cocos2d, best bet?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Avizzv92, Jul 18, 2009.

1. Avizzv92

Avizzv92 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2009
    I'm in the process of learning Objective-C via "Programing In Objective-C 2.0" currently reading it for the 2nd time, Everything seems to be going well and I'm learning a lot. Objective-C is the first language I'm thoroughly pursuing... I have a little experience with C++ and VB from classes at my school but not much.

I'm hoping eventually, perhaps this fall, to begin developing Apps for iPhone, and hopefully games. Since I'm learning Obj-C I was hoping for a game engine that would support the language. I recently discovered Cocos2d and heard good things about, so would it be the best game engine (free) that would support Obj-C?

For the sake that I'm just beginning a 2d engine would be easier and the fact that I wouldn't need to learn another language so soon would be nice.

Any input is appreciated, and sorry if you get these sorta questions a lot :p

2. drunknbass

drunknbass Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2008
    Afaik it's the only lower level engine in objc. Edgelib rabbitfactory Torque and I believe oolong are c++ and sio2 is c. Unity is c++ I believe but it doesn't matter because they don't give full source, and you can script in js, or c# on iPhone and also now hook your own code which can be c, objc or c++

3. Avizzv92

Avizzv92 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2009
    I'll taking a more advanced C++ class at my school next year, I'm figuring it'd be good even if I don't go far into at first. I can always use it as a good start if I did want to pursue a more advanced engine.

For now I'm more interested in Obj-C mainly because I only own a Mac, and interested mainly in developing for the Mac/iPhone.

Thanks for the input, I'll have to start looking at cocos2d in greater detail when I'm ready. Want to finish the book I'm on now and then move onto a iPhone SDK book.