Universal Clash Royale (by Supercell)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by oscar123967, Jan 4, 2016.

1. Fangbone

Fangbone Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    I like the game but don't know if I'll stay around for the long haul. I want to be able to progress when I play a game. If I can only progress once every 3-8 hours then that means I'm only playing like 3-6 matches a day that really matter. So with each match only lasting a few minutes that means I'm playing 10-15 minutes a day that really counts towards progressing in the game. I guess that's what Supercell wants. Heck if I know. Just like the idea of being able to play a game when I want not when the chests say. And this is why I try to stay away from ftp games (big exception being Vainglory which is ftp in the loosest sense). I should've listened to my inner Yoda.

2. oscar123967

oscar123967 Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2012
    I probably get an hour of progression play time a day from this game. Probably double if a skip a day of playing and I have to unlock my crown chest twice. Thats just about the perfect amount of time for me

For most people, like myself, this is just going to be a secondary go to game. Short play sessions, intense and satisfying matches, daily tasks, timers -- its perfect for that type of play.

If you want to play this game religiously with a sense of progression (you can absolutely play this game religiously for fun) then sorry there is going to be a price tag. A big one if youre really hardcore about it. And if you cant deal with that then don't bother with the game. Its how these games monetize and nothing will change it.

3. Jayg2015

Jayg2015 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Male
    Player 1
    Liberty city
    This game is fun but unless u r rich u can't level up.

4. kellstrand

kellstrand Member

Apr 29, 2014
    I'm in Arena 3 almost Arena 4, I've spent no money. People complaining about this are pussies.

At this point people complain to complain and their opinions are the equivalent to Yelp reviews.

5. Zunda

Zunda Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2014
    I’m currently in the third arena and every game is played around Goblin Hut/ Tombstone rush simply because they are OP. Although I tried to counter them, none could work and I ended up joining them after all. I hope Supercell tweaks the balance since those matches are really boring.

6. gaymerX

gaymerX Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2014
    Why are opponents able to drop enemy troops on my side of the arena? Every now and then an enemy will just pop up right in middle on my side? Is this a special card, spell, or??? It's frustrating when it happens.

7. spader623

spader623 Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2014
    The counter is bombs. Or the... Frap I forgot her name but she has her swinging AoE ax. Also if you get a rocket it really helps to destroy one entire building (hut or tombstone) though I will say that's my strategy usually: swarm them with small units and try and use a giant or big one as a shield

8. spader623

Jan 18, 2014
    If they destroy a crown tower, they get more room on your side. It's not huge but it's a good way to press an advantage. If not... I'd guess a goblin barrel (I think it's able to be thrown anywhere on the map and can #### uou up if your low on hp) or just general projectiles

9. ahfusim

ahfusim Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2012
    Honestly, this game will be 5 star for me if

1) Selecting opponent is based on deck power ( or in a % with trophy )

2) When a lower-deck-power player wins a game, some little rewards maybe?

3) Stop showing only top ranked players' matches in TV Royale. Some are "funny".

Conclusion: The chest timer, chest slot, paywall is fine. But this game deserves better, try to create a more fair & competitive platform. And u deserve 5 star.

10. spader623

Jan 18, 2014
    So those 3 issues make it a 1 star...? Really dude?

11. ahfusim

ahfusim Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2012
    Agreed. So sad for the most earning game developer to create such typical free-to-play game.

12. RinoaHeartily

RinoaHeartily Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    What do u mean an hour of play? U can keep.playing and move up the ranks.. What's wrong with you people seriously

13. Jakeopp

Jakeopp Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2012
    #553 Jakeopp, Mar 4, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
    While I understand the frustrating associated with losing to high leveled people with seemingly unstoppable cards, accounting for levels just wouldn't work IMO. The trophy system is very CoC-like in that the higher leveled people will be able to get higher in trophies than the lower ranking people. If low leveled people were able to get as high as the higher leveled people then ultimately spending money on the game is less important. Forcing lower levels to level up to "climb the ladder" will give people reason to spend on the game, especially near the top.

(Not saying you have to spend to progress in this game, just that it will obviously speed up the process a ton) the link in the post below explains it very well⬇️.

Quote from article: "As players continue to play they quickly plateau. Firstly, they start losing battles to players with higher-level towers and/or units. Secondly, they will get pinched on Gold as every card upgrade becomes quickly very expensive."

14. Touchmint

Touchmint Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Developer
    Phoenix
    They are there to make money not to make a game people enjoy. The whole game is nothing but convincing you to spend more money. Now I'm not saying it's not fun but their #1 goal is to make money that's why they make the most money.

This article outlining their monetizing loop is a great read to understand how they set your mind up to spend.

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/SheldonLaframboise/20160222/266309/Breaking_Down_Supercells_Next_Hit_Clash_Royale.php

Keep in mind they have teams of psychologists that know how people think and how to capitalize on that.

While I'm not a fan of what they are doing I do realize they are going to make the most money ever off this game in mobile and maybe any game ever. This will change the mobile industry with a shift towards even more freemium and tactics like this.

15. geno11233

geno11233 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Veryy good to know. I'm glad I didn't get into coc and played this soft launch so i didn't have to catch up and be tempted to spend.

It does such to read that coc made more than any console game last year...

16. Vestid

Vestid Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2012
    I agree. I'm at 1,600 trophies (level 5). Haven't spent anything, probably never will. Missing 3 epic and 1 legendary.

17. Jakeopp

Jakeopp Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2012
    Made it to 1600-1700 and hit a wall, been stuck there for weeks now...kept getting matched against golem/elixir pump armies that feel pretty unstoppable at this point. Though I'm sure someone will be kind enough to inform me that I'm using the wrong counter cards :p

18. oscar123967

oscar123967 Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2012
    #558 oscar123967, Mar 4, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
    One thing I think they should implement in the game is only being able to match people with the same level. It seems as if people in the early stages of the game are having a tough time with the matchmaking

I said progression play. Ofc i can play after that if i wanted to, but an hour is enough for me :)

19. KeKhan

KeKhan Well-Known Member

May 28, 2012
    You're using the wrong counter cards.

20. Kiven

Kiven Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Male
    Frustrated Wrestler and Lifelong Gamer
    Philippines
    The matches are short enough for quick plays, the max of 4 chests makes playing at some point unnecessary, the iap isnt required to progress, i can play for fun if i dont have much time and if you wait enough and play enough you will gain access to the higher cards.

For me, Its a great complementary game to all the daily grind going im doing in other games with timers.