I am doing in this game, but I'm still having fun.

17. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Cool thanks for the tip!

18. KiddToKmart

KiddToKmart Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    I just beat the 6th 'world' after much struggle; ended up doing so with a combination of Flame Thrower + Laser Cutter + purple Repair Drones... that too, had to buy a Power Up (15k) before hitting the main city.

Trying to figure out if the Laser Cutter is the best way to go, or should I use the green repair drones + purple rain gun?

19. TotallyImba

TotallyImba Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2010
    United Kingdom
    Can someone explain to me how you get the better weapons? I understand if you connect 3 cores of the same colour you get the next level one but does this keep happening until you get the best weapon in that category?

20. darnoc703

darnoc703 Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2013
    This. Just got this and I am wondering the same thing. Is there other ways to get better weapons?