Classics

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by don_k, Nov 2, 2008.

1. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    #1 don_k, Nov 2, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2009
  2. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    I love the style of that app. It looks like the page turns are animated.

I still like Stanza, though. Usually I just read actual physical books, but I use Stanza once in a while, mainly if I find something good that I don't already have.
    The interface is nice and you can change the font and colors to make things easier on your eyes. I really like the quality of it. They keep making improvements too.

3. mek

mek Well-Known Member

needs more books
    or the ability to add your own books
    or converted .txt's

i like the concept, but dont really feel the need to spend it on the choice of books offered as of yet, i know more will come

but to add my own books, that would be a selling point for me

it seems that they take the public domain books, and painstakingly convert them to the classics format...maybe that is why they are only offering a couple a week

it would be better if they built the framework, and a desktop convertor so the public could do the work as an open source project, whilst they profit from the sale of the reader, but pull it off as the cost is only to maintain the project

i do like it, but will not buy it yet, one for fear of a price drop, and two, for book selection, and three for the lack of ability for me to convert my own books

4. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
  5. jlake02

jlake02 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Manager
    Los Angeles
    Looks really sharp. I haven't been reading on my iPhone but I'm considering it. Just afraid it'll strain my eyes.

6. Coral

Coral Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    This looks worth it based off it's 4.5 star rating and placement as #12 paid app. I would be more afraid of the price increasing as more books are added than the common price drop.

7. mek

mek Well-Known Member

alright i broke down and bought this

mostly because of the threat made by Coral "I would be more afraid of the price increasing as more books are added than the common price drop."

Blast you Coral, Blast you

worth the money

do want some more books though :)

8. break5

break5 Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2008
    this looks really polished but i don't care because i can't add my own books and that would be the only thing that would make me buy it... as soon as they add that one thing i'll buy it

9. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    If I could download or add books like in Stanza, I'd buy this in a heartbeat.

I'm going to wait and see what books they add next.

10. Chiller ONE

Chiller ONE Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    It looks really great and polished but you can get all those books with stanza for free, so whats the point?

11. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Where can I download all those books? Is it free?

12. Oliver

Oliver Well-Known Member

Love the app. It is very polished, the interface is great and it just makes fun. It gives a strange "haptic" feel, which the other ebook readers are missing.

But I'm a bit afraid that there won't be any updates. Since the dev of Delicious Library is involed and this gets an update every 1.5 years, I expect the app to be finished, with no more books coming, even when they say it.

13. Chiller ONE

Chiller ONE Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    Yes it is free. Download Stanza, open it, then open the online catalog, you should find almost all of the books that come with Classics there, for free.

14. Gregz0r

Gregz0r Well-Known Member

This is cool. You can't go wrong for a dollar, lol.
    People appreciate presentation, and will pay for it, much like the iPhone's OS.
    Sure, [app]Stanza[/app] is free, but where's the pleasure in reading books on that? It's like your reading long emails or something. :D

15. mek

mek Well-Known Member

if this turns out to be the case --- this irks me in so many ways
    and every app that does this, makes me loose faith in the app store...eventually i will stop buying from it

guess we will wait and see

16. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    A Dollar? Isn't it $3?

17. rootbeersoup

rootbeersoup Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    I would never replace real books with reading on my iPod... Maybe an e-reader like the Kindle... But just think of the potential eye damage. eesh

18. powersurge

powersurge Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Pensacola, FL
    Classics is back down to 99 cents again just a heads up.

19. cathy

cathy Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2009
    Classics is now freeee!

20. eggzbacon

eggzbacon Well-Known Member

May 17, 2009
    The Golden State
    What? Wow, I bought it, and its really awesome
    It really stinks that Apple COMPLETELY copied it though