Colors! artwork

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by aleceiffel, Mar 7, 2009.

1. aleceiffel

aleceiffel Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2009
    art supply buyer/artist
    Oregon
    #1 aleceiffel, Mar 7, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2009
    If you havent tried this app, you should...
    Its a very simple drawing program with a limited number of tools: paintbrush, line thickness, etc.
    The bonus feature is that it will replay your artwork stroke for stroke in the order you made it!
    They have a website and you can view others work and how they drew it as well. Fantastic program

it is soooo worth the money...
    very fun, simple to use and the stuff people do on it is amazing...
    here are a few of mine....post yours if you have any!!

Attached Files:

2. Adams Immersive

Adams Immersive Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Freelance interactive design and programming
    Ohio
    #2 Adams Immersive, Mar 7, 2009
    Cool--I've been looking for a good drawing app. Thinking of making my own, but finding one is less work :) I like the idea that you can draw something small on the iPhone, and then have it re-rendered at higher res. Very clever.

I look forward to seeing how well it works. Thanks for the heads-up. I'm just about to check out the Lite version (no saving--but you can take a screenshot by pressing Sleep+Home as usual). Link:
    http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=290752347&mt=8

3. aleceiffel

Feb 1, 2009
    art supply buyer/artist
    Oregon
    am i allowed to link their website here?

4. Adams Immersive

Adams Immersive Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Freelance interactive design and programming
    Ohio
    I assume so--you just can't be the developer and pretend to be an outsider, I believe.

I tried it--definitely an interesting app, with the tilt to control width/opacity. Some of the images online were done with stylus (DS) I'm sure, but not all. Responsiveness seems good. I'm considering buying--I just want to browse other drawing apps first.

Nice art by the way--I just realized that you made those!

5. aleceiffel

Feb 1, 2009
    art supply buyer/artist
    Oregon
    #5 aleceiffel, Mar 7, 2009
    thanks!
    ok, well im definitely not a dev! and yes, on the website, an icon will show whether it was done on ds or ipod/phone. a sylus would be nice but you can do alot with your finger..
    i havent exploited the tilt opacity control, havent found a real need for it yet..
    ive tried several other drawing apps, and in my opinion this is the best by far....there is a similar program called Brushes, which just creates more painterly strokes...looks nice, but i havent tried it yet. Let me know if you find anything..

heres the website:

http://colors.collectingsmiles.com/

6. Eney

Eney Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    McDonalds

i have brushes and for the price its not worth it, although the brush strokes look more realistic it doesnt have many features and it is slightly difficult to use. if it gets updates with a few new features it would be better. for now i dont recommend it unless u are confident in your abilities as an artist.

7. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Reminds me of graffiti on facebook. Well, honestly, they all remind me of graffiti on facebook. How hard is it to come up with a decent vector based drawing app which let's you draw circles, squares, opacity, textures, and layers? I'd pay $10-$15 for one. All these skimpy apps are driving me nuts :eek:

8. nightbeaver

nightbeaver Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    i believe i have the all the painting apps on the iPod/phone and i have to say the this one is the best. it may seem simple but if you start to get into brush options that make use of the accelerometer then you can do some awesome brush effects. brushes is probably the second best in my opinion and with the recent updates the program has gotten better.but although the brush options in brushes are very versatile you can still do a whole lot more with options and tools that colors gives you. artist touch comes in third with me because they give you a lot of brushes but not alot options to modify those brushes beside size and opacity. but one thing i like doing is using artist touch and brushes together since you can export and import paintings as photos. so i would use the realistic looking brushes in artists touch and then export the painting to photos and then import it to brushes to clean it up. its a little easier then using colors. i liked idoodle also but you cant do much serious painting with it and the options are very limited.

9. cptlockheed

cptlockheed Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    IT professional since the 80's
    Finland
    Brushes and Colors! really are quite similar... Colors has the cool playback and accelerometer controls (though the controls are a bit difficult to use), but Brushes has a better "feel" for me. Hard to choose between them, OTOH having both is redundant.

There is a vector based app called Sketches, which has good reviews. Got it on a sale but didn't find it useful at all.

10. aleceiffel

Feb 1, 2009
    art supply buyer/artist
    Oregon
    yeah im reluctant to get brushes since it seems so similar to colors....and honestly for the time being colors does almost everything i want....minus the option of a "paintbucket" to do color fills, i think its perfect....unless youre looking for a photoshop clone, this is a great drawing program. you actually have to draw, yes. no textures or help with your circles.
    not only that it works great as a sketch book for studies, no joke. you can do almost any color combination, so it works well for jotting ideas for actual painting.
    i love being able to do a quick sketch at a bus stop.