Universal Clash Royale (by Supercell)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by oscar123967, Jan 4, 2016.

1. geno11233

geno11233 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2013
    I'm definitely am considered somewhat of a "new gen" gamer, yet I totally agree. Yes it would be nice to just something extra, but I really don't think they should or even need to give us anything more. I'm mostly worried about keeping my trophies up and having fun with the game (when I win) haha

2. geno11233

geno11233 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2013
    I've been playing since soft launch and have a level 3 baby dragon and Lv3 witch but haven't even gotten one prince ##

3. sivad

sivad Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2013
    #443 sivad, Mar 2, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
    Is there an active TA clan?

Edit: disregard, I found that it's full

4. oscar123967

oscar123967 Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2012
    I think there are different genres of gamers, its not necessarily a generational thing. There are gamers who love to game but prioritize progression and gamers who solely love to play the game.

Some people just enjoy the sense of progression and I've been there before (WoW and Pokemon just to name a couple). Working towards something and finally achieving it is very satisfying.

I think Halo 5 (the game I'm mainly playing these days, so why not use it as an example) demonstrates this pretty well. The community is split 50/50. One half mainly plays to collect the hundreds of items they have in the multiplayer, the other half plays because its Halo and its fun. Each side has a variety of ages.

You might have people in their 30s dropping some cash/grinding to get items or people in their teens grinding away. These are the people who mainly play the Warzone game mode that is based around the whole unlock system.

On the flip side you have people in their teens or 30s just playing for fun. These guys usually play Arena (classic halo game modes, aesthetic items only) or jump into custom games and just have fun playing

5. Bucktroo

Bucktroo Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 29, 2011
    Male
    Analyst
    Natural State
    I'm from the same generation as you (from what I can tell age-wise).

Like I've stated, I WISH there was a better reward system for progression. I don't think the game "owes" me anything, but I do like pretty shiny things.

This is why achievements really make me happy.

6. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    Consider yourself lucky - I use my level 1 baby dragon and level 2 witch and bench my level 4 prince! I wish I had these levels you've got for the dragon and witch! I'm at around 1500-1600 trophies and since the prince is countered quite easily, don't use him.

7. Havelcek

Havelcek Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 30, 2013
    I think you got to the heart of the matter there. I do miss having the *ding* moment in which feeds my achiever complex. Having been in the beta for a long time, I got desensitized to the *ding* of opening chests. You realize pretty quickly that each chest does relatively nothing to assist your progression - you need many weeks worth of chests, plus good deck strategy, plus the luck of your hand in-match, plus basically skills. Spending money just buys you more copies of the same cards, which just buys you a few more trophies. What's keeping me playing this game, as opposed to CoC (which I burnt out on a long time ago) is that its just the 3-minute match. You really don't need to keep up with the Joneses by playing constantly in order to build a base and defend a base and rebuild a base and attack a base, etc. etc. Its just really simple.

Meanwhile I play Factorio on the PC for mind-numbing complexity =P

8. Havelcek

Patreon Bronze

Apr 30, 2013
    My point is simply that acquiring gold ultimately just leads you to fighting the same matches against higher rated people. You still have the same cards and same strategies for those cards. The higher level players simply have higher level versions of the same cards. I've been playing beta F2P for a couple months and I have at least level 1 of every card in the deck - so acquiring gold is simply a path to increasing the level of those cards.

I find the basic gameplay really compelling, and I like the clan mechanics. Its the quintessentially perfect mobile game for part-time players.

9. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Isn't the "ding" moment of actual progression graduating to different arenas though, something you can do right now with no limitations beyond your own skill?

10. Tahoe

Tahoe Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Been playing since CAN soft launch. Just started a new clan today "Young Volcanoes" if any TA fans want to join.

11. Bucktroo

Patreon Bronze

Apr 29, 2011
    Male
    Analyst
    Natural State
    That's a good point. I hadn't looked at it that way.

I wasn't trying to argue that this was P2W or anything, just getting other's thoughts on this. I'm enjoying the game a lot, just wish a few things were different. But I've only played it a few hours, so my judgement is still very basic right now.

12. Havelcek

Patreon Bronze

Apr 30, 2013
    That's one of the moments for sure. You've basically got new card, level a card, move to a new arena.

Probably with the latter is when you get stuck in a trophy no-mans land you ding arenas a few times a day =P

13. oscar123967

oscar123967 Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2012
    #453 oscar123967, Mar 2, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
    Reaching a new arena > getting a new card any day :cool:

PSA to new players: unlocking your crown chest may seem very easy at the beginning. Once you reach a balanced trophy count it'll take a while to unlock it. You won't be winning as much and even if you do you'll most likely win by only 1 crown.

14. Bucktroo

Patreon Bronze

Apr 29, 2011
    Male
    Analyst
    Natural State
    Okay, so after a few more hours in...I'm realizing something. The chests are a kind of like Hearthstone dailies, only in Clash Royale, you actually get more cards overall.

It's starting to grow on me. Spent my first IAP (for support more than anything) and it's just as fun opening those chests as it is new packs in Hearthstone.

15. FlyingC

FlyingC Active Member

Aug 15, 2015
    this is like having cocaine on my phone, soo good

16. Bucktroo

Patreon Bronze

Apr 29, 2011
    Male
    Analyst
    Natural State
    Anyone interested in staring up a Touch Arcade secondary clan, since the first is full? (I'm still super new to the game or I would start it up).

I'd rather start donating cards to people from here, not randoms :)

17. houseofg

houseofg Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 1, 2013
    For those looking for second TA Clan.

18. bageljoy

bageljoy Member

May 15, 2014
    I'd be down to join a secondary clan

19. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold