Universal Coldfire Keep - (by Crescent Moon Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Feb 19, 2014.

1. istara

istara Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2009
    #461 istara, Jul 30, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
    This may sound insane, but I cannot even get off the first level.

Iona in the shop says she has opened the way but there is a wooden door in the southwest and no lever to open it. I get a message about combat the first time I walk down that corridor but that's it. I turn the corner, the door is there, I can't go any further.

I've tried restarting and going through the entire process three times now but without any change.

Also, in my first attempt I had a message about a hidden room. I haven't managed to get that message again with either of my two subsequent games.

EDIT: aha - finally saw the chain after I loaded the game on my iPad and tried playing on there. It's ridiculously dark and indistinct on my iPhone 5 screen.

EDIT2: *stuck in new place - 5a!* I have found three of the gem-colour wheels but not the fourth. Having read the whole of this thread it seems I don't need to find the fourth/unlock the door to find the way to Level 6. But I can't find a staircase to there either. Any clues? Thanks in advance ;)

2. mich

mich New Member

Nov 12, 2014
    Party suggestions

I found Coldfire Keep a few days ago and was hooked immediately. Yes, the user interface is a little rough around the edges, but that old school RPG feeling is just awesome.

I was wondering about the ideal party for this game. I started out with a vanilla party (WRSC), but found the warrior pretty useless, so at around level 4 I restarted with a new party, replacing the warrior with a second caster. This team was strong in the beginning and became unstoppable once I got the stun spell. But I'm still wondering if there are even more powerful parties. I guess 4 casters is impossible because they can't use bows and sometimes the game wants you to shoot a target. Also, having a healer on the team is pretty convenient, even if she doesn't deal too much damage, so a shaman seems like a good idea. But is a rogue strictly necessary? I'm tripping traps all the time with him, it can't be much worse without him? Or are there chests etc in the game that can only be opened by a rogue? If not, I would probably go SSCC or even SCCC - the front row caster may be a challenge though. A tank without armor or shield, with pretty low hit points might die pretty quickly. Any thoughts on this? Has anyone actually tried it?

3. drh1961

drh1961 Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2013
    I found a party of W R C S to be pretty balanced. I'm currently on level 9a and if I pay attention I'm not in much danger in fights.

I agree stun is great.

I don't know if it will get harder. Currently I'm stuck on 9a and don't see a way to get down to the next level.

4. ghi99

ghi99 New Member

Feb 23, 2015
    9a

Yeah I'm hopelessly trapped in level 9a, I can't get through the iron door at the end of the hall with the door that you need the golden key for, I also have a block I don't know what to do with on the same floor, is there something I'm missing?:confused: I looked every where and no one has addressed this, I haven't even gotten to the supposed colored door on that level. PLEASE HELP :(

5. drh1961

Feb 28, 2013

I don't think opening colered doors are required to progress. I Have not played this in a long time and never did get down past 9a. Maybe now with a long time away I'll figure it out. If you ever get it let us know. I will too....

6. Panzer_General

Panzer_General New Member

Mar 25, 2015
    Hello all.

I bought this title about 24 hours ago, and made it down to level 9. I am somewhat stuck, and I am debating if this is due to me not even getting past the yellow door on level 5.

I've run through that level 5 countless of times, but I guess I am missing something beside aligning the yellow gem/color wheels?

I'm running this on my iMac so perhaps there have been some changes. I saw form a search others had this issue, and I heard a statement of some hidden areas new the portal on this level, but I never found anything.

Thanks in advance for any advice here. Not a newbie to RPG or dungeon crawlers at all here, so I'm not sure if I ran into a bug or what.

P.S. My favorite nostalgic game of this type used to be Clouds of Xeen back in the day... I used to skip school just to play that. Those were good times!

7. Panzer_General

Mar 25, 2015
    Ahah! After hours of research, I finally found out the solution. For level 5, seems you have to be psychic and magically know just the right pixel to touch on a couple random walls in a special place just to find some switches. This raises the floor by the mass-portal area.

Ughhhhhh!!! That was a total waste of time. I can understand making a puzzle a bit hard, but that one was ridiculous.

Game-design fail.

8. Panzer_General

Mar 25, 2015
    So, made it down to level 15 lol.

I think it's time to shelve this game for a while. The only door left to open is the Green one, but I'm stumped. Perhaps it is due to not opening the green on level 11, or the blue on level 10.

All I have is a silver key left, and it's good for nothing so again I"m stumped, as it's not like I see any other doors requiring a key at this point. And for some reason there is no colored door for level 14 that I found.

In any case, I'd like to say the game was fun, but I found it more of a grind/chore here than anything. ESPECIALLY since basic things like color/wheels are not even shown on the map, and it REALLY would be nice to show '?' unknown tiles on the map for areas that you know exist but you have not been able to venture there yet.

9. drh1961

Feb 28, 2013
    How did you get past level 9?

I'm still stuck on it...

10. Moniquinin

Moniquinin New Member

Jul 20, 2011
    Hi all. I simply cannot get to level six. I've done EVERYTHING opened the coloured doors, figured out the puzzles - there's just one door I can't open because it requires an iron key which I don't have. This door is past the lever puzzle. I've also killed all the mobs in 5a except for the golem who I locked in a room. Someone please help! Thank you.

11. Moocow

Moocow Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2014
    This game is really meh, nowhere near as good as Legend of Grimrock. TL:DR, just get LoG, it's better in pretty much every way. This game:
    - No map
    - Really slow paced movement
    - Terrible interface, the movement arrows are microscopic. You can't directly equip items, you gotta choose what you wanna wear from a dropdown list... wtf?
    - Combat is really awkward. One of my party members has a cleaver, and is right in front of the enemy, yet it says "enemy is out of range" whenever I try to attack...? Also there's pretty much no indication whether or not your attack even hit the enemy, not even a text popup that says "missed" or whatever, so it's like I'm either swinging at nothing or the attack missed
    - You can't move the moment someone attacks... yup let's just stay in one place while the enemy whacks you and all your weapons are out of range. Can't get any dumber than this

2/5 at the very most for some crisp graphics I guess.

12. Moniquinin

Moniquinin New Member

Jul 20, 2011
    Is this thread abandoned? Can no one help me?