Universal Clash Royale (by Supercell)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by oscar123967, Jan 4, 2016.

1. TywinTheVile

TywinTheVile Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2013
    My thoughts as well. I don't understand the hype surrounding this game. Makes me sad to see TA users up in arms all the time about Freemium games and then gobbling what SuperCell offers up to the spending masses.

2. nodoctors

nodoctors Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2009
    It is dull, but it is efficient. It becomes much more of a problem at higher levels. There will be some matches where we just stare each other down for 10 seconds at a time with max elixer, and not just at the beginning either. I don't think you can ever change that because of how the game is designed in favor of giving value to the player reacting. If it makes you feel any better about quitting, this is the only game in my entire mobile gaming hood, which is practically the scene's entire lifespan, that has almost made me squeeze my phone into dust and throw it at the wall. There is just something so inherently frustrating about it that I don't even get from ranked Counter Strike or League.

3. KeKhan

KeKhan Well-Known Member

May 28, 2012
    Not to sound like a jerk, but you guys are doing it wrong.
    The person waiting is ALWAYS at an elixir disadvantage. It's more effective and efficient to deploy if you're at max elixir. Deploy in combos. Or deploy a defensive building.
    Then the waiting person reacts, but meanwhile your elixir is full again and you have troops on the field.

I've seen people try this waiting game on me many times, and I just crush them. Bad tactic.

4. nodoctors

nodoctors Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2009
    #644 nodoctors, Mar 6, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
    I'm floating at 2300 trophies in the Royal Arena as a complete F2Per. I'd say it works out very well for me. To expand upon this, the previously linked Gamasutra article(which is a superb vertical slice on the game and its monetization loops) touches upon this very aspect of gameplay.

"A defending player has an advantage in Royale. Firstly, the defending player has the Tower, which shoots at all attacking units. But most importantly, the defender has the advantage because the attacker has to reveal his cards first -allowing the defender to counter those cards. If the defender consumes less Elixir on defending units, he will have the advantage in a counter attack. Also, if the defender is able to destroy the attacking force without losing his defenders, he will automatically counter attack the attacker with the survived defenders."

I understand that your idea is that if you're the first to spend elixer, you're the first to gain elixer, and will always have elixer momentum. But this completely disregards the core strategy of the game which is elixer trading. If the first player has a poor elixer trade where all of his units get AoE'd by a single card, he is no longer in the lead in that elixer race. You must trade efficiently, and knowing what your opponent is playing is how you do it.

5. So this is literally the waiting game. No only do you wait on chests, but you're even sitting around and waiting during the battles.

6. gmattergames

gmattergames Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2013
    The game is definitely a phenomenon, and I don't get it either. There is something about it, that strokes the right receptors as people are into it. I'm thinking it's the whole "play order" efficiency tactics bit that gets most folks, that and the chest timers. The whole "waiting" to open you booster pack does something to people.

7. TywinTheVile

Sep 24, 2013
    Perhaps you're correct. While those players are waiting around I'll be blowing stuff up in Lost Socks, wandering the world of Crash Lands, or spending time with just about anything else lol. I'll check into Royale every 4 hours to open my chests hehe.

8. Gluskap

Gluskap Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2015
    I've just beat someone in clan with friendly match. At the end of the game we both said gg after that in chat he said "f*ck you mate" then he quit from clan. =D

9. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    I dunno. If we're both waiting at the beginning I usually just throw out some cheap spear goblins or something to get the match going. Doesn't seem to put me behind much.

10. TywinTheVile

Sep 24, 2013
    Sounds like a valuable member, shame y'all had to lose him

11. TywinTheVile

Sep 24, 2013
    Question for those playing. If you have no room for chests do you play to push rank or wait till you open some chests to make room for new ones?

12. jbsib

jbsib Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2011
    Waiting for your opponents to make a move in order to tactically counter makes the game much more interesting and strategic than if the winning strategy was to vomit your troops into the field.

Also to those saying you shouldn't wait for your opponent to make the first move, watch clash TVs- all the highest level players do it.

13. TywinTheVile

Sep 24, 2013
    What if you're both so stubborn no one moves. Seems boring as shit if you ask me, then again no one asked me #. But seriously I am curious as to strategies here, i genuinely want to understand why this game is fun and if I wait and my opponent waits and no one gives in where is the fun? I'm glad Supercell finally got another game out of softlaunch but I'm sad it is this one.

14. spader623

spader623 Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2014
    Is anyone else having problems getting epics? I know they're rare and all but it seems my opponents have witch or skeleton bomber or balloon bomber and I just can't counter that very well

15. eventide

eventide Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2012
    Am I the only one who got 1170 trophies, unlocked the peka arena, then promptly went back down to 970 trophies and lost the arena because of a losing streak?? #

16. jbsib

jbsib Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2011
    Well your elixir caps at 10 and so if you play nothing you'll waste it, hence why eventually a move is made. It basically just means that for the first 20 odd seconds you shouldn't throw out everything you have.

17. nosoup4crr

nosoup4crr Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2011
    @toucharcana: I've been trying to get everybody on board with this. Every day, you'll get a new rare or two in the store. It costs 40g. For donating it to a clan member, you receive 50g and 10 xp. If two people trade the favor, each effectively gets a free rare, 10g, and 10xp.

Everyone should be checking what rare they have in their store, daily. Tell clan chat what it is. And someone can request it.

18. TywinTheVile

Sep 24, 2013
    Not a bad idea there.

19. kaply

kaply Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2013
    Works similarly for commons, I think first one was 3 coins second one is 4 coins fifth one is 5 coins. You get 5 coins back and some xp for donating the commons.

20. imdakine1

imdakine1 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Addicting... Not a fan of f2p but decided to try this and the ease to play hood you immediately.... Wowsers. No wonder why theses take in hundreds of millions of dollars a year with their game. I never played their original clash of clans but this one is ridiculous!

Would love a single player campaign which I know isn't their intention as a multiplayer f2p game but traveling in planes limit my time with this game!

Need to put down and remember that I detest f2p games....

Interested in joining a clan!