Universal Clickie Zoo (by Anthony Tirone)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Fudds, Jan 31, 2017.

1. HaraKiri82

HaraKiri82 Active Member

Jan 30, 2017
    So you do you recommend using the permanent upgrades over the boosts? They seem really small in comparison, but I suppose since you keep it the rest of the game it probably is worth it

2. Fudds

Fudds Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2017
    So the permanent upgrades absolutely do beat the boosts in the long run. Ones like the mating boosts are harder to quantify but don't forget it spans over every zoo you sell as well

3. HaraKiri82

HaraKiri82 Active Member

Jan 30, 2017
    Also, I noticed the birth and death rate increase as the population of the animal grows. Does that mean it's not good to keep a large number of a specific animal?

4. Fudds

Fudds Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2017
    So there's definitely an optimum number of animals to keep in order to keep the birth rate high enough but allowing yourself to sell enough of the animal. It's really up to the player though, for most it's more convenient to have extra animals to ensure you never run into the problem where you've decreased the birth rate so much that is actually affects the rate of growth. Plus having extra of an animal means you'll be ready if that species appears in the trade post

5. HaraKiri82

HaraKiri82 Active Member

Jan 30, 2017
    That makes sense, thank you!

6. MityZepellin

MityZepellin Member

Jan 31, 2017
    I noticed everytime I get 25 of an improvement, a comment comes up. Is there another benefit to hitting these milestones, or just dialogue?

7. Fudds

Fudds Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2017
    I had considered giving small bonuses for each milestone but no, it's just dialogue changes. It's just a little something I added towards the end of development

8. MityZepellin

MityZepellin Member

Jan 31, 2017
    I think if you didn't something like making the total benefit from that specific improvement worth 10% more or something. A small bump per 25 or similar

9. Fudds

Fudds Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2017
    I had considered that as well. Since the standard zoo improvements eventually become not worth purchasing when you get close to 100, I thought it may be good to almost double the benefit it gives you after that

10. MityZepellin

MityZepellin Member

Jan 31, 2017
    Yes, it could be something similar to cookie clicker, where the value of that improvement gets multiplied. But instead of x3, make it closer to x2 so it isn't so extreme

11. HaraKiri82

HaraKiri82 Active Member

Jan 30, 2017
    How many animals are there in the game?

12. frisbee10461

frisbee10461 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2012
    Cheater + Great Game

Hello all! frisbee10461 here!

OK, you have to give the dev mad props. If you use the time cheat, your UI will have the word CHEATER as a watermark. That is very, very cool.

I downloaded this yesterday when the Pats were down 21-3. I played it until they began their tremendous come back.

I've played quite a few of these types of games, and most of them get boring after a while. This one has a lot of depth to it and uniqueness. I like it so far.

A few suggestions:

1. A guide for the Zoo animals. I should know how many animals will make up my zoo.

2. The Prestige element [one I hate] does not seem to be fair. You have to play a long time to prestige, it seems. I may change my mind on this, but this is how I feel so far.

3. I'd love to get a visual of my zoo. Just a thought for the devs. How coo, woulf it be to build this zoo and actually see it along with the people, kind of like in Disco Zoo.

Keep up the great work.

Thanks,

frisbee10461

13. Fudds

Fudds Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2017
    Thanks for the useful feedback.

1. What exactly were you thinking for an animal guide? I kind of liked the idea of not knowing which animal was coming next to leave you wanting to find out.

2. I agree, the prestige mechanic isn't perfect and I intended on adding one more benefit for selling the zoo, that was going to be a rare animal each time but I never got to it. It can still use some more tuning for sure

3. I've been asked about more visuals, I would love to, but it sounds like that may be more of a Clickie Zoo 2 thing rather than an update. That's a whole lot more art. Since this was my first game ever I worked on learning a lot of code and such so I wanted something that wasn't too daunting as far as artwork went

Glad you enjoyed my anti cheat mechanic haha

14. frisbee10461

frisbee10461 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2012
    #34 frisbee10461, Feb 6, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
    Responses

"1. What exactly were you thinking for an animal guide? I kind of liked the idea of not knowing which animal was coming next to leave you wanting to find out."

I disagree here. It's good to have this guide available, even as a Wiki page. This can include the animal manes, cost to purchase them, and so on.

"2. I agree, the prestige mechanic isn't perfect and I intended on adding one more benefit for selling the zoo, that was going to be a rare animal each time but I never got to it. It can still use some more tuning for sure."

I have an even better idea - ditch the prestige system. If the game is good, why prestige? I hate the idea of having to rebuild my zoo again and again, just to get a bonus.

3. I've been asked about more visuals, I would love to, but it sounds like that may be more of a Clickie Zoo 2 thing rather than an update. That's a whole lot more art. Since this was my first game ever I worked on learning a lot of code and such so I wanted something that wasn't too daunting as far as artwork went.

Clickie Zoo 2. I like it. Feel free to include frisbee10461 as the person who inspired you to create this new game. A nod in the credits will be great.

P.S. I read that this is your first game. If so, congrats on a very good game, and one that is intriguing. That's not easy today, as many of these idle clicker games are boring.

15. Fudds

Fudds Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2017
    Ah yes, a wiki would help, there's been a couple people asking if there's a resource and all I can point them to is myself or the subreddit I made. I also didn't find TouchArcade until recently sadly

As much as the prestige mechanic isn't perfect I'm not sure if I should ditch it. While some people are content with playing through the game once and calling it quits, there's the select few that want to exhaust the game for everything it has. This gives it a bit more longevity, even if it isn't super high quality content. I think it could be a better addition if I include more content in regards to it though. It was built to be something you can do later in the game and being completely optional. It does provide you with something much much later though, but that's a cool secret!

I'll be sure to have you beta test if I ever make a sequel!

16. HaraKiri82

HaraKiri82 Active Member

Jan 30, 2017
    I totally understand on the visuals. As with most incremental games, the visuals isn't what's most important. I'm just happy the UI makes sense and is super quick, which isn't always easy on mobile games I'm sure.

The prestige mechanic is actually pretty good. I like that you focus on awarding just the secondary currency. It really makes it so you don't ever have to make any purchases with real cash if you don't want to. It's almost like selling your zoo is earning you what real cash would. It would be cool to add the rare animals you're talking about though!

17. Fudds

Fudds Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2017
    One of things I wanted to make sure of in this game is that there were only two forms of currency, to keep it as simple as possible. This way you know exactly what your reward will get you. I wanted you to eventually be able to earn the upgrades in the game through gameplay

18. MityZepellin

MityZepellin Member

Jan 31, 2017
    Yes, now that I am quite a ways through, I can make a zoo and sell it a couple days later at the minimum value. So now I'm essentially producing enough gems to not have to worry about spending them on boosts and such

19. HaraKiri82

HaraKiri82 Active Member

Jan 30, 2017
    There's actually an animal that provides a constant flow of gems, but that's way down the road

20. lucidwalker

lucidwalker Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2015
    I found it. It is very hungry. #