Universal Colossatron: Massive World Threat - (by Halfbrick Studios)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Spinda

Spinda Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2013
    Oh well, and here I was hoping I could indefinitely farm Prisms quickly by just resetting the campaign over and over.

I guess I'll just have to do it the long way.

2. Spinda

Spinda Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2013
    Well it seems Survival 7 has more supply caches, I regularly end up with 2 Prisms from that stage compared to Survival 1.

My loadout is

Missiles
    Whatever the game gives me for Orange
    Lasers
    Proximity Repair
    Whatever the game gives me for Blue
    Attack Drones

Gadgets Focus Fire, Regeneration, Reflective Scales High Calibur, Hot Swap and Mini Shields

Upped Purple and Yellow to max, and nearly done with Green. Probably going for Red next.

Reach around 8M before dying on S7 (9M if I get a Megabomb)

3. Having fun with this, it is pretty well made. Like the cool constant action.

4. EvilDucktator

EvilDucktator 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Sep 28, 2011
    Walt Disney World Cast Member
    Brisbane, Australia
    Wish there was a free trial version. Not sure if this is my cup of tea. I know it's only a buck but still... if I bought every game that had this price it'd add up.

5. PBSNellie

PBSNellie Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Southern CA
    OK, after reading a lot of these comments, I decided to give Colossatron another try. I liked it much better. I wish there was a little more difficulty; for instance, limit the amount of units Colossatron can have at any given time, which forces the user to strategize more. And the possibility to steer Colossatron. But otherwise Im getting into this more..

6. jameslavis

jameslavis Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2011
    What's the first weapon you guys but? Was thinking railgun

7. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    When the colossatron is half off the screen how do you get to it to add units there? Seems I only have a limited amount of places to add more units which definitely impedes strategy.

8. TheClaff

TheClaff Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Senior Producer, Bethesda Game Studios
    Bethesda, Maryland
    How do you tell the health level of your worm between levels so you know if you need to spend money in repair all?

9. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    You can kind of tell just by looking at some of the units, but for the most part you can't. If I need cash, I just go back and do the first stage challenge mode and you can net 8-10mil easily plus a prism. I also tend to repair before each new stage, and sometimes reconfigure if I see some good matches.

10. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    I suspect they're doing much better than your realize. Unless you are buying IAP, they made the same off their sale of JJ to you as they did with FOOW. Ditto here.

These forums tend to get hung up on one particular game they think is the best thing EVAH! from a dev and then criticize every other game from that dev for not being the same thing (Game Developer Story from Kairosoft comes to mind as the poster child for this phenomenon).

It's a $1, for that price, all it has to is entertain you for a few days for 99% of the purchasers to pick up their next title, and that happens to be their business model.

Myself, I've been quite amused with this game. Lots of silly violence, interesting game mechanics, and a lengthy upgrade system. Whatever you want to say, it's a better game than FOOW, which itself was still worth its $1.

11. Geoffers

Geoffers New Member

Dec 20, 2013
    I just made an account here to post this.

I'm having an amazing time with this game. I had the privilege of playings this at PAX Aus and meeting the halfbrick team. That was almost half a year ago and I've been eagerly waiting for its release ever since.

IAPs are balanced. Once you've fully decked out your snake, someone with more IAPs than you or more currency than you isn't going to have an advantage on the leaderboards.

I found a trick where you can combine two primary segments while they're still floating around. Comes in handy quite often.

But once again, great game. Shame the thread got derailed so quickly.

12. TheClaff

TheClaff Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Senior Producer, Bethesda Game Studios
    Bethesda, Maryland
    That goes for so many threads here. It's sad.

13. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

Didn't realize you could do that. Thanks for the tips

14. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    #214 Cilo, Dec 20, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
    Anyone want to share their gadget setup or tips on why certain ones are better than others? It's a bit of a guessing game at this point for me. So far I have:

Focus Fire - figured it would be better for farming prisms
    Regeneration - Hp is always good, especially with the passive armor upgrades, however not sure what percentage the regen works at, and how much. Might be a waste if it is extremely low, but can't tell without a stat screen.
    Supercharger - moving faster through screens has saved me a lot.
    High Caliber - I like playing offensively in most games.
    Color Cycle - makes way more sense than Hot Swap, as you won't get much of a chance to swap power cores in game with all the chaos.

Any thoughts or opinions? I'd like to hear your perfect setup if you have one!

Also my top score so far is 11.7mil on Metronia:D
    My only complaint about this game is what's the deal with Halfbrick wanting to push leaderboards and achieves towards the whole google+ deal? It's really annoying. I wish they would just stick with implementing live leaderboard updates with GameCenter as most of us are already signed into GameCenter. Every other game wants to layer another level of crap on top of what is there already, sign into twitter to tweet, sign into Facebook, sign into your butt ect., ect. k rant over. :p

15. amusing Grace

amusing Grace Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Music, Muse, Magick
    Berlin, Germany
    Uhm.... is there no way to access Game Center headboards from within the app?
    Really lousy design if i have to go to the Game Center app everytime.

Other than that, really enjoying this one in my short playtime

16. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    #216 Cilo, Dec 20, 2013
    Not that I see, unless you quickly tap the GC banner that drops down for a few seconds when loading the app. Other than that, I could not find any way to check out the boards on GameCenter. They do have Google+ circle leaderboards within the app, but seriously I have never, and probably will never use Google+. I don't even have a Facebook account, although that might not be the norm, I know a lot of people are still on Facebook.

17. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Finally gave it a shot and I'm loving it. It's a bit too balanced towards IAPs but oh well. I'm finding purple to be my favorite segment, then green.

18. Well, the thread is coming back, so that is good. This game is more complicated than it looks, so still getting the feel of it, but great fun so far!

19. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

#219 Bronxsta, Dec 20, 2013
    I disagree on the IAP balance. I've played for 2 days and already have over 20 million credits saved up. And if you're talking about prisms and buying new weapons, every day, you're given the opportunity to try a new loadout with different weapons. So you get to try different weapons out and then just save for the ones you like

20. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #220 Ayjona, Dec 20, 2013
    Yes, it seems to me that there is nothing an IAPer could do to gain a tangible advantage over a non-paying player in leaderboard competition. Converting prisms to cash has no use in Survival Challenges, since the player is not given the chance to buy extra powercore segments or power-ups, and there is no need to repair anything since the player starts afresh every new challenge.

So the playing field evens out quickly. Prisms are plentiful enough that upgrading all powercore segments to maximum armour and unlocking all alternate weapons is not out of reach of dedicated players (though probably beyond the reach of the casual). And even for someone who spends all her prisms on powercore durability and has no patience to grind for more, there is just a day's wait (or possibly two) to access alternative trial weapons, should any particular module prove to be superior on a particular survival map/in general.

As a result, leaderboard competition seems to be mostly or all about skill. Once powercores are maxed and all weapons unlocked, there is simply nothing more to do with the IAP currency than to switch gadgets around every now and then. Had leaderboards measured achievements in the campaign (where cash could be used almost indefinitively to purchase new powercores and power-ups between levels), IAP could have thrown off the balance. But then, those leaderboards probably would not have been very competitive to begin with :) Now, the best run in the world with a fully upgraded robo-snake is the best run, and no IAP can bridge that gap in skill or luck.

So, basically, IAP seems to only be useful to progress quicker through the campaign, with absolutely no effect on leaderboard competition once all competing players have fully upgraded Colossamonsters (and prisms to spare for gadget experimentation). Halfbrick seems to have come up with an exceedingly fair IAP model. Accelerated progression up to a cap that can also be reached through play, with real competition taking place between maxed out players, is really how non-cosmetic IAP should be done, if done at all.