iPad Claustrophobia - new App Store Game!

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by DavidLeblond, Dec 29, 2008.

1. DavidLeblond

DavidLeblond Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Hey guys, my very first game (although my 4th app) was just posted yesterday in the App Store. Take a peek and let me know what you think! I already have ideas for new versions down the road, but if you have anything you want me to add let me know!

Click here to go to it's App Store page!

2. Carlos-Sz

Carlos-Sz Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    #2 Carlos-Sz, Dec 29, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2008
    For coincidence I was reading about your new game and I've even visited your home page looking for more information.

As I use to write, a lite version is always welcome but you could make at least a video to show the gameplay in action.

I have an idea of the game but I didn't fully understand the gameplay.

////Edited: video added by developer:

3. DavidLeblond

Dec 29, 2008
    Hmm I'll try to make a gameplay video tonight. Yeah, I'm good at programming but I'm horrible at explaining things. Think of it sort of like SameGame, except instead of touching the colors to remove them you have to throw a randomly colored block at them. I'll work on a video tonight though.

4. istopmotion

istopmotion Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    I agree - I want to see exactly how the game works before I buy it. A video would be much appreciated. :)

The game looks pretty interesting.

5. DavidLeblond

Dec 29, 2008
    Doing a video while playing isn't easy, so forgive me for the quality... but hopefully with this you get a sense of how to play:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jz4ueHKq01o

I also put it on the game's website.

6. GreenLightJerky

GreenLightJerky Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2008
    Senior support engineer, jerky guru
    California
    Is the music in that video in game music or just a sound track for the video?
    Looks pretty sweet.

7. DavidLeblond

Dec 29, 2008
    Game music (the headphone jack is actually jacked directly into the camera, or else the video would have been made EVEN BETTER by my clearing my throat and yelling at the cat.)

8. GreenLightJerky

GreenLightJerky Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2008
    Senior support engineer, jerky guru
    California
    I dig the sound track. Did you make that?

9. DavidLeblond

Dec 29, 2008
    Sure did! I didn't actually play any instrument or anything though, that whole song is made up of Apple loops that come with Garageband.

10. QuickWit

QuickWit Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2008
    Video Writer, Director, Producer
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Picked the game up and I really like it... It's a fun pick up and play game and I can see that there is some pretty good strategy that will come into play as I fool around with it a bit more.

All in all a nice effort. I might have to go and amend my 50 top games of '08 list... granted I'm not saying that it's near the top, but I think it can easily fit there. And the $1 price is always nice.

Thanks for the new look at the genre...

11. DavidLeblond

Dec 29, 2008
    Wow! Thanks! I'd be happy being in anyone's top 1000 to tell you the truth!

Hopefully soon I'll get some more features into it that didn't make the cut, like achievements. I'm also starting on my next app, which is another game.

12. Carlos-Sz

Nov 5, 2008
    @ DavidLeblond

First of all, thank you for the video. I saw the gameplay and that was enough to make me purchase it. :)

It's a great pick up and play puzzle. I'm really enjoying it!

Some suggestions:

- Pause: can you also pause the music? Sometimes we need to pause to talk to someone and mute the sound is useful.

- Sound: can you add at least a subtle sound when we shoot a square and when we match them? It's nice to have this kind of feedback from the game. Of course you can always add an option to disable it.

- Option to disable the music: sometimes is just useful (not that the music is not good).

- Colorblind mode: I can play your game comfortably but I'm sure there are a lot of people that would like a colorblind mode, something like different shapes may work better for your game.

13. DavidLeblond

Dec 29, 2008
    Yeah, the sounds (pausing music, sound effects, and turning the music on/off) I have planned. I didn't think about colorblind mode, but that is a good idea. I'll just throw in an extra set of tile graphics.

If anyone doesn't like the music, you guys should know that I've made it so my music won't play if you have the iPod app playing.

14. Carlos-Sz

Nov 5, 2008
    One more thing: please make the game remember the last name entered in the high score so we don't have to type every time.

15. DavidLeblond

Dec 29, 2008
    Hmm might be worth it to make a quick "low hanging fruit" release to tackle the things like the music playing over the pause screen and having to enter your name for high scores each time...

16. DavidLeblond

Dec 29, 2008
    Alright, I threw in saving the last high score, pausing music when the game pauses, and made a few changes to the menus so that it looks a bit more smooth. Next I'll add sound effects, colorblind mode, music on/off, and I may even throw in another song choice.

Any tips on how to get more eyes on this game? I'm greatful for the people who have purchased it, but not many have. :-/ Oh well, at least I have fun playing it!

17. tangerine

tangerine Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I just purchased it and I like it. Good job!

18. DavidLeblond

Dec 29, 2008
    Thank you much!!

19. Carlos-Sz

Nov 5, 2008
    More eyes? I think you should improve the graphics to make the game more appealing. Something as nice and harmonic as Frenzic. High quality graphics and design.

20. Carlos-Sz

Nov 5, 2008
    #20 Carlos-Sz, Jan 7, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
    Here's just a general idea of what I have in mind.

I'm not even say it's better than the current layout right now. The tiles I made are not polished but just to give a suggestion of a colorblind aware.

Finally note that I'm not a designer. Again, it's just a general idea.

My idea vs. current game image:

[​IMG] [​IMG]