iPad Clusterball!

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by NotYou, Oct 24, 2008.

1. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
  2. raps27

raps27 Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2008
  3. ReformatPlanet

ReformatPlanet Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Film Producer
    NJ/NY
    dammit i just bought Virtual Villagers.

4. CloneWars

CloneWars Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Bank Robber
    Atlantic Ocean
    Looks interesting i think i'll wait for some reviews tho before spending the 10 bucks. Or for the price to go down.

5. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    :p I held off on Virtual Villagers because I had a feeling something good was going to be released right afterwards.

6. ReformatPlanet

ReformatPlanet Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Film Producer
    NJ/NY
    I don't know why i even bother buying new games. rRootage is all i'll ever need.

7. mavis

mavis Well-Known Member

Same here, I've been burned enough times to have learned my lesson. The price will likely be slashed within the next week or two, if history is any indicator.

Besides, I'm having fun with Virtual Villagers. :)

8. BlueGenome

BlueGenome Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    I would buy right now if I was certain that the price would remain at $10; since I know this is not going to happen, I will wait till it becomes $1.99.

Developers need to look at the app store and realize what is selling and at what price, that way when they make an app and release it they have an idea of what price people are willing to pay and avoid price drops.

I understand price drops are always necessary at some point but come on, how many of us have purchased a newly released app and the next day its 75% of what we paid. Its getting ridiculous in my opinion.

Then again I can't complain cause "I" being the consumer benefit if I decide to wait for price drops, developers are getting screwed.

9. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    I agree, but I think $9.99 is a good price for it. It looks polished and seems like it has great re-playability. The prices go down because people are getting cheaper and cheaper and constantly complaining abut it. A well made game for $10 is cheap.

Even if I don't buy it, I hope the price won't drop. The constantly lower prices is going to start scaring good devs away.

10. davidovich

davidovich Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    I bought the game, and it's nice. The graphics are the best I've seen actually, very crisp and colorful. I haven't gotten past level one yet, but, I'm still getting used to the speed factor. You steer around and pick up the balls obviously, using your brakes on either side of the screen to control where and how you land, and you must drop them off through the rings to gain time. You can fly through the platforms if you're going too fast, and I've been able to use this to my advantage. Global and national rankings. So far, so good. I'm enjoying it. I'm sure someone else is going to sound off here in a minute to add more input.

11. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    Just bought it a minute ago. I'll post my thoughts soon.

12. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member

Apr 19, 2008
    It's not bad.

I kinda see why they called it "Arcade". It looks like you start from Level 1 each time. There's no save progression. I've made it to level 3. It's fun, and certainly has pretty good feel to it and is a type of racer we don't have on the iPhone.

Collect balls and score through hoops. It's a single player game. You aren't competing against anyone.

There is a global high score list, but I don't see any other names (or even my own) on it.

arn

13. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    Totally worth it.

It's definitely challenging. Don' let the 10 level thing worry you. I doubt I'll even make it that far.

The thing that threw me at first is the controls. It doesn't handle like a plane. You can push it up and down, but it has arcade type controls that level you out easily. The controls felt sluggish at first, but I realized they're not. You just have to turn far. The game makes you almost twist out your chair to maneuver. It's a lot of fun though.

The servers aren't up yet, I don't think. The high scores don't show or upload yet, but they're saved for later uploading.

I hope an update has more settings like steering sensitivity.

It's definitely worth the money. I'm going to be hooked on this one.

It also has the most enthusiastic theme song of probably any app store game. Actually, make that any game.

14. polyplay

polyplay Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2008
    Minnesota
    Some quick questions for those who have it:

Is there only one mode - Arcade - or are there others (ones with no time limit, etc.)?

What's the replayability factor? It seems from afar like starting from level one and trying to get as far as you can would get tiring after a while...

That said, it looks fantastic. I've been burned way too many times on $5+ games, though.

15. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member

Apr 19, 2008
    There is only one game mode. and you start from the 1st level.

That being said there's different paths in the level, in that you can choose which paths you go through to try to improve your time and score. Red paths are harder, but have higher scoring balls.

You collect the balls by gliding across those ramps and score them by going through the goal. More balls you have the slower you go. It looks like you just have to read the end to pass the level. not sure if there's a score requirement.

I'd prefer to be able to pick from any level. I do think that would better keep my interest, so if I had favorite levels, it would be better to go to them directly. Still early though, still getting used to it.

arn

16. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    There's only one mode.

Re-playability seems great. The game is very challenging. If you're like me that'll keep you coming back. The goals always seem just out of reach. There are multiple paths to take too, so there seems to be a lot of strategy and exploring involved. It's worth the money. If you're not sure, I'd wait for an update. It's great now, but I bet an update will bring more modes, etc.. the release date seemed rushed, so I bet they'll keep improving it.

17. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    arn beat me to it apparently.

18. Is this kinda like Star Wars Episode 1 Racer? I liked that game quite a bit. I don't have $10 though. Gonna have to wait for lower price.

19. polyplay

polyplay Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2008
    Minnesota
    @ arn & notyou

Thanks for the responses.

I'll wait for the TA review, but I think I'm going to follow notyou's advices and wait for an update or a price drop.

20. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    I just found something awesome in the game. There are "ghost" planes. You can download other people's races and watch their ship flying with yours. You can do it with your own races, but it's much more interesting watching other people. So, for instance, if you want to see how someone in the leader boards got their high score, you can actually watch them play their high scoring game (as long as you can keep up with them, that is).

I'm getting more and more hooked on this game. I hope an update lets us pick tracks or have more or customizable ships. It's still awesome though.