Universal Clash Royale (by Supercell)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by oscar123967, Jan 4, 2016.

1. nodoctors

nodoctors Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2009
    It's the subjective argument over what pay to win is. I see it from your point of view, and many people do agree with that stance. For me, paying to advance faster in a competitive pvp game is a form of pay to win since advancing involves winning. The fact that you hit another wall until you pay again is the entire core of the competitive monetization loop. They wouldn't want you to pay just once to advance a chunk of trophies. They want it to happen as many times as possible by design. And by adding new cards and card levels they have extended this indefinitely. It's genius, really. But I might just be my curmudgeonly old man self being too sensitive. I want my vidya games my way daggummit! /caneshake

2. JMarceLF

JMarceLF Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2010
    CHEF
    California
    I have a quick question I would like to see if anyone can answer, if I buy gems and I'm only at The barbarian level, then will all the cards I buy from chest with gems be only up to the level of the barbarian level or can I randomly pick up cards from later levels?

Royale w Cheese
    Clan: Team Taco

3. nodoctors

nodoctors Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2009
    You can only get cards from the Arena you're in and down. But I've heard that it's possible to get cards from the Arena just above you if you're within 40 trophies or so away from it.

4. Wizard_Mike

Wizard_Mike Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Texas
    When you are looking at the chests in the shop, it tells you what level chest they are at the top of each one.

5. Lorena

Lorena Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    I just open a new clan for active players: TOUCHARCADE VIP

6. fabell

fabell Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2016
    This is for the most part true, except with one key factor -- content.

See, with higher arenas means more content and more strategy, since arenas have special cards attached to them. Being stuck at lower arenas (under 4) isn't any fun because you don't have the cool units like the Pekka or AoE debuffs (like poison). So by putting that content behind a paywall that does not help the atmosphere with ftp players who want to enjoy the game without necessarily being at the top of the leaderboards, but still have access to the cards available.

7. Wizard_Mike

Wizard_Mike Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Texas
    I think us ftp players can still get there, it just takes longer. Eventually you'll level up your towers high enough that it would likely be impossible to stay stuck at the lower arenas.

8. sinagog

sinagog Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2014
    Had to quit. Those carefully meted-out waits were tailor-made to consume easily-addicted suckers like myself. Adieu, Clash Royale! It was a brief but heady affair.

9. fabell

fabell Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2016
    No doubt, no doubt, and Supercell would be crazy not to continue updating the game, so we'll get there soon enough. But like all curves, it doesn't get shorter, only longer. Eventually we'll be competing with that middle group who has spent some money and we'll either have to outsmart those we fight or wait for them to leave the room so there's space.

10. KinakGames

KinakGames Member

Feb 24, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    I posted a bit of a review.

Short version: I've been enjoying the game, but the bottleneck on chests (pay us or get the pop-up saying you're not getting more cards every time) is killing it for me.

Cheers!
    Kinak

11. jared9876

jared9876 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Dallas TX
    Am I supposed to be losing more trophys per loss than I am gaining per win? Seems weird and if you lose two games in a row it sucks

12. houseofg

houseofg Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 1, 2013
    I think it depends on your opponent's level...?

13. Vestid

Vestid Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2012
    If anyone's interested I haven't purchased anything and just hit arena 6 (1700 trophies). I'm level 7. Cards are upgraded to level 7 common level 4 rare level 2 epic. I've managed to obtain all cards up to arena 6 except poison the legendary and the ones I just unlocked.

14. Fastbridge

Fastbridge Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Service advisor for Honda
    NYC, New York. USA
    Just joined. I'm donafello

15. HotHamBoy

HotHamBoy Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2015
    #835 HotHamBoy, Mar 14, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
    Another update from me:

Just to recap: started out a hater, now I'm an addict.

The game is really good. I think the key to enjoyment is patience. I presume most of us have other games we can play between chests if having unlocks is important to you. I think the carrot-on-the-stick number-chasing that all modern gaming has evolved towards is ruining the fun of just playing a game for the sake of playing it.

I firmly believe the game is not pay-to-win, but pay-to-advance-faster. You can still out-play someone if you're using slightly weaker cards, and match-ups aren't always going to be favorable with this much variation. Likewise, you can have great cards and still make a poorly balanced deck or a series of bad plays.

To-date, I've spent $8, however I still have almost 10,000 gold. I keep it for the occasional epic I want, or to push towards an upgrade. I don't believe you need to spend money to enjoy the game if you don't mind waiting. I also think that the game provides a ton of great entertainment for nothing.

If you asked me to pay for the game up-front, I would be happy to pay about $15. That would be an absolutely fair price, and $15 worth of gems would be plenty enough to last you quite a long time if you make smart purchases. You don't have to spend anything, though. I do find it strange that some people are adamant about remaining F2P players, yet get upset that their hours of enjoyment are impeded by an urge to give the developers money. If you are really enjoying your time with the game, throwing the developers a couple bucks every now and then will increase your enjoyment quite a bit, and you can feel good about supporting the people who made the game. This game and its F2P model is a massive improvement over Supercell's previous hits. I think some people really just want games for free, with no pressure to support the developers at all.

Let's keep in mind that F2P has become the dominate model because people just don't want to pay for anything and it's the easiest way to get your game into as many hands as possible. Plenty of indie developers will tell you that the premium model is rarely ever profitable. There is good F2P and bad F2P, and I think this is pretty good. If the game was balanced as to never compel you to spend money, then no one would spend any money! You can't keep the lights on if there is no revenue.

16. fabell

fabell Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2016
    As intended, it seems, the higher you go. I'm sure Supercell adjusts this number on the fly based on how many are losing/winning to control the flow versus number of players. I don't envy the data scientists.

17. souskei

souskei Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2009
    #837 souskei, Mar 14, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
    New clan created!

Soul Shots

0 Min Trophies.

Come Join! Be active, donate, and be nice or be kicked! #

18. TywinTheVile

TywinTheVile Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2013
    Be nice? I'm out.

19. HotHamBoy

Feb 1, 2015
    Hey, so I just checked out some replays for the first time. What are these diamond-shaped cards? Super-ultra rare? They seem pretty OP. Are they difficult to obtain in the higher arenas? Because they might have me re-evaluate my entire opinion of the game.

20. HotHamBoy

Feb 1, 2015
    Nah, you should alter the games you play to fit your personality. The app store has thousands of quality premium games at low, fair prices (often undervalued, honestly, due to the platform market). There are F2P games that aren't like the chartbusters that are really generous, if not merely ad-supported.