Universal Clash Royale (by Supercell)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by oscar123967, Jan 4, 2016.

1. Bucktroo

Bucktroo Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 29, 2011
    Male
    Analyst
    Natural State
    Is there a TouchArcade clan yet?

2. shadowkhai

shadowkhai Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2012
    Thanks for the responses. Makes a lot of sense. Just a bit of tweaking to the mindset of playing and progression.

Total newbie but having fun.

3. Milotorou

Milotorou Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2015
    Theres been once since the soft launch but we are full atm :/

4. Bucktroo

Patreon Bronze

Apr 29, 2011
    Male
    Analyst
    Natural State
    All good!

5. Bucktroo

Patreon Bronze

Apr 29, 2011
    Male
    Analyst
    Natural State
    So just finished the tutorial and I now have all 4 chest slots filled and waiting. So what do I have to gain to keep playing right now while the slots are full? Do I still get gold? Random chests?

6. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

You get crowns which allow you to rank up to higher arenas, this unlocks additional cards you can open in your chests.

7. Bucktroo

Patreon Bronze

Apr 29, 2011
    Male
    Analyst
    Natural State
    I gotcha. I see that it has a trophy system like CoC as well. So I guess I could always keep trying to climb there too. I LOVE that there isn't an energy system!

8. PhoenixAG

PhoenixAG Active Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Downloaded it. Have been playing it non stop since then, even though I am at work :D

It's a great game and I can see it being really one of my most played games as the matches are nice and quick.

9. Sieghart

Sieghart Active Member

Dec 6, 2013
    My only gripe is that you can only open one chest at a time (not counting crown chests, I think). I know suggesting the chests to be opened simultaneously would be rejected. But currently as it is, I think it wouldn't be a bad idea, it feels to me getting gold is actually more troublesome, hence you're sort of capped when it comes down to upgrade your units. I'm not that far into the game yet, I'm only at the second arena so I don't know if players get more gold from chests the higher the arenas we play in.

10. Bucktroo

Patreon Bronze

Apr 29, 2011
    Male
    Analyst
    Natural State
    So I'm already feeling the need to spend some cash to build decent decks (NO I'm not saying you must, YES I know people did just fine in soft launch without spending a dime).

But for me personally, if I'm going to spend cash on something building decks, I'll stick to Hearthstone. I can at least earn gold every few victories.

Not griping, but I can't see enjoying this for a long amount of time. Once I have 4 chest slots full, I have no reason to continue playing while I wait (aside from trophies).

This is simply my opinion. I think the game is incredibly fun, super polished, etc. But I just don't like feeling 'gimped' by having no real reward to keep playing throughout the day. It feels like a weird reversed timer to me.

11. oscar123967

oscar123967 Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2012
    I think this game is more generous than hearthstone when it comes to deck building. There are not too many cards and you can buy cards directly from the shop

12. Bucktroo

Patreon Bronze

Apr 29, 2011
    Male
    Analyst
    Natural State
    Well, the cards you can buy only refresh every 12 hours, but I see your point.

Maybe it's just not a game for me. Still playing it just to play. But I'm not sure if I'm playing it because I'm enjoying it or if I'm playing it because I think it'll become a "next big thing" for iOS lol

I REALLY wish we could earn gold with victories though. At least reward those for grinding out. Even a small amount per victory. Maybe only have a payout for 3 crown victories.

13. Lonegunman

Lonegunman Active Member

Dec 19, 2015
    You get trophies and crowns for crown chest, if its available :)

14. bageljoy

bageljoy Member

May 15, 2014
    It's a very fun game, but these timers are bumming me out. I've already gotten the crown chest for the day, and 3 hours to open a base chest seems a bit long. Also, any consensus on what's the best thing to spend gems on?

15. Bucktroo

Patreon Bronze

Apr 29, 2011
    Male
    Analyst
    Natural State
    In regards to the crown chest, it's basically a "daily" reward. 20h timer is what mine shows.

16. Havelcek

Havelcek Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 30, 2013
    Not trying to be argumentative with you here but getting gold from matches would only slightly speed up your "progression". At the end of the day you'll have a few more cards and maybe have a higher trophy count, but what does that matter? You are playing the game to win the 3-minute match...having more gold ultimately just results in you getting matched with higher level people to the same effect. You still need to win the matches through strategy and luck. Not dissimilar to Hearthstone really.

I typically spend a lot of money on IAP, especially on competitive games. For some reason I don't feel that need here because its so simply clear that I'll just be competing against slightly higher level folks to win that 3-minute match.

Maybe I'm crazy.

17. Sieghart

Sieghart Active Member

Dec 6, 2013
    is this really how it works? At this point, number of trophies seem a more accurate factor to use in the match making algorithm, given how you can easily buy gems and then convert it to gold. I don't know, it just feels weird.

18. Bucktroo

Patreon Bronze

Apr 29, 2011
    Male
    Analyst
    Natural State
    You make a good point. Maybe I'm just looking to much into this? I just feel there should be some type of reward for getting victories. I guess the trophy system is technically that reward. Which leads to achievements, which leads to gems, etc.

I don't have a problem spending IAP (if the game is right for me). I'll keep giving this more time and really see what I want to do.

Currently sitting at 500 trophies and I've enjoyed getting here, but it doesn't feel super rewarding to me yet.

Aside from my personal pickiness with games, Clash Royale is an incredibly enjoyable game.

19. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

What's kind of fascinating to me about modern gamers is how much we hammer home how I better be rewarded for playing something. Isn't having fun in a game you enjoy reward enough? When I pull through a particularly close victory (or even a super close defeat) I walk away from that game going, "Man, that was awesome." Admittedly I'm likely from a totally different generation of gamers though, so I wasn't really trained that I should be quantitatively rewarded for everything I do in a game so maybe that's the difference?

20. sivad

sivad Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2013
    I do that, but to the opposite extreme... I'm usually close to winning and get hit with a barrel of dang goblins... Really induces extreme swearing.

This game is very fun...I'm lazy so I didn't do the soft launch, but it's good...

Yes has extreme timers, but if you want to wait them out, it's really for added perks.

I am avid "hater" of CoC, and this game has same monetization...yet it is extremely fun.
    I honestly think it's because if I have 5 spare minutes, I can play and then go, don't feel like I need to check on it every 5 minutes...

Another reason for the non tension in this game is, I can't relate it to another non FTP game from my "golden age of gaming". Perhaps that is why older gamers hate FTP strategy games while younger crowds do not, they didn't see Warcraft 3 or c&c type games, which CoC resembles but with the usual shenanigans.

Because this game has no basis for premium comparison... It's a dead on favorite.

Of course I could be wrong but that's the beauty of my opinions... I don't care because it makes sense to me :)