iPad clusterball worth it now?

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeterM11, Oct 30, 2008.

1. PeterM11

PeterM11 Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2008
    East Coast, USA
    hey ok here's the deal!
    I think clusterball looks xcool and I just added some cash to my account.
    So I'm putting the fate of my 10$ in your hands!
    Is it worth it??? Any ups and downs would be appreciated!

2. dlogik

dlogik Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2008
    I've been on the fence with this one too. Two things really.

My biggest concern right now is buying "too many" games that I don't play the ones I buy enough because half the time I'm playing the ones that were free (either always free or limited time free).

My other hold up is waiting for Low Grav Racer (I think touchArcade had a preview up some time ago) to come out. It looks super polished and the next best thing to having a genuine Wipeout game on your iPhone.

Having said that, I was super impressed that the developers of Clusterball managed to turn around and fix some of the issues that plagued the initial release within a week. That, in itself, almost makes me feel comfortable forking out the $10 for Clusterball.

I say if you're looking for a Wipeout sim with a twist, snag it at $10 and enjoy the ride, especially with a developer listening to their customers.

3. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member

Apr 19, 2008
    I said in the comment thread for the review. There's a $10 game in there, but I don't think it's there yet. If I could play any level again, I think it would be worth it . As it is now, I don't really get too excited to play it again since I have to start from level one.

arn

4. Oliver

Oliver Well-Known Member

There is this one and only thing which keeps me away from playing it: "on rails".

5. polyplay

polyplay Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2008
    Minnesota

Totally agree. When the game was first announced, the accompanying video and the information I could find about the computer version suggested a more "freeform" type of gameplay.

It looks like a highly polished game and it comes from a clearly talented developer, but arn says it best: there's a $10 game in there, but I don't think it's there yet.

6. Aeroflux

Aeroflux Active Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Yeah, there definitely is potential in this game, but the gameplay itself is castrated. Go download the original Clusterball to get an idea of what it should have been.

While the patch fixed the memory errors, the gameplay issues still hamper the potential of this game. I would wait until they add better gameplay modes, unless you like rail shooters and prefer to start from the first level every time you play.

It's gotta look real bad for Resolution Interactive when a dev releases Scifly a week later--a game that allows complete freedom in flight and even offers AI opponents. The only difference is in the graphic detail and the presence of strips w/orbs, and a score gate.

7. Wegmans

Wegmans Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Finance
    MD, USA
    This game is so fantastic.. What people don't realize is that you're not stuck on the ramps/rails, you can fly all over the place if you want! The ramps are just how you get points, which translates into extra time... There are several different strategies, from picking up time tokens to grabbing as many points as possible..

In the end, time is against you.

Here are some tips, (I feel like I can give out tips because currently i'm ranked #2!)

1) Pause the game by hitting the Home icon right above the clock..took me a while to realize i could pause the game!

2) Picking up balls makes your plane slower... This sounds like a bad thing, but really you can use it to your advantage because the slower your plane goes, the easier it is to pick up the balls on the red ramps!

3) Grab those time tokens, but keep in mind they go from 1 2 3 4 5 where 5 is displayed for the shortest amount of time. You can time the pickup by slowing down before you get to it!

4) Make sure you get all the balls on the ramp for an extra bonus of points and time

5) Definitely use the brakes, they're necessary to stick to some of the harder twistier ramps!

Hope this helps! Clusterball is definitely worth it!!!

8. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    does it have shooting like the pc version or is it clean?

9. Wegmans

Oct 31, 2008
    Finance
    MD, USA
    There is no shooting like on the PC version.. It's just a race against time and the leaderboards

10. STP_Steve

STP_Steve Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Editor of slidetoplay.com
    San Francisco, CA
    Nope, it's not worth it. There are a lot of rough edges, particularly with level design, game structure, hit detection.

11. pablo19

pablo19 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2008
    clusterball worth it now?

I'm not sure about buying it, I really liked scifly. Is the gameplay worth 4.99? do you keep coming back to it?
    did they update it?

p.s: I bought fieldrunners a while ago and i'm lovin it.:D

12. pablo19

Oct 26, 2008
    ???

anybody?:confused:

13. tunawrap

tunawrap Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2008
    OH yeah, worth five bucks. its a bit hard though, but i dont regret the purchase.

14. mrsteveman1

mrsteveman1 Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2008
  15. salsamd

salsamd Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 1, 2008
    San Francisco, CA
  16. Wegmans

Oct 31, 2008
    Finance
    MD, USA
    For me, it was worth it at $9.99...

i play it probably once a day, at least, just as much as Fieldrunners... it would be great if they had an update, but it's unlikely.. it's fun to just wander around the first levels once you get the hang of it, and try to find the best routes.... you can freely wander around, but in order to get points, you have to go back to the paths sometimes..

hope that helps... i don't think you'll regret it for $4.99, it's high quality so you won't feel ripped off, but clearly the re-playability may change per person..

17. mrsteveman1

Nov 20, 2008
    Could you expand on what you mean? Are you saying they are lowering the price and abandoning the game? Or just that they don't plan on significantly changing the way the game is played other than minor fixes?

18. mrsteveman1

Nov 20, 2008
    Someone left a review on the app store saying 2.2 broke clusterball, anyone confirm that?

19. Wegmans

Oct 31, 2008
    Finance
    MD, USA
    #19 Wegmans, Nov 22, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2008
    Clusterball update is out!!! downloading now, says its got a new soundtrack and bug fixes

New music is OK, i think they added some sound effects but i can't remember because i usually have it muted. It seems to have fixed a rare hangup...

it DID however erase my saved game, which makes sense now i think about it, but i'm pissed because it was on the last level and was going to be a high score for me (+77k which is my personal best)

Still the same game though, so not as big of an update as i was hoping... to confirm, 2.2 does not 'break' Clusterball.... it's worth it!

20. pablo19

Oct 26, 2008
    thanks, i'll porbalby get it when my ipod has finished restoring (darn update :mad:)