Coding?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by qasim, Sep 21, 2010.

1. qasim

qasim Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2009
    USA
    I am taking a class called Computer Programming, where we learn about Visual Basic and about coding. This is the first time I'm taking a class on computers and I'm finding it very interesting.

Even though we haven't gone too far in this class, I want to learn more about coding. What are coding languages that developers, mostly gaming developers, use? I know developers for the iPhone use Objective C, right? However, that's only compatible with the Mac and I have a PC. My dad won't buy me a Mac because of various reasons haha.

Anyways, I also know of Java. But what is Java used for? I know I sound like a noob, but I'm new to this. I really would like to learn more about Coding applications, mostly games, and learn coding languages.

I also know it will take a lot of time.

Is there anything more advanced than Visual Basic? It seems kind of simple. Please help!! Thanks.

2. qasim

qasim Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2009
    USA
    Cmon.. Can someone please help me? Anyone? Maybe I should post this in the developers section...!

3. The prez 12521

The prez 12521 Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2009
    School
    USA
    Java can make games too (MINECRAFT!)

4. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Post in dev section, most of us don't know.

5. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Get comfortable with what you're learning now. The language seems basic, but you don't jump into Calculus before learning your time tables. Know what you're doing and make sure you understand the concepts. No reason to rush.

6. skyye06

skyye06 Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    student
    Texas
    Like Kamazar said, you need to start small before jumping into anything big. It's not that hard learning simple stuff such as printing a line but once you get to nested loops and parameters, it'll start to confuse you without any help. When you get to Java, go with Eclipse.

The next step that I recommend if you think BASIC is to easy is to check out python. It's a lot simpler than Java since you don't have to type System.out.println just to start a line, you just type print.

One last thing, if your dream is to become a game programmer learn PHP along the way. Very few out of those that try make it big. Learn that and your pretty much set on a job but you won't have to worry about that for a long time.

7. qasim

qasim Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2009
    USA
    Thanks so much for the help guys!!