iPad Clearing up the Papi Lander questions.

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Armbruster, Oct 21, 2008.

1. Armbruster

Armbruster Well-Known Member

This app is SAMPLE CODE (made by Apple) called 'Crash Landing', and all they did was change the images (easy as copy-and-pasting), and upload it to the App store. How they were able to get it past the review process with using Apple's code and selling it is questionable.

It's not endorsed by Sunflat Games, Inc.

FingerGaming.com recently posted an article saying it shared the same UI Interfaces as 'Crash Landing', and that it shares the same feel, BECAUSE IT'S THE SAME CODE, available here: http://developer.apple.com/iphone/library/samplecode/CrashLanding/index.html. They didn't code one line of text in the entire app, just opened up Microsoft Paint and re-saved the images, named it, and put it in the store.

Hopefully Apple deletes this copyright infringing game, but until then, please: send a hard-written email to aanthony113@yahoo.com, the creator of this app. They need to take it down.

Armbruster

2. BATTLE BORN

BATTLE BORN Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2008
    Las Vegas, NV
    hate-mail sent.

3. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    I call Shenanigans!

I noticed it was BS when I saw papi wasn't red... This will bring up some serious copyright infringement to the table, the question is, does sun flat have papi trade marked? if not then this is legit...

4. Slappy

Slappy New Member

Sep 4, 2008
    isnt that plagiarism

5. sirisaacx

sirisaacx Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2008
    I just sent my hate mail. That infuriates me. :/

6. BlueGenome

BlueGenome Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    I sent my hate mail as well, with a small attachment. lol

7. jlake02

jlake02 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Manager
    Los Angeles
    Ouch :/ That's not cool.

8. sirisaacx

sirisaacx Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2008
    #8 sirisaacx, Oct 22, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
    I just checked the app store and there's a review up I can only assume has been posted by the dev.

McAppp321
    "The Latest Installment of the papi Series is excellent! Keep up the good work guys!"

EDIT: I just checked his post history. Almost all of his reviews are either 5 star reviews for AAAplications apps or Advertisements for AAAplication apps in other app reviews.

9. matt

matt Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2008
    Blogger/Student/Public Relations
    Collins,GA
    If I had enough time I would start an online petition *hint* *hint* and use the power of DIGG.

This should help us out,

http://www.petitiononline.com/

10. Dimsum

Dimsum Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Why don't you contact Sunflat or Apple - wont they both be in a better position to deal with this? I doubt hate mail will have any effect given the nature of what he has done.

11. dudehuge

dudehuge Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2008
    Arm is a hate mongering beast :)

12. Armbruster

Papi is my home-boy.

As Lil' Wayne one said: "Don't mess with a mothas homies, ya get fixed back, G!".

13. Little White Bear Studios

Little White Bear Studios Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2008
    Ah yes, AAAplications. I believe the guy who runs this is a teenager, based on past forum posts I've read of his. He's rude when he doesn't get what he wants, and he's known for fake positive reviews for his own apps, and fake negative reviews of anyone in his category that is ranked higher than he is. Luckily he can't do that much anymore with the new policies. He's been banned several times from a developer forum for asking people for code, and then using that goodwill to release apps based on the code, without writing a lick of code himself. He's made quite a bit of money off his "touch the screen to play a sound" apps, which is the sample code he begged for off the other forum. I know for a fact that he knows absolutely nothing about programming, other than putting images and buttons in Interface Builder.

As for the swiping of Apple's code, Apple will do nothing. The recent jigsaw puzzle game was entirely based on the sample code too, and Apple even featured that one, and it went into the top 25. So no, Apple will do nothing, and is oblivious enough to even support it.

The Papi people need to stomp on him, and take away all the money he made with his RubberDuck app a month or two ago.

14. tunawrap

tunawrap Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2008
    AAAplications makes terrible apps. They should be called craplications. Mr. Papi rules and this is a PATHETIC attempt at copying a great game series! Hate mail being sent!!!

15. Galaxius

Galaxius Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    He's also calling the guy *papi instead. Kind of obnoxious if you ask me. I also looked at a couple of "Mr" names doing reviews. 5 stars for everything (including a $5 cowbell app?!?!) for AAApplications stuff and 1-3 for everything else. Something is screwed up somewhere.

16. Has anyone written to Sunflat yet? I think we need to make sure Sunflat are aware if they are not already.

17. Armbruster

18. I have sent an email which reads-

"Hello
    There are a number of us on the Touch Arcade forum who love your Papi games. However, I am writing to you to find out if you are aware of an impersonator in the app store.
    AAApplications have released "PapiLander" (here is the iTunes link- http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=293670144&mt=8 )

(also included a picture of the offending app)

Here (link) is the link to the thread on the Touch Arcade forum. We are wondering if there is something you can do about this as AAApplications are clearly ripping off your character and name to make sales on your excellent reputation. I would like to welcome you to either reply to this email or post a comment on the thread if possible.

Thank you. Best regards,"

19. Armbruster

Very good.

20. #20 wastedyuthe, Oct 22, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
    I have had a response from Sunflat-

"Hello.
    Thank you for the report.

Wow, that is unofficial use of our Papi character."

[EDIT] Has anyone else noticed- I have tried to click "*PapiLander support" in the iTunes app page, and it just takes you to Google! Perhaps he's had enough of the hate mail.