Universal Clash Royale (by Supercell)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by oscar123967, Jan 4, 2016.

1. Snotty128

Snotty128 Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2013
    You can spend money but what does it really get you? You advance faster, your troops level quicker. Youre a whole month in front of the people who wait for unlocks. However you progressed so fast now youre playing with other people who paid to be in front, or spent the last month levelling up. If you paid to win, but can only play others who paid to win, then who wins?

2. aconfusedkender

aconfusedkender Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2012
    Oil & Gas
    Kendermore, Ansalon
    supercell wins!!! (;

3. nodoctors

nodoctors Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2009
    #323 nodoctors, Jan 23, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
    Bingo. You just figured out the trick. This is the precise rhythm of most any "competitive" f2p multiplayer game, and it is tried and true. You see it, I see it, but guess what? It works like a charm. Humans are easy. Believe me, the moment this game goes live worldwide, countless people on this forum are going to dump money into their troops for temporary advancement.

4. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

But what difference does it make if they do? I drank a $30 bomber of beer last night which I literally pissed out moments ago. How is that any better or worse than buying some cards in a video game I enjoy?

5. EvilDucktator

EvilDucktator 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Sep 28, 2011
    Walt Disney World Cast Member
    Brisbane, Australia
    Shame it crashes at 33%-50% on the first screen after the company logo. Even if I log out of Gamecenter, close all apps and restart/power off. This is on both a Pro and 6S Plus.

6. Snotty128

Snotty128 Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2013
    I hope youre getting a case of beer for your $30. Most popular, best value!

7. Montanx

Montanx Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2012
    San Diego
    We need more memes for iap and buying games in general.

"Says $3 too expensive for mobile game.....Spends 200 on extra lives in candy clash: The flappening."

"Says can't afford $20 worth of Iap a month for a game that's super fun....spends $20 a week on Starbucks milkshakes, calls it coffee and doesn't bat an eyelash."

8. andysmash

andysmash Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Haha. Spent 2,000 (earned) gold on an epic card because I was one away from the upgrade, leaving me with 45 gold. Opened a chest a minute later and got the same card - but now I can't afford the upgrade because I spent it all. Gift of the Magi here. If j had waited two minutes if be 2,000 gold richer and with the same cards.

9. SpikeGuy

SpikeGuy Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    The Oatmeal covered it well. :)

http://theoatmeal.com/blog/apps

10. fabianb

fabianb Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    1942 trophies! :D

11. oscar123967

oscar123967 Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2012
    Wow thats pretty damn good. Currently sitting at 1555

12. Card

Card Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    Toronto Canada
    Even worse... you can spend money or you level up like normal, you advance, maybe even one day get to the LVL 12 common card max.

But I found out that like Clash of Clans (since I don't play that game) - Supercell will increase the max level of cards, so you never really catch up, you're on a never ending treadmill. There is no way you'll ever be equal to paying players or even reach the end no matter how long you play.

Am I wrong? I hope I'm wrong. Because the toucharcade clan is a great group of people to play with.

13. Montanx

Mar 3, 2012
    San Diego
    No your not wrong. The number of cards needed to get max levels is far, far beyond realistic F2P or even most pay to play amounts. You need to spend thousands, hundreds wont get you there. Plus they will indeed raise level caps and add new cards. This is all pretty par for the f2p course tho, since thats the only thing attracting whales to games, otherwise it dries up. Best not to think of it in terms of reaching max or topping the leaderboard, that will never happen. Its still an incredibly fun game and competetive nomatter what level you or your troops are at.

14. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

LOL, well played.

15. aconfusedkender

Sep 28, 2012
    Oil & Gas
    Kendermore, Ansalon
    Ok so I noticed this anomaly myself and don't know if there is any "proof" to this or not but I had 5 cards at one point waiting to be upgrades and EVERY CHEST I opened gave me more of those damn cards that were waiting to be upgraded. The shitty part is that they were useless cards and nothing relevant to what I use. I wonder if there is something to having a card waiting to upgrade and getting the same cards? I might have to try that experiment out and keep one of my rares or epics at upgrade and see if I continue to get more...

16. Montanx

Mar 3, 2012
    San Diego
    Dont think so. I think this is one of those psychology things that has a name like "occams razor" or "murpheys law" or something. Your enforcing your suspicion by only noticing when it lines up with your hunch and ignoring the times it doesnt. I dont know the name for it. Confirmation bias?

17. Card

Card Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    Toronto Canada
    #337 Card, Jan 25, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
    "Best not to think of it in terms of reaching max... that will never happen. "
    Then why play at all?

Sadly I just deleted the game. The wife will be happy.

It's a great game no doubt; was the first game that was taking me away from Hearthstone (since 2014). That alone means it's going to be a huge hit.

I saw the max'ed out players on TV Royale, and was like - no worries, one day (for example say 1 year from now and with some purchases) I'll have maxed cards and we'll have our own epic matches.

But once I found out Supercell will increase the max card levels - I instantly checked out. As a paying player, I'd never stop paying or as a f2p player, I'd never catch up... yikes, no thank you. From being tempted to spend real money to deleting the game. Craziness. Supercell did make a fantastic game though. I don't want to cause any drama.

p.s: Continue to kick ass Toucharcade clan... some really cool cats in there.

18. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

Confirmation bias and superstition run DEEP in collectable card games. It's funny hanging out in game stores and watching people pick out packs of Magic cards. I've got a friend who SWEARS by only buying packs off the bottom of boxes because "The good cards are never on top."

19. andysmash

andysmash Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    My aunt works at Supercell and she says they put all the epic cards in second and fourth chests, so open those first.

20. aconfusedkender

Sep 28, 2012
    Oil & Gas
    Kendermore, Ansalon
    Oh damn Eli! That harkens me back to the days when my buddy Jonathan and I would go buy Magic cards and we would literally lay out a few packs and run our hands over them until we "felt" the one! I still do that to this day and I'm the same age as you when it comes to slot machines and lottery tickets (if I can afford them) we eventually got to the point where we said #### it and just ended up buying whole boxes of booster packs so we didn't have to worry about the stresses of picking the "right" or "wrong" pack :)