Universal Colossatron: Massive World Threat - (by Halfbrick Studios)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Dec 18, 2013.

1. jameslavis

jameslavis Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2011
    I haven't done any iap and level 5 in. Did all base armor and just did rail gun. Game totally turned around with that. Saving for next gun, thinking green or orange mini gun

2. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    #222 JCho133, Dec 20, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
    Oh no the credits come in too fast almost haha, but the prisms are a bit slow. The major part is that it keeps slapping prism packs in your face trying to get you to buy them. I like the idea of the trials, and might not permanently unlock anything because that's a cool idea, but there needs to be another healing block so that there can always be one

3. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Except for the fact that it would not have been written ;) , then my guess is... that it still would not have been written, since I'm thinking Halfbrick would not have made it this far (much like I guess there would be far less app developers for the platform in general, perhaps especially the small studios).

What would have been there might have exhibited a drastically elevated level of quality in design, however. At least that's my hopeful (but irrelevant) presumption.

4. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    Just flat out no.

1) Saves you 2.5 million between acts since it makes reconfiguring free
    2) It is hands down the best upgrade I have. Miss a placement, no problem. It makes for as perfect a Colossatron as you can craft right up until the action gets so hectic that neither choice is going to make a difference.

5. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Cool, didn't know it allowed free reconfigs, thanks. Yah after a few runs already I knew I made a bad choice, the random cycling doesn't help much.

6. jameslavis

jameslavis Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2011
    What's your first gun choice?

7. philodygmn

philodygmn Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2012
    Snake Strike works great to target Prism "?" boxes, and provides additional damage potential over Focus Fire—remembering to use it, though, can be a challenge, much less its charge time and finding clear screen-space to trigger it!

I 2nd having another heal (purple's drones hardly count) rather than give up green's Laser Cutter.

Hot Swap offers _far_ greater control than Color Cycle, IMO, because you can swap anything at any time (including what normally costs money from space) whereas you have to wait around until the color you want with Color Cycle, an ill-afforded luxury more often than not.

Advanced yellow gives an impressive showing, but orange's Flame Thrower may be even better as a near-to-mid-range counter-balance to purple's long-range Rail Gun. I still have to experiment more with advanced red, too...

Advanced blue with Lightning Spire is amazing as an alternative to purple's Rail Gun and green's Laser Cutter because it's omnidirectional rather than having their narrow path. I may try it with red or yellow as the near-to-mid, next... Thing about secondary colors is it basically doubles your required cores to make...:-/

P.S. Game of the Week! Yay, TA!

8. Spinda

Spinda Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2013
    Finally upgraded all parts and bought one weapon of each except orange to max.

Settled with Missiles, Laser, Proximity Repair, Freeze Cannon and Attack Drones with FF, Regeneration, Superspeed and 25% Damage, (whatever they're called, can't check since I just Prestige'd), Minishields

Well Prestige 2 is definitely tougher, needed to do 2 continues on the Stage 7 Capitol and 1 continue on Stage 7 City 3. The medal gets bigger and bigger too. Prestige 2 adds spikes Prestige 3 adds swords

Also 11m on Survival 7 and 16m on Survival 1 (although last time I played Survival 1 was before I got Prestige 2)

9. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    After having played it to at least the 4th city on 3 different devices (LOL true) it became easier and easier to give this game 5-stars in the appstore.

First of all though, unlike most members, I acknowledge my mistake of doubting the game's IAP structure which may have planted ideas to other users in the forum about the game (as i was one of the first who gave out iitial impressions). I didnt really understand how the turrets and their mechanics worked at first, which led to a lot more frustrations than in succeeding playthroughs.

After a bit more of playing, the game opened up to me and i started to understand the game's mechanics.

Now im having a blast in 2 out of 3 devices i play it in (i restored the ipad mini and gifted it to my mother in law :)).

This game may still not be for everyone though, but the appstore is not without its offerings of options, although i still recommend picking up Colossatron.

Yes, this game does not give you complete freedom to control the wurm, but there are tons of other mechanics going on in the game that will keep you busy and focused as you play along. Color matches, color combos, turret positioning, objective control, upgrades, and best of all, tons of fun to be had.

That said, there are a couple titles i'd like to mention here that may serve those who dont like the auto-movement of the wurm better.

First is the fantastic Anomaly titles. Here, you control the path of your "snake" more than you do in Colossatron, BUT, being a more strategy focused game, it has a slower pace than the frantic arcade action pacing (which is more likely to be the type that brings out more fun) of Colossatron.

The other game that i had to pick up again after playing Colossatron a bit, is Shellrazer. Here, the arcade action pacing is definitely present, and, like Colossatron, you dont have complete control to your "ride's" movement. What this offers though, is complete control over you turrets and how you set up your loadup RPG style.

Having mentioned these 2 games, Colossatron may have similarities to them, but each one of these titles are a class of their own, each deserving their own 5 stars for being great games with fantastic mechanics, and each one sporting very friendly pay models.

So yeah, there you go. My 5-stars, my recommendation... This game gets both.

10. Geoffers

Geoffers New Member

Dec 20, 2013
    Has anyone else been able to get a full set of six lvl 3 segments? I managed to for the first time just now, on the last stage in japan. Kicks some serious ass.

11. philodygmn

Sep 29, 2012
    Of what units, and with what equipped?

12. Spinda

Spinda Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2013
    #232 Spinda, Dec 21, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2013

My usual load out before I can't properly place anything anymore is Missiles 3, Prox Repair 3, Laser 3, Laser 3, A.Drone 3 A.Drone 3 Missiles 3

So yeah. Probably could go for 8 L3's but I scatter Prox.Repair 1's between Segments.

Unless you're talking about all 6 colors, then no I haven't. Can't be bothered to make Orange 3 or Blue 3 since I'd rather make Purple 3 Yellow 3 or Prox 1's and Red 3 instead.

13. Geoffers

Geoffers New Member

Dec 20, 2013
    Yeah I'm talking about all six colours. It's probably impractical and maybe even detrimental, but it looks sweet having a line of six buffed up segments in rainbow order.

Colossatron might destroy the world, but at least it's supportive of the LGBT community.

14. philodygmn

Sep 29, 2012
    Hey now, the rainbow is god's gift to all his creatures, even marching death machines!

15. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    I'm loving the green cannon that shoots laser discs

16. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

Favorites so far are the blue lightning gun and the orange minigun

Is it better to spend prisms on armor or weapon unlocks? I want that lightning gun permanently but armor is probably better in the long run

17. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    So far I have armor on every core up to where you need 10 prisms for the next level, and now I'm saving up to unlock at least one mini gun.

18. philodygmn

Sep 29, 2012
    I'm having great success with Flame Thrower and Lightning Spire, plus a few heals here and there.

I go for weapons before bothering with armor, just because it forms up the strategy so much clearer for me I do better because of it than having to accommodate something I really don't want.

19. Geoffers

Geoffers New Member

Dec 20, 2013
    That's a good point. I developed a sort of rhythm with the first group of weapons, and adjusting to the new set took me a few games.

Having said that, I think I'll still wait until I've tried them all before I make a decision on which ones I want to unlock.

20. extreme472000

extreme472000 Well-Known Member

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Anyone know if achievements are confirmed to be coming?